Toshiba chip DS-1

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by wildbill59, Feb 23, 2020.

1. wildbill59

wildbill59 TDPRI Member

First off - I know that no DS-1 is 'rare' or 'valuable', they're 50 dollar pedals brand new, there's millions out there, and for as many people there are that love them, there's just as many people that hate 'em. That being said: I've picked up a couple real cheap in the last few weeks, I was planning on tinkering around with them, trying some mods and such. One of the older ones intrigues me - it uses an ACA adapter, has a black label baseplate, is made in Taiwan, and has the Toshiba TA7136AP preamp chip. I've read that when they moved to Taiwan from Japan, they switched from the Toshiba to a ROHM op-amp chip. Mine is a made in Taiwan Toshiba chip - is that like a 'transitional' model? from what I can tell, the preamp chip is more desirable. Again, 'desirable' is relative, they're not high-end boutique pieces of equipment. But I do enjoy poking around with pedals, and learning what I can about them. I've had them apart, and I can't find any serial #, or any numbers at all in the body itself. The board has some #s, but I haven't been able to decode any of them, they don't seem like serial numbers. The #s on the top side of the board are: DS-1 (ET28F) ; and ET5205-5108B. The bottom of the board is stamped with: DS-1 2291032607; and 052-286. I check with a serial number decoder - the only one that it accepted was the ET5205, it said that it was May of 2005, but that's impossible - it can't be that new what with the ACA and the Toshiba chip. I know it's not real important, but just one of those things that I'd like to know. Any thoughts on the mfg date, or about the combo of the ACA and Toshiba chip being made in Taiwan? Sorry about the ****ty pics, and thanks in advance! upload_2020-2-23_2-47-10.png upload_2020-2-23_2-47-38.png upload_2020-2-23_2-48-8.png upload_2020-2-23_2-49-2.png

2. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

I can’t answer your question directly, but if you are interested in modding pedals and modding the DS-1 particularly, check out Monty Allums. He has mod kits that are a blast to perform (if you are into such things) and yield great results. I have a whole shelf of DS-1s, easily my favorite distortion (as opposed to overdrive) pedal. You don’t have to apologize for liking them :p

http://www.monteallums.com/pedal_mods_DS1.html

wildbill59 and Airbrake like this.
  3. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

wildbill59 likes this.
  4. wildbill59

wildbill59 TDPRI Member

Thanks, Verne! Yeah, they're a lot of fun for very little money. Thanks for the great link, lots of good info there. Time to break out the soldering pencil!

5. wildbill59

wildbill59 TDPRI Member

6. wildbill59

wildbill59 TDPRI Member

Thanks, Otto! So that's good to know - looks like it had to have been made between 88 and 94. Great links too, I appreciate the info!

7. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

You’re very welcome. I just scored a DS-1 from ‘91 myself, the pre-94 era of the pedals are the version that made them famous, unfortunately the ones post-94 can be a bit more scooped and fizzy. Still workable, but I much prefer the tone of the pre-94 circuit.

8. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

wildbill59 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.