Top 5 Classic Fender Amps...not mine, but take a look!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by rjtwangs, Jul 21, 2019.

1. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Greggorios likes this.
  2. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

And they all happen to be ones that Sam Ash sells...

3. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Those are the ones that they are having trouble selling, that's why the blackface DR and PR are not on the list when they are arguably more popular.

4. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

cyclopean and rjtwangs like this.
  5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Those are unexpected and ridiculous. Those are just amps they’re trying to sell. The current ‘59 Bassman RI is good, but it’s neither a ‘59 Bassman nor a classic. The list is just suggestions about what to buy from Sam Ash.

6. fretWalkr

fretWalkr TDPRI Member

No tweet champ or BF super reverb but there's a Hot Rod Deluxe? HRD is a nice amp but not classic, more like inspired by vintage. More like a Sam Ash best sellers list.

bftfender likes this.
  7. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Well, they got 1/5 right!!!

8. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Not sure why, but for me any Fender amp built after 1975 is generally not shared in the same sentence as the word classic.

Questionable marketing crap is all this really is.

9. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Reissues?
    Nah.

10. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

Its funny.... musicians friend can generate a similar list. You type in "fender tube" then sort by best sellers....

Its actually a more logical list, because #2 is the '65 PRRI blackface with the 12" speaker and awesome colors.

Because when an actual silverface princeton reverb is less than a reissue, who would buy a reissue of a SF? people who want cool colors, of course :)

11. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

Special Offers?

12. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

while that's maybe not a list of classics, those all seem like sensible options for a lot of smaller to mid size gigs and they're mostly not too expensive.

Straydogger and horseman308 like this.
  13. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

You'd hardly expect them to highlight old amps or ones they don't sell.

As an empirical cost-no-object list it's obviously a joke. But you would not expect Ford to direct you to a 67 Fastback Mustang or Chev to a 67 Camaro either.

Taken for what it is, a new amp buyers list, it's not dreadful.

I'm no HRD fan but you can't argue with sales success.

14. GoldDeluxe5E3

GoldDeluxe5E3 Tele-Afflicted

"It's a business lie."

15. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

Now, now, don't be a snob! My '76 SFTR and '77 SF Pro Reverb are definitely classic Fender amps that will hold their own with anything. It's anything after 1980 that don't count.;)

keithb7 likes this.
  16. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I think the Custom Shop still makes killer maps. Those cheap knockoffs of SF/BF models are awful.

17. OldPup

OldPup TDPRI Member

I'm not finding the deals on vintage gear people on TDPRI talk about. Where can I find a vintage silverface PR for less than cost of new? I also saw someone on here saying they could find a handwired DR in their area for $650. I don't know if I'm scrolling through 20 year old posts or if I'm just looking in the wrong places for a deal. Lil' help?

horseman308 likes this.
  18. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

No joke. A few people here make it sound like every third person in your neighborhood has an old tweed something-or-other languishing in an attic or barn, and all you have to do is ask that sweet old lady first her late husband's old "guitar speaker." I'm clearly living in the wrong part of the country.

I wouldn't buy any of the amps on that list right now ('cause I got what I want), but if I were starting out gigging for the first time, it rebuilding a rig after a long hiatus, there are a couple there that would be fine starting places. They're not true classics per se, but they're serviceable tube amps with decent longevity and not insanely expensive.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

RadioFM74 and OldPup like this.
  19. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

It took a long time, but eventually I found a 79DR on CL locally. It would only hum loudly when turned on. I offered the guy 700, and he readily accepted. Factor in the new speaker and service, I’ve got about 1100 in it. So not really a huge bargain.

20. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Having owned vintage examples of all of those amps except that HRD, which I will never own, I find that assessment ridiculous...and as noted this is probably just a marketing ploy. The 5F6A Bassman has to be in any honest listing of five classic Fender amps as does the Twin Reverb. Imho, the Twin Reverb listing takes care of ALL AB763 based reverb amps. The 5E3 Deluxe must be included imho simply because of all of the music recorded with one...Neil Young and Larry Carlton assured us of that, imho, and Junior Barnard’s early recordings with Bob Wills using an earlier Deluxe is the stuff of legend....cnsider3d to be the first rock and roll electric guitar sounds ever recorded. That is CLASSIC!
    It gets tougher for the other two??? how about a 6G14 Showman with the 6G15 Reverb unit?? Without Dick Dale’s influence and Leo’s response, where would Fender amps be...and pop music?
    I will now commit virtual heresy. For me, there are two more modern Fenders that imho broke a mold and stand up to certain criteria as great Fenders. They went where other Fenders had not gone...and still perform. One of them was the impetus for the Blues/Hot Rod amp’s....but is so far superior that to consider the Blues/Hot Rods as classics is laughable, imho. That amp is the Pro Sonic.
    The other amp is the Rivera-era Super Champ. I will take either of those amps over anything Fender has built since 2002 when the Pro Sonic was last built. The Rivera era amps are special...just for the fact that they are switching reverb amps and are handwired. That is a rarity. The Pro ?Sonic is built better than any other Fender amps since th ehandwired era ended with the Rivera era amps in 1986. Both of these amps have greater versatility and build quality than any regular production Fender amps built since. They would not be ‘affordable’ to the average customer today if they were built to the same quality point as they were originally built. They would cost more than any of the Reissues. These two amps can dial in the Sonics of a wide variety of Fender amps.....almost any other Fender amp. They are or will be Fender classics.imho, they are undervalued in the marketplace. I do know one thing.....after hearing them properly displayed, people want to buy one. I have never had so many people want to buy any amp as want to buy a Super Champ or a Pro Sonic AFTER hearing what a healthy one will do.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    LuthRavin, horseman308 and rjtwangs like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.