1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Toploader opinions

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Norton72, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Cowboydan

Cowboydan Former Member

I have both. I have no real preference, they are both very good wither way, whatever..

2. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Well thanks! I thought you'd recognize it, since it's just like the one you're getting! :p

3. Nogbad

Nogbad Tele-Holic

One out of my three Tele's is a Top Loader. Great Guitar...no audible difference. Slightly looser feel when bending that it!

4. drett

drett TDPRI Member

I wouldn't worry about the toploading issue. I had one on an MIM tele and had no problems with sustain, even next to my string-through tele. The much bigger sustain issues I have with bolt-on guitars are wolf tones and dead spots. And by the way, Les Pauls and their ilk are known for their sustain and are a certain kind of top-loader.

5. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

Great point!

6. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

I love top-loaders.

7. JeradP

JeradP Former Member

I JUST got done playing my CV50 (not a top loader) and put it down, then picked up my SX Tele copy and thought "Wow this SX is easier to bend". My Squier Bullet (top loader) is very easy to bend. I have a Washburn that isn't a toploader and it bends nice too, but the top loaders just seem "more flexible".

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I don't care for the headstock, just to get that out of the way.

The body of the guitar looks cool. The issue with the guitar is not that it is a toploader, but that the choice of that bridge is not a good one. There are few bridges out there that are less satisfying to own than this one. You could convert it to a Fender '59 toploader bridgeplate and my concerns about it being toploader would be erased.

9. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

10. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

I think his dislike is for the 6 barrel/hammer type saddles that are used on this model. They tend to need a lot of attention/adjusting. Just replace them with 6 modern box type saddles like I did..these are how the Squier Top loads come these days with the modern 6 box. Heres some pics of mine..:cool:

Attached Files:

• 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      41.4 KB
      Views:
    • 04.jpg
      04.jpg
      File size:
      33.4 KB
      Views:
    • Pic 6.jpg
      Pic 6.jpg
      File size:
      35.2 KB
      Views:
  11. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Thanks, Matty,

I might go that way if I can find a lefty. I'm thinking the lefty 3 saddle bridge that I gave the link for might work too.

I hope Boris comes back to explain his comment "There are few bridges out there that are less satisfying to own than this one". I see lots of tele's with this bridge, so I'm interested to hear what he has to say.

I didn't think I was in a hurry to change out the bridge, but we'll see. :)

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Jim, give this bridgeplate a look:

http://www.darrenriley.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=2141

You will have to drill 6 tiny holes in the back edge to accommodate the strings.

A quick search will show images from me of just about every bridge that's been used on these bolt neck guitars. I try 'em all. The strings and the saddle hardware on the bridge you have get enmeshed together and the resultant sound is junky. IMO, of course. :)

13. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

My MIM Squier came with a 6 barrel, flat plate, modernish bridge. Rattle bridge.

Good advise from Boris as usual. I used a similar bridge as he posted, but the $12 vintage Fender bridge from MF. I drilled 6 string holes at the back edge. Easy to to. Put the bridge plate into a vise, mark the holes with a sharpie, center punch so the bit won't slip and drill away.

14. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Dont waste your money on Fender bridges .The wilkingson version is thicker and more solid .

15. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

The thin bridge has something to offer that thicker ones don't, and vise-versa. I prefer a thin bridge plate. If they don't feel "solid", check your mounting screws. YMMV.

16. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Thanks Boris and to others commenting about the bridge. I respect everyone's input.

I think I'm missing something. Referring to the link that I gave above for the lefty bridge and the link Boris gave, what is the difference between the two, besides one needing to be drilled and the other already has the holes. Is it the mass of the bridge?

I've got the same guitar as the OP, but if it appears that I'm hijacking the thread just let me know. Thanks :)

17. Rusty Rivers

Rusty Rivers Tele-Meister

Toploader worked just fine for Mr. Page.

18. franchelB

franchelB Friend of Leo's

I haven't been convinced that a string-through bridge is better than a "top-loader"...and vice versa.

19. Telematic74

Telematic74 NEW MEMBER!

Thanks all guys for your good infos, i'm a toploaders too, i own a MIJ fender and since then feel proud to hang with this guitar.. it twang me out with great sound..

20. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

Isn't this where someone ususally posts the Kid Ramos video?
    There might be some audible tone difference but how much of that is top loader or, size of the neck, body wood density, pickups, overall setup and the list goes on. In a blindfold test who could tell? You might be able to tell a difference but I doubt anyone could say with any consistancy that that's a top loader or that one's a string thru.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.