1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Toshiba 6V6 tubes

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Craig Williams, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Tele-Meister

Hi, living in Thailand and tubes not easy to find. Seen a guy here (I think hifi guy) selling Nos Toshiba valves. Would these work ok in my Fender Super champ Xd? I didnt know there were Japanese manufacturers

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

They should work fine if confirmed to be good, not dead.

I forget what brand name but there was a factory set up in Japan with Mullards tooling that often sold under the GE brand.
    Their el34 looks like a Mullard but has a seam across the end of the bottle.
    Better than many new production tubes for long life but not considered great or bad.

tubelectron likes this.
  3. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

Do you mean Matsushita?

Archtop Bill likes this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Right matsushita but I’m not familiar enough to be certain of what all branding might have been on Japanese tubes back then.

5. TheDams

TheDams Tele-Holic

Shhhhh... don’t tell the secret !

I’ve been using Matsushita made tubes for years (branded RCA). They are indeed great !

telemnemonics likes this.
  6. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

That factory made tubes for several brands. Good stuff.

Abu Twangy likes this.
  7. Craig Williams

What about Tube amp doctor (TAD) valves? They seem to be about the most plentiful and reasonably priced here

8. Craig Williams

Oh, I saw someone selling NOS RCA valves too, but they are metal casing tubes

9. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

The Toshiba 6V6 (I assume 6V6-GT) will work fine in your SCXD. Be sure to set the bias voltage. At the test point, the factory spec is 42mV. The Toshibas should be able to take more than that. If it were my amp, I'd play through the amp at 42 mV and then at 45 mV and see if I liked one setting more than the other. YMMV.

NOS RCA 6V6 metal envelope tubes should take the SCXD 375 VDC plate voltage ok. The only downside is that you can't see if they're redplating with that voltage on them. Have the chassis open and meter at the ready to set the bias when you turn on the power. The metal envelope is tied to pin 1 of the base and the SCXD circuit doesn't use pin one for anything, but while you have the chassis open be sure that no one has tied anything to pin 1 for a previous modification. You don't want to find the metal envelope connected to high voltage. If you bought the amp new, then it should be fine. The RCAs should sound good in that amp. Don't pay more that $15.00 US for them. Even the RCAs are not in demand.

I've never used TAD, but they seem to be one of the better choices among new production tubes. They will offer no advantage over the Toshiba, IMO, and I'd expect the Toshibas to last a lot longer.

If you don't know how to set the bias voltage and OBSERVE SAFETY PRACTICES SO YOU DON'T ELECTROCUTE YOURSELF, then take it to an amp tech, please.

Frankie likes this.
  10. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Tele-Meister

a variety of japanese tubes were made in the late 1960's and 1970's that are excellent sounding tubes in guitar amps. In some ways they are rich vein of the last supply of NOS around. Very good value on todays market.

11. Craig Williams

I ended up getting some TAD 6V6 STR's. Delighted with them.

12. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Meister

Matsushita is what is known outside of Japan as Panasonic :)

Southpole likes this.
  13. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

Long ago, I had some NOS 6BE6 tubes labelled... IBM International Business Machines ! :lol: I think I still have some of them somewhere... o_O

Sure, Japanese tubes are OK ! I have some 6240G and 7247 (12DW7) labelled LUXMAN, IRCC.

-tbln.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.