Top brands for neck replacements?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Kpar17, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

This caveat presents an unknown to the constant.... what level of optimization are you seeking ?.... if something on the level of a Custom Shop guitar, then about any will suffice, since it will require followup fret work, etc., to get it optimized....

If you're just looking for something roughly equivalent to one of the better "off the rack" guitars, Sound Guitar Works, Warmoth, USACG, Musikraft, and a number of others... would be the choice. or if you're willing to do a little sanding and fret "pointing up" the AllParts neck is the best value for the money spent....

and any of them when optimized with a good fret leveling, and polishing is the equivalent to anything out there at any cost...

I might mention.. if you swap a neck on any guitar it will require a set-up to get it back somewhere near playable despite where the neck originates..

perhaps this will help ya decide how far into the swamp ya wanna wade..

http://jpbturbo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Setup-reader-spreads.pdf

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-technical/201556-fret-leveling-yer-tele-101-a.html

rk

2. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I was recently looking at Allparts necks and the truss-rod at the heel of the neck finally turned me against it. Am I alone in this or does anyone else strongly prefer headstock access?

I have had three USACG necks (both ordered from Tommy). All were larger than specified. That is, the first neck is supposed to be 1.7" at the nut, .86" thick at the first fret and .93" at the 12th. It is actually 1.7" wide at the nut, .89" at first and .96" at 12th. While the width at the nut is as specified, the weird dimension is that the neck is 1.8" wide at the second fret, so that 1.7" width is deceiving.

The second one was their '54 shape, (soft V from .85" at first to .94" thick at the 12th). It was .88" at first fret, .95" at 5th and 1.01" at the 12th. I didn't have calipers when these first arrived, so I never said anything. But that extra girth up from the 5th fret drove me crazy.

I ended up selling the second one and getting a Musikraft, which measures virtually exactly as it was specified.

3. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Here is another one to consider..

https://www.wdmusic.com/wd-music-pr...ret-neck-for-telecaster-modern-c-details.html

I recently assembled one for a guy that supplied the WD parts... and in the past WD has been marginal.. but this thing was excellent, and has the headstock truss rod adjust... 22 frets and a 12. inch radius.... not too shabby.. of late is seems as though WD is getting their "act" together....

r

dented likes this.
  4. Seanner

Seanner TDPRI Member

Used Warmoth on my last 2 builds and will probably use only Warmoth from here on in. Maybe a genuine Fender if their pricing was better.

LunarSlingShot likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Just a warning; no aftermarket necks are really ready to use. You can, but the fret ends are not finished, the nut is not setup and the frets are not leveled, although many will not need leveling.
    The best aftermarket neck you can get is a Fender replacement because they are consistently ready to use. $200-$230 finished and ready. But they don't have roasted.
    I would avoid side adjust truss rods BTW.

6. omlove

omlove Tele-Meister

When I checked allparts necks, they seem to be all in for thick and chunky profile. The TMO-C quoted here has 0.85-0.96, a "modern C" profile is much thinner. Their V shape is also very thick. I understand it's kind of a trend right now to go for a handful, but to have choice like modern C, Clapton V, or American Pro deep C, would be nice.

Also their necks seem to all have 1 5/8 nut width. No choice for 1.65 or 1 11/16.

Vintage tall fret quoted here has dimension of 0.079x0.051, while Fender vintage tall is 0.094x0.054 and typical narrow tall 6105 is 0.095x0.047.

7. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

I've had great luck with Warmoth necks. The Vintage Spec Boatneck on my Strat is the nicest neck I've EVER add. I slapped it on the body right out of the box. It was straight as an arrow (which I like) with no truss tweak, and setup beautifully and very quickly. GREAT NECK!!!

8. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't make 'em...I just recommend them. 109 dollars for a fender licensed neck with a walnut truss rod plug (in the vintage correct spot ) is just a few more dollars than regular dealer cost. It's hard to beat that price.

dented and old wrench like this.
  9. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Both will. I like using Earvana shelf nuts which will probably require a bit of filing to drop in, but it is very easy to do.

Me too. Raw anything will absorb stains like coffee, blood, etc. 1,2, or 3 coats of TruOil and you will be good to go. It will get a little darker in appearance, but it is a nice aged look without the pretense of being relic'd, IMHO.

DHart and Chunkocaster like this.
  10. Kpar17

Kpar17 TDPRI Member

11. capt pearl

capt pearl Tele-Meister

That Allparts neck link is pretty damn reasonable!

12. omlove

omlove Tele-Meister

Sorry I was nickpicking. Certainly did not mean to offend you in any way. I do appreciate their bang for the buck.

guitarbuilder likes this.
  13. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

I can't imagine, and haven't found, a better value than the AllParts necks :).

They are very close if not identical to the shape of vintage Fender necks as well, if that is a factor to consider.

Warmoth makes very nice necks.

I've got a WD neck that is a very fine neck too.

I buy my necks unfinished, and regardless of who I get them from, I find that they all benefit from some further work in addition to applying the finish.

Best Regards,
    Geo.

dented likes this.
  14. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

My favorites are by Guitar Mill. Musikraft is nearly as good, and offers way more options. But the way Guitar Mill dresses their frets and fingerboard ends is top notch, and Musikraft no longer offer ebony. Guitar Mill is the only place that uses anything even close to the original white fiberboard Fender dots (which most people call "clay" dots, even though they were not clay).

For a Squier, unless I wanted something very specific, I'd probably buy a vintage style Allparts V neck. They're very similar to '80s and '90s MIJ Fender reissue necks, and they're a good bang for the buck when you want something basic and decent for a project.

USACG is OK, though there are things they can't do (e.g. binding).

I don't dig Warmoth. Too many restrictions, and their neck profiles are few and boring/typical. I've never once been able to spec the neck I wanted from them...and I don't want that much -- mostly just vintage style necks, maybe with a tweak here or there.

My B. Hefner neck was fine in and of itself...but expensive (since they charge extra for fret work), and I will not patronize that piece of human garbage, for a variety of reasons I've posted about in the past.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    dented likes this.
  15. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Holic

that's a beauty ! congratulations.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  16. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks, it plays nice too. It's basically the same specs as a Allparts tmo-c neck only roasted flame maple instead of plain maple. The plain tmo-c unfinished necks can be had for $109 from the stratosphere. That's a great way to go for a standard neck imo if the specs suit and you don't mind finessing it yourself and applying $8 bucks worth of tru oil.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.