Tornado sirens went off

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
No basements in homes in the Tampa Bay area - high water table makes it impractical. Never been in or seen a tornado and the only hurricanes I've weathered occurred when I lived on the Jersey shore. Then again, the last hurricane to hit Tampa was 101 years ago. Hmmm ... maybe we're due?
A few days ago I saw a headline about a driver in the Tampa area who was killed when his car struck an alligator on the road. So there's that. Come back to the Garden State!

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Not cost effective if you don't own them for other reasons, but I have 2 of these for video recording. Even at 25% power, they completely light up a room and last all night. Full charge in 3 hrs from USB. . . $70. . . pretty colors . . . and it has a convincing red and blue police light mode to scare away looters after the tornado (no, I am not paranoid).

1648656458098.png

Twofingerlou

Tele-Holic
Now that you've distracted me from my desk work and got me thinking about an emergency kit ... How about the LED head lamps that hikers wear? Do you think they'd be effective?

I have probably almost a dozen of these scattered around, in my go bags and at least one in all my trucks. For the money they’re hard to beat, they run off AA cells, has a red SOS mode as well. Clips on both ends, the top comes off and you can hang it upside down, and they’re waterproof. I also have the larger version that runs of D cell battery’s. The smaller ones aren’t as bright but plenty bright enough, have a longer run time and cheaper to operate.

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
Living in northeast Texas we see a lot of tornado watches, alerts and the real deal. Like a lot of people I don't have a shelter can't afford one. But don't despair, as of now I am currently working on the development of an inflatable tornado shelter. It is based on the quick inflation life raft. Basically it is an inflatable hole you can throw anywhere in the yard pull the cord and climb in. It will take some time for research and development. However I believe this would be a good opportunity for investors. Think about it. Will keep you posted.

bluesfordan

Friend of Leo's
I have flashlights everywhere and buy batteries 100 at a time. Some rooms have more than one. I carry one whenever I go out after dark and I have one of those headband lights as well.

I don't have a bug out bag and I really should. One thing that most peeps don't think about is keeping an extra pair of underpants (pants to our UK bros), cuz you never know :D Socks also are not a bad idea.

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
I hope all y’all can stay safe. It’s a nasty looking line of storms. I just heard a report of a cell moving along the line at 84 mph! That’s kind of extrordinary!

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
Bad weather sucks.
I’m an hour east of Baton Rouge and an hour north of New Orleans.
We have that same line of severe thunderstorms due to pass over us this evening.
I’m currently typing this while listening to the wind rattle the loose metal roof on my cooler shed that I am still trying to repair since hurricane Ida last August.

Well… at least it doesn’t snow around here.
I'm about half an hour or so east of 985 Plowboy. There is a tornado watch stretching from the Gulf Coast to Carbondale, IL.

I hope we all stay safe!

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
Another prep item if your local water supply isn't gravity feed from a huge regional tank is water for flushing toilets. Fill your tub(s). Then you're good for limited manual use for quite a while. If your tub drains aren't water tight, fix them up now ... or get some thin rubber to seal them off.

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
Alarms went off here too around 5-5:30, they canceled the warning at 5:45, the front must have moved through pretty fast. Hope everyone in the path of the storm front is ok.

Geoff738

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m pretty far North, but tornadoes are becoming more common. Not good.

Cheers,
Geoff