1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Torn between 2 Jaguars

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by mysticguitar, Apr 15, 2021.

1. mysticguitar

mysticguitar TDPRI Member

I'm torn between the Player Series Jaguar and the Vintera 60's modified hh Jaguar. I'd like to get a one with a hummbucker, a Player Jaguar has one in the bridge and is significantly cheaper in price than the Vintera Jaguar. So what is the plus side of the Vintera Jag? Better hummbuckers? Better sustain? Better bridge? Better Tremolo?

2. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

I’m not familiar with either, but i have a strong bias towards jaguars having single coils and traditional electronics.

Piggy Stu, CCK1, Mad Kiwi and 5 others like this.
  3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'd get the Player. TOMs on Jags are not ideal. I like the traditional trem placement, and I love the J. Marr 4-way switch. Coil split is cool, I like mine on a Duo-Sonic.

There's no better tremolo here, both are likely the same. The Player bridge will be the usual offset deal, get a Staytrem, etc. etc. I like the Player because it keeps the Jag neck pickup, and leaves open lots of cool options for the birdge--whatever comes with is not a big deal to me, it's an HB. Sustain not an issue either, with both models. As long as the guitar 'bones' don't make it an automatic dog, it should sustain plenty enough, even with a stock bridge. Tidepool for me, hands down.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    Fretting out and buster poser like this.
  4. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

Better than being torn apart by two jaguars.

5. BorderRadio

jagtwosnake.jpg

6. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

I agree with the above, go for the Player. I play Jags regularly and I think they have a very unique tonal range and the short scale feels quite different to play.

[​IMG]

JL_LI, BorderRadio and 24 track like this.
  7. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

If I were going to get a Jag I'd go for the traditional one, no humbuckers. Otherwise it's just a Jag-shaped guitar with humbuckers.

But it depends what you want.

8. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was expecting an. Axe and a car

9. mysticguitar

I really don't want to mess with buying a staytrem bridge as the don't exist and I like Hummbuckers.

10. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

The best buckers in a Jag come in the Cobain model.

TeleUpNorth likes this.
  11. mysticguitar

Why are they the best?

12. BorderRadio

It's part of the deal, you know standard response. I try not to seem like I want to 'convert' anyone to offsets, be an apologist and all that. I love 'em, and I know what works for me to get them playing as good as anything else.

I owned a Blacktop Jazzmaster with a similar bridge to the Player and I modded it to make it stop shaking itself down. I used lacquer on the grub screws, teflon tap on the bridge post threads, also standard procedures to a good setup. Staytrem does all that for you. I have a 2012 Classic Player Jag as well, with a TOM. Not my first choice but it was cheap and it's a solid guitar. I replaced the TOM with a high quality roller bridge. Not bad after that 'adjustment'.

Good news about Staytrem? It's available in the US again, and no, they didn't jack up the price to absurd levels.

13. G3Hanz

G3Hanz TDPRI Member

Maybe the neck finish can help you decide, the Player neck is satin laquered on the backside while the Vintera is high gloss a.f.a.i.k.

14. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Holic

I was about to say that Staytrems aren't available in the US, so your post surprised me. There's also the possibility of getting a Marr bridge with the 52mm spacing.

That said, I'll throw some gas on the single coils vs hum buckers topic and just say this: What's the point of getting a Jag without the Jag single coil pickups?

15. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

I am probably a minority but I like heavier sounding pickups in a Jag. Mine has filtertrons but I am sure I would have liked PAFs as well. Higher output pickups mask the plinky sound that a short scale Fenders can have. I would go for the Vintera.

16. BorderRadio

Yep, already ordered one, even though I sold my other three before lol.

The Marr bridges were cool when Staytrems were hard to come by, but only for 7.25" radius. The AmPro is the equivalent for 9.5" but both of those are not the same as the better engineered Staytrem. The AmPro, when you can find it, is still 89 bucks. The Staytrem is 70£

17. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Get the vintara if you plan to use the vibrato. If you want a Jazzmaster/Jaguar bridge to work without buzzing or running the saddles down, just shim the neck and adjust the string height. It is as easy as that. If you are running 9s or lighter, shim the neck and raise the saddles up. Then adjust the bridge itself down to gut the string height correct. A TOM is the worst bridge choice for anything with a vibrato.

18. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

I went round this merry go round last October. I decided to go for the Player series, but with a plan to do some upgrades. The Vintera models may have 7.25" radius if you go for the 'Standard' model, the 'modified' has 9.5" radius, but adds humbuckers.

Despite having played a 7.25" radius Strat for nearly 40 years, I wanted a change, so I went for a deal on a Player series with 9.5" radius that had been hanging around in a shop for long time (I'd been watching ;) ). It had a very rough Pau Ferro fingerboard, rough frets and sharp fret ends, but all stuff I knew I could sort out during our second UK lockdown...

I found a set of used '65 Pure Vintage pickups, some other non standard chrome bits and added an Eric Clapton mid boost (I've got one in my Strat and my Tele). I plan to sell the original Player pickups and wiring loom/scratchplate to partly offset ;) the costs, but it's stll less than the Vintera would have cost me. I also changed the tuners for vintage slotted ones since I prefer them when restringing (all my other Fenders have them). Again I'll sell the original ones on at some point.

Since I'm in the UK I added a Staytrem and prefer the spacing too. I did try thread locking compound on the original bridge, but the Staytrem is a worthwhile improvement IMHO.

I still plan to strip the body and refinish in Candy Apple Red nitro, with an aged finish, but so far just enjoying playing it. I find it a nice change from my 7.25" radius Strat and my 'fat 51 U neck 9.5" radius Tele.

This is the day I got it (I'd already swapped the knobs for Tele ones as I didn't like the Player series skirted ones):
    Jag Floor 1.jpg

During the rewire:
    Mid 4.jpg

After the mods, before I took the label off the new (Parchment) pickguard. I'd given the PF fingerboard 3 treatments of 'Montyspresso' wax which has made it a little darker, but also really smooth:
    Jag 7.jpg

I run Ernie Ball 10.5-48 Mega Slinkies on mine. I think it came with 9s which are far too thin for a short scale IMHO.

PixMix and BorderRadio like this.
  19. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I played a Vintera modified Jaguar for two seconds over a year back. Best manicure I've ever had. If I had of continued playing it would have taken my flesh too. Worst first job ever, period.

20. mysticguitar

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.