Tornado sirens went off

rand z

Friend of Leo's
I hear yea and have been there, gotta do the best with what you have. They say your bathroom is your best bet unless there’s a window in it.
Interior closet or, at the worst, under a stairs.

IMPORTANT: STAY FAR AWAY FROM WINDOWS.

Most injuries and deaths from tornados are caused from flying glass.

imo.

stepvan

Tele-Afflicted
About a hour and a half ago. I grabbed my SHTF bag, flipped on the news and made my move to get the dogs down in the basement. My tornado alley folks will know the struggle, I think they might have spotted some rotation on the radar but I’m not sure how accurate the radar is for such detection.

Was a wild ride for a minute Thunder and rain wise But they said the storm was moving fast which it did. Regardless not my first rodeo but I always kinda get a adrenalin dump when this happens, all is well now.

A few years ago we had a F4 touch down about 15-20 miles from me during the evening. Sirens went off for a while then stopped, then the rain stopped for a bit and I thought the smoke had cleared. I poked my head out the door and I’ll never forget that sound in the sky. It sounded like a hundred F16 fighter jets roaring over the house. I’ve never seen one in person but hearing it that close was enough for me.

Point of this post? We all live in different climatic areas, different weather disaster potentials. That said I advise to get you a SHTF bag and stock it with some essentials….

First aid kit, some quality flashlights and battery operated lanterns and not cheap Walmart clearance stuff. Extra battery’s for said devices.

A can opener and some canned goods with a decent shelf life. Some snacks like granola bars ect and obviously store some water where you might have to retreat. Check and rotate your perishable items when needed. If you have pets I always keep a extra bag of dog food on hand because you never know.
I spent some time in the Midwest earlier in life and as sure as California has earthquakes, you will definitely learn the siren drill if you have spent time in tornado alley

Twofingerlou

Tele-Holic
Tornadoes are freaky; had a big one touch down about a mile and a half away from our place last year. Tore up that neighborhood pretty badly, but some houses just south of the area struck were completely untouched--one house on the north side of one street was all messed up, and the house across from it still had pinwheels decorating the potted plants.

Yep, they can completely wipe out one house and leave the one next door un touched. The one I mentioned in my original post a few years ago. I was driving down a highway the next day, I was a good half hour south of where the path ran through and there was barn tin and debris all over the side of the roads. One guy was on the news and found somebody’s mail 50 miles north of where it hit.

The worst part is they are hard to predict they say, and can pop out of nowhere. I’ve been in some nasty storms coming home and glanced over to see what looked like something trying to form then it just disappeared. That’s the nearest I’ve been than actually seeing one on the ground.

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I have been in two and near many. One of those long term memories is of one about fifty five years ago and the tornado took the concrete roof off a school I was in, at a Pack Meeting in Cub Scouts, and flattened three blocks in front of the school. In the middle of those three blocks on the slab of a house was a kitchen table and chair with a half full sixteen ounce bottle of Pepsi and a glass sitting next to it. The house was gone. It was surreal.

985plowboy

Poster Extraordinaire
Bad weather sucks.
I’m an hour east of Baton Rouge and an hour north of New Orleans.
We have that same line of severe thunderstorms due to pass over us this evening.
I’m currently typing this while listening to the wind rattle the loose metal roof on my cooler shed that I am still trying to repair since hurricane Ida last August.

Well… at least it doesn’t snow around here.

bluesfordan

Friend of Leo's
@Tenderfoot good luck

we don't get many tornadoes in NH, but in 2008 I was having my first cataract surgery. As I lay on the operating table, I hear this almighty roar. "What's that?" "Rain outside" The surgery theater was not on the top floor of the building and we still heard it. Turns out the tornado started about a mile from the hospital and tracked east towards the coast, where it eventually killed a grandmother trying to protect her grandchild. 4 fatalities since 1821 in NH from tornadoes.

GeneB

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
No basements in homes in the Tampa Bay area - high water table makes it impractical. Never been in or seen a tornado and the only hurricanes I've weathered occurred when I lived on the Jersey shore. Then again, the last hurricane to hit Tampa was 101 years ago. Hmmm ... maybe we're due?

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Lived through earthquakes, floods, hurricanes and nearby tornadoes (last week several in the surrounding areas of Houston). I'm so confused now, I've adopted the Air Force left-hand mill-around pattern method of reacting. Just kidding, being properly prepared is the key to any possible event. Saving your life is priority one, everything else is a distant second.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
That movie freaked me out. What really freaks me out though is seeing the absolute devastation they cause when touching down.

Yeah man.... I've been through 4 of em in my life. One literally formed right over my head! That one ended up being an F3. That was a day to remember man... to see the inside of a T and live to talk about it, was a shear miracle. Was near an F5 once, at night, driving down the highway. I didn't know it at the time, but it was 50 miles away and it was all I could do to keep my truck on the road! The force of pull was that strong. What you see in that movie is very real in form, but not even close to 1/2 of the fear and power in reality. I've seen stop signs drove into concrete walls like a knife through butter, and hay and straw drove into wooden fences and siding like pins in a cushion. Crazy stuff man, and terrifying to behold.

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
@Tenderfoot good luck

we don't get many tornadoes in NH, but in 2008 I was having my first cataract surgery. As I lay on the operating table, I hear this almighty roar. "What's that?" "Rain outside" The surgery theater was not on the top floor of the building and we still heard it. Turns out the tornado started about a mile from the hospital and tracked east towards the coast, where it eventually killed a grandmother trying to protect her grandchild. 4 fatalities since 1821 in NH from tornadoes.
A couple of days after getting a heart valve replaced, the nurses came into my room in the middle of the night and wheeled me into the hallway (along with every other patient on the floor). . . I didn't care. 🥴

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
That said I advise to get you a SHTF bag and stock it with some essentials….

First aid kit, some quality flashlights and battery operated lanterns and not cheap Walmart clearance stuff. Extra battery’s for said devices.

A can opener and some canned goods with a decent shelf life. Some snacks like granola bars ect and obviously store some water where you might have to retreat. Check and rotate your perishable items when needed. If you have pets I always keep a extra bag of dog food on hand because you never know.
Now that you've distracted me from my desk work and got me thinking about an emergency kit ... How about the LED head lamps that hikers wear? Do you think they'd be effective?

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Now that you've distracted me from my desk work and got me thinking about an emergency kit ... How about the LED head lamps that hikers wear? Do you think they'd be effective?
you can get a blister pack of them at costco for cheap. We keep an unopened pack at the house and at the cabin and two headlamps in each car.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
As for flashlights - I have 2 D cell Maglite's that I can use as a hammer to bust through drywall and such, if I had to. I'm very thankful that we've never had to use them for such a purpose.