Toronto Tele Stores

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by pompeii0, Jun 4, 2009.

1. pompeii0

pompeii0 Tele-Meister

I am going to be near Toronto and was wondering where a good place to check out some new, used and vintage Teles would be. I know of the 12th Fret, but where else is there?

Thanks!

2. brokenjoe

brokenjoe Friend of Leo's

Capsule Music on Queen near Strachan!
    They've got a website.

3. Newfie_J.

Newfie_J. Tele-Meister

Gotta check out Long and McQuade. All new stuff, but they had some real nice teles last summer and the service was good.
    There was also a pricey, but cool vintage/used guitar shop just around the corner from Kensington market. Can't remember the name of it right now.
    I actually had a tough time finding decent used guitars and effects on my last trip there. I'm not in the loop I guess.

4. Tycho

Tycho TDPRI Member

Long & McQuade (the main store, at Bloor and Ossington) has recently become a Custom Shop dealer, and they have some cool Teles right now. They are sort of hidden toward the back, so if you don't see them, make sure to ask.

12th Fret happens to have about three or four nice vintage '60s Teles right now, in addition to their usual great stock. Check their site under "Vintage/Used".

Ring Music on Harbord Street is a smaller place that is often left out of these threads, but they usually have some nice Teles (new only). That's where I got my American Nashville B-Bender.

In addition to lots of old Fenders, Capsule always has a few great T-style guitars and partscasters from other builders. They have a couple of Nashes and Billy Rowes right now, as well as Shyboys, which I believe are made by someone affiliated with the store. They also have a great Esquire style "Barncaster" by a young local luthier, Alastair Miller. Make sure you check it out while you're there. It's made of reclaimed pine from an old barn, with a Fender lap-steel pickup from the '50s, and it sounds incredible. I intend to get one of Alastair's guitars sooner rather than later. (Disclosure: he is a friend of a friend and I've met him. But I met him because I wanted one of his guitars!)

Oh, and Steve's (which would not normally be at the top of the list for Tele shopping) had a great Custom Shop '64 Relic Limited Edition until yesterday.

But now it's in my house. :)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  5. Tycho

Tycho TDPRI Member

Paul's Boutique.

It's funny, I spend way more time in guitar stores than I should, but I never go to Paul's, I guess because I'm almost never in Kensington Market. I should probably check it out more often.

6. Worn

Worn Tele-Holic

Encore Music Exchange has Teles now and then. Ignore their website, hasn't been updated for quite a while.

7. mildwild

mildwild Tele-Afflicted

If you are going to go to one store Capsule is the one.

It is mostly used guitars and cool ones at that. As another poster mentioned check there website http://www.capsulemusic.com/ to see some stock.

It is right downtown and parking is easy as well. You can walk Queen Street or the the street car a few stops to the heart of the city.

8. Tycho

Tycho TDPRI Member

When are you coming? The Luminato Guitar Festival starts this weekend, and one of its events is a tour of Capsule conducted by Kevin Breit. That's this Monday at 2:00. (Capsule isn't normally open on Monday.)

I feel like the last thing I need is a tour of Capsule, especially for $15, but I'm going to go anyway. It will be interesting to see what Mr. Breit has to say.

9. casterway

casterway Friend of Leo's

Go to the 12th fret and see Domenic Troiano's Tele, as well as go to The Orbit Room, and see Sisters Euclid perform.

10. Tycho

Tycho TDPRI Member

The Sisters Euclid residency at the Orbit Room is over as of this week! Monday was the last night.

11. casterway

casterway Friend of Leo's

That's a drag! I got to see Sisters Euclid at a local folk festival 2 years ago. Blew my mind!

12. monstereo

monstereo TDPRI Member

I have to say that Brad at Capsule Music on Queen Street in Toronto makes the most incredibly excellent quality telecaster style guitars,... and exactly the way you want them. The name is "Shyboy". I got him to make me one with a 50's style body, a soft V neck profile with a rosewood board, aged hardware, and vintage Lollar pickups. As insane as I am about modifying guitars, this is the only guitar I have never changed in the slightest. I wouldn't dream of it. It has a thin nitrocellulose finish and it resonates amazingly well. You could honestly make a record with it without even plugging it in. I've seen vintage telecasters for sale in town at some shops for tens of thousands of dollars, probably destined for a glass case in some Rosedale mansion never to be played. I spent 1500 on mine and for me there is no better telecaster in the world.

13. IggyT

IggyT Tele-Afflicted

the 12th fret on Danforth is world class

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.