Top 5 Tele Solos

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by kaiserthegreat, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Easywombat

Easywombat TDPRI Member

2. itofranco

itofranco TDPRI Member

Best guitar solo of all time was recorded using a Tele. It is "Stairway to Heaven" by Jimmy Page. :)

3. Teledelphia

Teledelphia Tele-Holic

Bruce Springsteen "Backstreets". A bit short and simple, but loaded with emotion and perfectly placed as a crescendo in that classic song, not just some noodling thrown in.
    Also, another Springsteen gem, "Adam Raised A Cane"......killer Tele rock n roll tone and filled with heart and emotion. Bruce may not be an uber technical, Berkeley trained shredder but he sure can find the right notes and convey them with tons of emotion through a Telecaster. Also, check out the extended live versions of "Prove It All Night" from bootlegs of the "Darkness" tour from 78-79. Just a Tele fest of great pinch harmonics and wailing Tele tone.

4. javaguy

javaguy Tele-Meister

+1

5. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Stairway was a spectacular solo. There are so many great ones that it would be impossible to create a comprehensive list but I'll name a few I'm especially fond of.

I love Redd Volkaerts Redd White and Blue. The phrasing is awesome and the tone is spectacular.

I Gotta Get Drunk as Performed by The Little Willies is totally over the top without sounding totally over the top. It's almost a drunken guitar solo and is just awesome.

Arlen Roths rendition of Unchained Melody. Another example of impecable phrasing, spectacular guitar licks and increadible tone.

Bill Kirchens Hammer of The Honky Tonk Gods. It would be hard for me to argue the guitar licks are as spectacular as the previously mentioned tunes but this song is just dripping with cool.

It's hard to put a Brent Mason out as "best" because everything he does is so good but I especially like Since I fell for You from Smokin' Section.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  6. slap dat

slap dat Tele-Meister

+2

Quite possibly the best composed solo ever.

7. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Platinum Supporter

That's a Strat.

The only Hendrix solo that could possibly have been a Tele is "Purple Haze". This is well documented.

8. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

I don't know what kind of guitar Amos Garrett used on "Midnight at the Oasis," but if that's a Tele it gets my vote.

9. Phelonious Ponk

Phelonious Ponk Tele-Afflicted

10. Flewis

Flewis Tele-Holic

I like all of the above, but what about Notcho Blues by danny gatton ? or wayfaring pilgrim by roy buchanan, or sweet dreams by roy buchanan, john jorgensons solo to maybe it was memphis (pam tillis) is cool, jeff beck, train kept a rollin.......

11. DMace

DMace Friend of Leo's

There are thousands, but Springsteen's 'Adam Raised a Cane' led me to the Tele- Still raises (no pun intended) the hair on the back of your neck.

12. AlexEP

AlexEP Tele-Meister

13. igorBG

igorBG Tele-Holic

Ok. So I started reading this thread, then someone posted Waylon Jennings concert clip, I liked it, then I clicked Youtube suggestion on sidebar, and ended up listening Waylon's music whole morning.
    Guys it's not nice to trick Eastern Europeans into country music, when we should watch New Year's ski jumping tour instead.
    Happy holidays!

14. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

Albert Lee's solo on 'Country Boy' from Heads, Hands and Feet's first record.
    Brad Paisley's 'Les Is More', a nice, understated and toneful romp from 'Play'.
    More when I can think of them...

15. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

16. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

So much great stuff already mentioned. I couldn't begin to nominate a definitive top five, but for me Albert Lee and Vince Gill among others are bound to be in there somewhere.

However, check this out from a new Finnish TDPRI member:

Edit: I must mention Albert Lee's soloing on "Now And Then It's Gonna Rain" from the "Hiding" album. Dark, brooding and very evocative, not typical Country Tele but one of my personal favourites of all time.

17. tcarp

tcarp Tele-Holic

The short, sweet and tasty 15 second solo in Black Coffee In Bed by Glen Tilbrook of Squeeze ranks as one of my favorite guitar solos of all time.

18. cleanman

cleanman Tele-Holic

While i'm not so much into country music that brent mason vince gill track is pretty hot. I always loved and used to play Hey Joe that Roy Buchanan version is very tasty. This is one of the reasons I like it here, as much music as I have heard in my life there is so much more left to hear. I never much cared about the guitar a guy was playing as I did what he played so I don't have a top five tele solo list. Always loved Prince's stuff and Zeps and the Boss and Muddy and ...........

19. Brotherdarling

Brotherdarling TDPRI Member

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned any mike Campbell solo's with TP and the heartbreakers. I love the short sweetness of the solos on "Mystery Man" and "anything that's rock and roll is fine!

20. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

You know, I've never understood why that solo was so popular.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.