Top Gear USA

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Seems like a lot of bull. :lol:

2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

It's a BBC creation/licensed product so besides constantly bashing on USA in the real Top Gear they also want you to swallow the crappy American version.

Not gonna do it.

The boneheads on the British one have personality and are funny as hell.

The American one ?

Not so much.

3. JPW2105

JPW2105 Tele-Holic

4. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There's an Australian franchise of Top Gear that is onto it's second TV network and it's second lineup of "stars".

Is it funny? Kinda. Is it as good as the UK version. No.

But to equal things out the UK version of Wipeout with Richard Hammond is dead boring. The Australain version is so-so as well.

5. Blazer

I think TopGear's anti America shtick is more a reaction to the cocky "we in the USA are great" thing that has been a part of US programs for so long.

There was this thing about a demonstartion on Greece where the protestors were wanting to get a USAF base closed there. The narrator went in a very cocky tone "if it weren't for us you'd be speaking German." overlooking the fact that it were the Brits who liberated Greece. That's one example but there are so much more things like that. At least Clarkson and his fellow presenters are providing a counter measure here, a mirror if you like. Because they also aren't that impressed with most European cars.

Lancia cars were rust buckets.

Eastern European cars were ugly and slow.

British cars fall apart at the seems

So it's not just US-made cars that are ridiculed, in fact there hasn't been a single kind of car that escaped the TopGear treatment without it being made fun of in one way or the other, as this clip of them testing how sturdy a Toyota Hilux really is.

What I do appreciate about TopGear and the British version of Wipeout (Called "Total Wipeout" by the way) is that we can watch them without commercial breaks.

6. 8painting

8painting TDPRI Member

FAIL.

I'll take my BBC version any day.

7. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

No thanks... A Pale, pale imitation. Without Jeremy Clarkson constantly referring to his "gentleman's vegetables" it's just not funny either...

FAIL.

8. <jbc>

<jbc> Tele-Holic

Top Gear without wankers is a no go.

9. Tdot

Tdot Poster Extraordinaire

It's only a 2 minute clip, but even with three Italian super cars, that wasn't interesting.

Did they just stop by the closest Starbucks to pick out 3 dullards to drive the cars? Maybe the producers nephews?

Replace those guys, the writers, director, and the cameraman. Start over then I might watch it.

10. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

The original show is only great because the hosts, particularly Jeremy Clarkson, are just so amazing good at it! It's hard to replicate that level of cool, funny, snarky greatness!

Well, if one wanted to get picky about it, the Brits wouldn't have been able to liberate Greece if the USA hadn't come into the war...

Tim

11. Ziggy

Ziggy Tele-Holic

Tanner Faust gets on my nerves.... quite badly actually.

12. Teleblooz

Teleblooz Tele-Afflicted

When the US television industry tries to clone a Brit show, the results are usually dismal. Remember "Touching Evil"? The UK version was one of my favorites; the US version stank to high heaven.

I also think it's quite telling when someone on this side of the pond starts grousing about "anti-American bias", conveniently ignoring the fact that, as noted above, they skewer everyone equally.

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I thought the US version of The Office was better than the UK, but there's allis an exception to the rule.

14. Tdot

Tdot Poster Extraordinaire

I think it's hilarious that Clarkson is always making cracks about how fat Americans are, then complains about being a fat old bloke when he's trying to squeeze into or fall out of one of the test cars. All three of those guys are just funny, and each one is a good storyteller their own goofball way.

15. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

It took several years for Clarkson, Hammond and May to develop their chemistry. You should watch the first two or three seasons of the current Top Gear series to see how lame it was at the start.

But somehow the US crew is expected to hit it out of the park on the first swing, or it's a failure?

16. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

Yep.

Tim

17. Blazer

I also have to point out another thing here. In it's original format TopGear was a much more serious show talking for example about what to look out for when buying second hand cars.

When TopGear was cancelled in the late nineties that original format (and the original team who made it.) went to channel five and produced FifthGear which basically is a continuation of what TopGear was during it's original 20 year run.

One person who didn't come along to channel five and join his former partners was Jeremy Clarkson, who wanted to relaunch TopGear but in a less serious format, make it more of a humor show about cars rather than a serious car show.

Having said that, much of the first season of that new TopGear still was very similar to what the Original TopGear was and what FifthGear were continuing to present on Channel five.

Here's the first episode of the first season.

James May wasn't there yet, the Stig was still in a black costume and the stunts as yet were minor ones, no indication yet on what kind of monster succes it would grow to be.

It wasn't until a couple of seasons that TopGear as we know it today would come to fruition.

18. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

I'd just as soon U.S. TV didn't try to remake UK shows, and vice versa. What's the point, really? The original show is in English already -- if it's good enough to remake, why not just stick with the original?

I know, I know -- money.

I noticed there's a U.S./Canadian remake of "Being Human" in the works. That's bad enough, but if SyFy ever announces a North American remake of "Doctor Who," my head will explode.

19. Blazer

I should show you guys this, this is a bit from a 1989 episode that shows that even back then Jeremy Clarkson already had his hallmarks in place.

- He mocks the Americans.
    - Makes fun of a Morris Marina
    - And his rivalry with Tiff Needell (Who's now FifthGear's main presenter) was already there.

20. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

None of those "Wipeout" shows are as good as the original "Ninja Challenge" shows from Japan.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.