Top Telecaster Content (Cropper) - 1967 Stax Revue

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by knavel, Oct 24, 2015.

1. knavel

knavel TDPRI Member

One of my top favorite videos. Maybe my favorite as I've watched it so many times.

Cropper's Tele has the best sound I've ever heard (is it the Marshall backline?)--plug it in and go. Duck Dunn is beyond cool. Booker T and Al Jackson Jr.

Then of course Arthur Conley, Eddie Floyd, Sam & Dave, Otis. I could talk about it a long time. I have read that one esteemed member here was in attendance at the show. I would love to hear more about it from him.

2. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Platinum Supporter

Thanks for posting this show,knavel!:)

A bit of trivia: They played two shows on that same day. I don't know if this is the first or the second one (probably the second), but I was at one of them, sitting in the far back though.

The master of ceremonies - a local promotor and artist manager, Barry Matheson - was the guy who actually arranged the whole thing. He was a big fan of the artists and the music, but ended up losing $10,000 of his own money - which was a considerable amount of money at the time. He was still real happy about it. A great guy who later became the manager of my own band, JohnMcJohn, from 1968 to around 1972(?).

All of the equipment - Marshall stacks, PA, organ and drums - was borrowed from a local band, called The Vanguards. They were managed by the same guy, Matheson. The musicians only brought their instruments, and there was no sound check. The guys arrived 10 minutes before the show was supposed to start!:eek:

Steve Cropper actually brought two identical blonde Teles with him on the tour, but one was stolen - probably in Oslo. I'm innocent!:oops:

The pretty young girl at the front row with the hood @6:52 - Åse Kleveland - later went on to be Norway's Minister of Culture! She was from my hometown and our parents were rather close friends. I knew her, but we weren't really friends. She was actually a great folk singer and acoustic guitar player already as a very young girl. She had a real deep voice that every Norwegian recognize.

Many of our best-known rock and r&b artists are also seen in the first couple of rows.

As for the music itself, my favorite part of the show was Sam & Dave - in spite of Otis. Maybe because I've always loved harmony singing, and I think they had the best songs.

3. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Wonderful both footage and testimony from Telemarkman. Thanks both. This is why tdpri is so brilliant.
    Had to go to Youtube to play.
    How cool is Steve Cropper in this? The band so tight.
    Might have to put my single ply on my Oly white '60s Classic and run through my Marshall 50 head later!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  4. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Guess it won't play in the US.

5. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Not for me either - bummer!

6. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The Stax show toured the UK also at this time !
    I watched the concert as a teenager in Manchester, (probably at the Free Trade Hall) ....
    although I'm afraid my memory is not as good as Telemarkman's! All the acts were tight, but it was probably the horn sections that were most impressive to me as I had not seen many bands with horns up til then.
    Stax was always a hot label for R&B fans and later I was also able to watch another of my favourite Stax stars - the great Albert King... happy days!

7. Telemarkman

Thanks, rze99!

And I put a a single ply on my 60's as soon as I got it! ;)

8. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

9. Telemarkman

You can buy it from amazon.com:

[​IMG]

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

11. telemnemonics

This link works for the video, but I'll try again to embed it.
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ztgrh

12. knavel

knavel TDPRI Member

Wow. I mean really. Wow. If I could go back in time this is the first concert I'd go to. God bless Barry Matheson. He should have made a million from this, but it really says something that he cared more about the music than the money. In my own feeble way, I am trying to organise a new band with a friend and we both don't need the money. I said, "We should have the horns, who cares if it's money out of our pockets...isn't a few quid worth it to make that music happen live and be part of it?"

I love that someone was doing enough production to get Sam & Dave's boots with the Mar-Keys in the background stomping in unison.

When you say "pretty young girl" that narrowed it down to most of them(!), so I had to go watch. I thought maybe the one you were talking about is the blonde who is jamming massively to Otis at the end (53:42) but is also splayed on the ground during "My Girl" at 44:19.

It's funny you bring up your preference for Sam & Dave here. I confess I feel the same way. Their three songs were perfect. Their showmanship made them REALLY difficult to follow. I am only partially into Otis' covers as much as his own stuff and 3 of his 5 are covers, and the originals are the best two. I thought Eddie Floyd was great too.

I just can't believe the MGs could turn up and play equipment they've never seen and get (to me) their best sound. Cropper's solos on "Green Onions" just smoke--a combination of his finesse and that incredible sound.

I always thought the show was longer. Was it just an hour? Maybe the video is a combination best of both shows.

13. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Booker T and the MGs were a primary influence on me, from the moment the drummer in the band brought a Sam & Dave record into rehearsal one day in 1967 and said, "Hey, check this out, these guys are good."
    This band is great, Cropper is great, Dunn is great, Booker T is a huge talent, and Al Jackson Jr is, for my money, one of the greatest pop music drummers ever. That timing--wow. Rock solid. Anyone who thinks this band is not all-time great should take their guitar out and try to play with them.
    The grooves are so deep--just wow.

14. Telemarkman

The one I mentioned is the serious looking dark haired girl first spotted @6:52 and then again @8:59. She's wearing a sort of hood/cap. Looks like little red ridinghood.;)

The Marshall stack that Steve plays, most likely belonged the now world famous jazz player, Terje Rypdal. He was a member of The Vanguards at the time.

One of the verses on "When Something Is Wrong With My Baby" was lost due to a change of tape while recording.:oops: I'm not sure if the film is edited ... The show seemed longer at the time, but it's very long ago, you know. Actually the recording got "lost" in a vault for decades, and then luckily discovered only a few years back.

15. telemnemonics

That's kind of a trip that Steve Cropper played Terje Rypdal's Marshall, what style was the Vanguards?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  16. Telemarkman

I hope the videos aren't blocked over there:

17. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Great share, thanks knavel and also Telemarkman for the trivia – always a good read.
    When I see something like that I wish I'd be born two decades earlier (OTOH I would be 68 then, so ...), when music was just music and a guitar player could plug in and play. I mean I can do it now 'cause I lead of my own band, but all through the 90s and 00s I had to deal with band leaders that couldn't stand guitar if it wasn't processed to sound silly ... Gosh, I'm glad these days are over.
    For what it's worth, I saw Rypdal in the late eighties in a duo with percussions. He still played his strat into a marshall, one of the small 12watt combos that were great. He plugged straight in, miked it and all the processing and looping he was after then was done after the combo. He sounded huge.

18. binhnguyenmoz

binhnguyenmoz NEW MEMBER!

Tone it was very interesting and it is also the ancient songs that I've ever liked.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.