what she said
that joke isnt funny anymore
meat is murder
a rush and a push
stop me
unhappy b-day

tele_pathic

Friend of Leo's
Lordy....I couldn't pick a favorite: they are all my favorites. For me, The Smiths defines my entire high school experience. Meat is Murder was released my eighth grade year: I bought both The Smiths and Meat is Murder during my freshman year, in 1985. Then two more albums over the next couple of years. I listened to other stuff, but at some point in the day, every day, I would pop in a cassette of one of the four albums. And even today, as I drive around, and I drive a lot, at least one Smiths song will play from my phone.

Sometimes it's hard to believe they released only four albums really. Neither Johnny Marr nor Morrissey were as good after these albums. They were good, but not as good, or not as influential on me. I still love a lot of Morrissey's solo stuff, but not like I love the entirety of The Smiths discography.

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
If I have to pick one - Still Ill.

But it's really difficult - the entire catalog is a very very close second. The riff in What Difference Does It Make is first rate. What Time Is Now is legendary. Johnny Marr is a genius.

peteb

Friend of Leo's
Great suggestions!

I always recognized ‘How soon is now’ as their standard bearer, however I have recently read that it is not considered representative of the Smiths style.

‘Big mouth strikes again’ stands out. I hear an interesting guitar part that I will check out.

I see a couple other guitar parts mentioned above that I will also check out.

What made me open this thread was when I realized that ‘Panic’ is kind of like their signature tune and Morrissey wouldn’t be Morrissey without these lyrics.

burn down the disco

……..

Provincial towns you jog 'round
Hang the DJ, hang the DJ, hang the DJ
Hang the DJ, hang the DJ
Hang the DJ, hang the DJ
Hang the DJ, hang the DJ
Hang the DJ, hang the DJ
Hang the DJ, hang the DJ
Hang the DJ, hang the DJ
Hang the DJ, hang the DJ

(that is 45 repetitions of hang the DJ)

I think I also hear on panic is a massive bass, which could be a big part of their sound?

Last edited: