1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Top Loader Telecaster Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Ironhide, Feb 7, 2010.

1. FastMattTX

FastMattTX Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just bought this 1991 MIM yesterday - stock except for the pickups. Has a Fender Vintage Noiseless neck and Rio Grande Muy Grande bridge.

[​IMG]
    Partscaster with an Affinity body and a whole lot of switching options hidden inside.

2. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

My Creston is a top loader.

Attached Files:

3. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

my latest club member... the WRCedar Raftercaster.. in hardtail...

with the RW neck being the final guise..

about the easiest guitar to make at home...:)

Attached Files:

4. Greggr107

Greggr107 Tele-Meister

Hi guys, I have always wanted an '83 and am happy to say in 4 more days will be a NGD for me! The only tele I own is a '10 Baja, but have always, always liked these old toploaders, as you can tell I'm a big Jeff Buckley fan (along with his unconventional and tricky chord shapes and progressions), and I always wanted that blonde/cream colored toploader tele. I found one after searching over a year, it appears to be in outstanding condition minus a few dings and scratches, the owner believes the neck may have never even been off but we shall see upon closer inspection. The bridge pickup has been changed to a SD Hot Stack rail, neck pickup is stock. Anyway, I'm glad to finally have this guitar, and am especially grateful for the knowledge and passion imparted here. I will post some picks when she comes in, this is the first time I've purchased a guitar on eBay, I am hoping for the best, it's a little nerve wracking after hearing all the partscasters ebay stories.. by the way, its a heavy sucker at 9.3 pounds, compared to my 7 pound Baja :D

5. FastMattTX

FastMattTX Tele-Meister

Sounds cool - did the NGD happen? Very interested in pics and reviews.

6. chrom-freak

chrom-freak Tele-Meister

joining in here. the ashtray bridge of my mik lite ash tele is also drilled for the use with 6 saddles so i decided to try toploading because i didn't have to mod anything. i'm surprised. i didn't like 10s on my tele because of too much tension und 9s sounded kinda thinny to me. so now i got a compromise: tone of 10s with much less tension!

7. Greggr107

Greggr107 Tele-Meister

Yes it did.. twice! I couldn't pass on another one I found either. Tele#1 looks like a copy of a Buckleycaster, minus the chrome PG. It was in OK condition when it came in, it has the stress cracks at the neck pocket and moderate fretboard chipping/wear, but hey, natural relic in all its glory. I did end up getting it re-fretted and set up.. The sound: AMAZING :D Just the sweetest neck pickup, then again I play alot of Grace stuff, so it sounds spot on. I'm just very happy with the tone I am getting from it through my Blues Jr, I even got an old Alesis Quadraverb to mess with which is fun.

Here's Tele#1:

Attached Files:

• tele1.jpg
      tele1.jpg
      File size:
      32.2 KB
      Views:
    • 1.1.jpg
      1.1.jpg
      File size:
      29.6 KB
      Views:
    • 1.4.jpg
      1.4.jpg
      File size:
      44.1 KB
      Views:
    • 1.2.jpg
      1.2.jpg
      File size:
      28.6 KB
      Views:
  8. Greggr107

Greggr107 Tele-Meister

And here is Tele#2.. it is in incredible condition for its age, bought it from a guy who owns a ma and pa music store, he is the second owner and has had it since 1990.. it has a beautiful flamed neck, and is just in very nice shape. The previous owner had it set up with 11's, so I had it set with 10's and it plays wonderful.. however for some reason I can't get that same sweet neck tone that I do with Tele#1.. I'm not sure why. It just sounds a bit muddy to me, I have A/B'd them and spent hours trying to figure it out but so far nothing.. Both are supposed to have stock neck pickup, maybe I have to take a look inside and see whats going on. It still sounds great, just different than Tele#1.

Here she be:

Attached Files:

9. Justin_D_Myers

Justin_D_Myers Tele-Meister

I guess I'm joining the club!

1994 MIM. Absolutely love the black and maple combination.

[​IMG]

10. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

I'll be joining soon with this.
    [​IMG]
    Say hello to the Sow.

11. Twinkie

Twinkie Tele-Meister

So both my 60 Tele and 61 Esquire are of the original era of "Top Loader" bridge.

I hope they qualify.

Attached Files:

12. breadhimself

breadhimself NEW MEMBER!

Hey guys, I don't own a Tele yet, but I've been searching for a 83 Toploader, I don't suppose anybody here wants to sell one?

13. Ed P

Ed P Friend of Leo's

I don't have one, but Welcome!!! You should have lots of fun here.

14. rockingstones

rockingstones TDPRI Member

Nice guitars but they look like the strings go thought the body, which means they at not top loader. Were they originally toploader but modded to be through body?

15. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

I have played with hybrid toploaders for 20 yrs.
    I like the top 4 topload and bottom 2 string thru, for bending on top.

Recently I drilled the high E and D as topload on my SX.

16. Greg M

Greg M Tele-Holic

Dang Twinkie, that bender has serious mojo! I bet you've kept it in it's case for the most part haven't you?:lol:

17. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Drilled out the plate on my '95 MIM Standard to go to 3 brass saddles.

TOP LOADERS RULE !

Attached Files:

18. ad720

ad720 Tele-Meister

My Esquire build is a top loader.

I wasn't planning on "Esquiring" this one but it just ended up that way. I think it works with the top-loader bridge in that 59-61 Esquire sort of vibe.

Johnson Tele body & bridge (pawn shop). Pretty sure its poplar. The finish is SOFT, no poly.
    Squier CV 50s loaded neck
    Wilkinson brass compensated saddles
    GFS Fatbody p/u
    Eldred wiring
    no-name eBay esquire pickguard
    Knobs and switch off an old tape machine

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. BadTranslate

BadTranslate Tele-Meister

1994 Standard MIM toploader Tele. Lake Placid Blue is the color. It's all stock. The pickups are AlNiCo and the body is poplar. The neck is satin like American Standards.

I got this guitar in a CL trade this week from the original owner who bought it in Phoenix, Arizona in 1996. I'm not into modding stuff so it's staying stock.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. FraKo

FraKo Tele-Afflicted

Johnson JT800 here

My avatar black tele is a cheap Johnson JT800, my very first tele I bought 10 years ago for a few bucks (the equivalent of today's 83 euros, including a gigbag, a cord and a small 2-Watt amp that looks a lot like a Fender...). It's got a vintage 1958-like 3-saddle bridge, with three slotted chrome saddles that give a very bright, twangy sound. Just two days ago I put a 2003 Fender Standard (AlNiCo) neck pup I had unda-da-bed. Nice improvement, the stock I removed being a high-output and rather harsh ceramic pup (not bad, but not my genre). The other mod is a 4-way switch I put almost immediately after purchase. I also shimmed the neck to increase the strings break angle on the saddles, the latter were a little bit too low.

Horrible pointy headstock apart, that pretty little clone was really a bargain. Stays in tune, has got perfect frets (that didn't wear, in 10 years!) and a pretty stable neck. Very light finish, you can see the wood veins on the surface of the alder body.

It's my back up, being my main guitar a modded Standard Tele. As told before, compared to my Fender it's got a spanky sound. More blues than jazz. I kept the original bridge ceramic pup (with a base copper plate) that's sorta razor edge. Anyway, I stay 90% on thr neck. It's a blues machine with a personality of its own.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.