1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Top Load or Thru Body?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Stanford Guitar, Mar 5, 2021.

1. BramptonRob1958

BramptonRob1958 Tele-Meister

I owned a Page Mirror Tele and it indeed a dual top loader or through body. It came from the factory as a Top loader and I felt easier to play. The string tension didn't feel as high. As compared to the AVRI I traded in on the Page.

Given a choice, based on the time I spent with the Page, I would choose the top loader. However, It's not a mod I would go out of my way to make.

weevilcaster likes this.
  2. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

Thru body is better because of the physics of the application. When the strings are routed from the bottom and go over the saddles, more applied pressure is there pressing down on the bridge, transmitting greater vibrations. This greater vibration, is why a Tele performs differently than a Strat, whose vibrations are dampened by its vibrato & springs.

3. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

So since Les Pauls and most other guitars in the Universe aren't thru body they don't sustain as well as they could?:rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  4. takauya

takauya Tele-Meister

I think there should be a point where it results in losing sustain with an excessive amount of the downward pressure at saddles. Am I right on this?
    Then, how much is an excessive amount? I have no idea. lol

Anyway, all I know is when I tried top-loader, it felt like a toy guitar because my fingers were used to tighter string tension of through body. I don't like the sound of thicker gauge strings on a solid body, so not willing to use them to compensate the slinkier feel or to achieve more downward pressure at saddles.
    BTW, I'm one of those guys who hate the feel of 24.75" scale.

5. Cody_J

Cody_J Tele-Meister

I have been wanting to mess around this a top loader recently. This has been good motivation for me to order one to try out!

6. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

depends on whether you shim the neck e.t.c break angle and a lot of factors, had em all played em all they were all different. one thing is for certain though and that is i broke strings a lot less on a top loader

makam likes this.
  7. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Greater compliance on the top loader would make for a slinkier feel.

8. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

Meh, each guitar is so different. I don't see it being a huge game changer top or thru.

makam, Dereksys38 and northernguitar like this.
  9. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Afflicted

I'm surprised that, with our crowd, some people aren't experimenting with these dual bridges by top loading some strings and string through for others. You know, every little tonal tweak makes a difference. :D

weevilcaster likes this.
  10. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I would add that you should mockup the whole thing with the pickguard and control plate. You should be able to the adjust the neck side-to-side a bit to get the strings centered. But if the pickguard and control plate aren't squared and lined up to the body and bridge that will look wonky.

11. mrchen

mrchen TDPRI Member

Has anyone ever did a combination of string-thru and top-load on the same set of strings? say... string thru for EAD, and top load for GBe? Curious to know what that feels like.

12. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Toploaders sound weak? Tell that to Jim Campilongo so he can finally get his shiznit together.

There's no difference in tone. There is a difference in string feel and response, however: string tension loads faster on a toploader.

Try it both ways and if you prefer one over the other, go for it.

QUOTE="Siamese, post: 10497610, member: 153511"]I'm mystified as to why Fender continues to drill six holes through the body when they could just use a top loading bridge.[/QUOTE]

Nostalgia is a powerful drug.

ndcaster and telestratosonic like this.
  13. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

@lammie200 , think about it..

the bridge centre and the neck centre are always in line, the bridge just moves away from the neck 5mm maybe to keep your saddles more forward away from the bridge screws. sometimes with intonation, the saddles might come back enough to sit on the screw heads..
    the pg still fits, though not this one.... I make my own guards to suit each build.... I routed the back for rear controls, I won't be using a chrome plate...

all good.. not my first Tele...;)

tele mock up.jpg

14. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Some players have been doing this with Les Pauls and other stop-bar guitars for years.

[​IMG]

Some players string'em up going through the bar with all strings except the B string, which gets wrapped over the top of the bar. It does affect the feel and response of the string. For some players, running the G string over the bar keeps it from going sharp when playing chords. Try it and see if it works for you.

15. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Whomever says string-through increases sustain never played a Les Paul, I say.

bendecaster likes this.
  16. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

Insensitive? That’s what she said.

17. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My all time favorite setup is string through ferrules flush to the body and over a TOM style bridge. I always go through the body of I can and I’ve broken 1 string in around ten years.

18. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Kinda sounds like two arguments for the same thing. Floppy ferrules do t exist when they have tension on them and then they go over the bridge which is screwed down. By your own logic a string through would be the best of both worlds.

19. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I agree. No harm is mocking the whole thing up though. They may find that they need to slightly affect where that center is or if they have a substandard body or pickguard shape.

20. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

If u r familiar with the difference in sound and feel of saddles set high vs low, then u know the difference in string thru vs top load. IMO it's all about break angle. Top load or low saddles, less tension and less strident highs. String thru or high saddles, more tension more strident highs. Whether it's subtle or not depends on the player like everything else.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.