Top 10 Food Flavor Sensations In Your Life

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TeleTucson, May 18, 2020.

1. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Hog Maw
    Smokehouse Apple pie
    Smokehouse Applesauce
    Sourwood Honey
    Butterscotch pie
    Lemon Meringue pie
    Bacon
    Since so many other things have already been covered .

TeleTucson likes this.
  2. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Are You a Rider? I know Jockeys who battle their weight constantly, it’s a tough living between mounts.

3. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Meister

I recently rediscovered PBJ, during the pandemic. Forgotten classic IMO.

stratoman1 likes this.
  4. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

1. A nice plate of our national food,bean soup, according to my version of course (I am a mean cook).

2. A huge ball of ramen from any stand in Fukuoka Japan

3. A ,huge again, plater of sushi in Tsukiji market in Tokyo

4. A Turkish breakfast in Van Kahvalti Evi in Istanbul

5. A yogurt kebab with hot tomato/chilli sauce at Gnision in Kesariani

6. A pho ga soup at Monsier Vong in Berlin

7. Best kaimak ice cream in the world at Eklektoula in Pagrati Athens

8. ANY meal at Axiotisa in Naxos island

9. Pizza at my favourite place in Naples (no I am not disclosing the location cause it's still unharmed by tourism)

10. Freshly grilled octopus right of the fishing boat in Mani peninsula Greece.

5. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I got them here, from Kalustyan's in NY. Iranian pistachios are bigger and may actually be better, but the Turkish are a memory from childhood.

https://foodsofnations.com/product/pistachio-roasted-salted-turkish/

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    Brett Valentine likes this.
  6. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

HOME MADE COTTAGE CHEESE? Do tell.

7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Any flavor other than 2 month old disposable mask...

8. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

There are some foods that are always made best by Grandma

9. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Can you expand on a Turkish Breakfast? Would love to know more.

10. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Fresh croissants w sea salt butter, black coffee and fresh-squeezed tangerine juice. Or my wife’s homemade biscuits, yeah, ok, the biscuits, maybe with green chili gravy, one egg over easy and some sausage.

The grill has been fired up. Maybe it’s late June, just after the solstice. The brother-in-law, the one who knows his way around the kitchen, is the grill master. Doesn’t really matter what he’s picked, it could be bratwurst and wild asparagus, shrimp or lamb chops and artichoke hearts, it’s gonna be good. Some homemade guacamole and homemade tortilla chips, salsa fresca and cold beer. Watermelon. Fire flies. A pisco sour? Sure, Jon, fix me up.

Duck & andouille gumbo in Bayou Lacombe. Early December, cold for Louisiana.

Rhubarb pie made by brother & his wife in Helena, MT; rhubarb grows in the back yard, with my wife’s homemade vanilla ice cream topped with fresh peaches and strawberries.

Those first blue corn cheese enchiladas in a little joint off the old plaza in Taos.

That one time on the way back from seeing my nephew’s relatives in Monteux, near Carpentras, before the Mrs became the Mrs, a little over 12 years ago, we were driving back to Paris and stopped late in some small town, can’t remember the name. We found a small restaurant in town, no big deal, but everything, everything, everything was prefect. I don’t even remember what we ate, but it was prefect. The wine, too. Probably had some armagnac for dessert, we got a thing about armagnac.

1/2 & 1/2 Soft shell crab & fried oyster po’boy at one of those lakefront joints near UNO, w/cold beer

Fresh baked bread, right out the oven.

Oysters Bienville, turtle soup with brandy, chayote stuffed with crawfish; then some bread pudding and chicory with some more brandy, at Bon Ton.

First chile relleno, dumpy little place in my hometown. 1969. Later, someone told me their recipe was “LA style”. Really? I’ve never been able to actually confirm that theory.

Haven’t even started on Italian or Thai or Vietnamese or Chinese or Japanese or Indian, but those are entire encyclopedias and truthfully, I don’t know enough about any of them. I've enjoyed plenty, but there's a lot to learn.

ndcaster and TeleTucson like this.
  11. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

: A plate of spaghetti and really good marinara sauce.

: Curried shrimp and vegetables over rice.

: Stuffed bell peppers with burger and seasoned rice.

: Lentil soup.

: A big, broiled, thick burger with tomato, lettuce and onion on a toasted kaiser roll.

: Baked potato topped with low-fat cottage cheese and steamed broccoli (try it!).

: Crock pot chicken BBQ with good, spicy, hot BBQ sauce.

: Ham pot pie with onions, potatoes, carrots and parsley.

: Steamed, whole, Chesapeake crabs, with corn on the cob, coleslaw and a bucket of beers.

: Western omelette with plenty of hot sauce (on the side).

TeleTucson likes this.
  12. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

There was this roast pork po boy in Baton Rouge, roast pork on a baguette with mayo, shredded raw cabbage, and pork gravy.

Or the prosciutto/tomato/basil/fresh mozzerella hero at Manganaro's Hero Boy on 9th Ave in Manhattan.

I have a weakness for anything that combines cilantro, lime juice and chiles, which opens up whole worlds of Mexican, Indian and Thai foods, or even a simple bowl of pho.

A margherita pie from Lombardi's, back from before they became a tourist trap.

CajunJ and TeleTucson like this.
  13. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Sure,go to 3.00

And this is the actual place

Buzzgrowl likes this.
  14. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Meister

Well, not quite...

Growing up, there was a creamery outside of Elgin, IL that had a restaurant known as the "Milk Pail".

[​IMG]

They made a full-fat, large-curd cottege cheese that was incredible.

Your reply got me thinking and you can make cottage cheese at home. Might need to try it if this business goes on much longer...

TeleTucson likes this.
  15. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Fresh sour dough bread, dipped in a bowl full of: very finely-minced fresh garlic, extra-virgin olive oil, and a bit of salt & pepper.

16. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Growing up in San Francisco, in the late fifties, early sixties, there was a restaurant called Blums, on Union Square. (Very long gone by now, I'm sure.) My parents took us there, often, for lunch.

They served a fresh Dungeness crab-meat sandwich - with big hunks of Dungeness crab leg meat - (fresh crab came into Fisherman's Wharf in SF, every day), with Best Foods mayonnaise, on fresh sour dough bread that was simply amazing! And on the side, their real ice-cream milk shakes, topped with real, hand-whipped whipped cream. Oh, the flavors.

Even today, I can still taste, in my memory, what that tasted like to me as a youngster.

Foods were a lot more genuine and closer to the source in the fifties and sixties than most of it is today.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  17. yojimbo

yojimbo Tele-Meister

bowl of beef pho
    otoro tuna
    red oak or pecan grilled ribeye
    ham and brie on baguette

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    TeleTucson likes this.
  18. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Blum's on Geary/Union Square closed down in the 1970's, but you can still get the recipe for their famous Coffee Crunch Cake.

telleutelleme likes this.
  19. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

1. Drinking cool water from a natural mountain spring (just a crack in a rock) on Bistra mountain, somewhere middle-of-nowhere in North Macedonia.

2. Eating local olives and bread just out of the furnace in a small village at the top of the Greek island of Milos.

3. Grilled hamour fish at Turkish House in Muscat. Just salt and olive oil on the side.

4. The pain au chocolat at Au Doux Péché in Carouge.

5. Homemade ajvar with sheep and/or goat feta cheese. And kajmak, preferably from Sumadija. And chvarci (greubons, grattons, ciccioli, scratchings...), but it has to be a good non-commercial breed, spotted, hairy or mangalica.

6. Ice cream in Italy. Even the best packaged ice creams are 3rd rate at best compared to the fancy Italian shop ice creams.

7. Mughal food at the Khyber, Mumbai

8. Mum's fried blowfish that me and my dad caught off Fire Island in the late 60s.

9. Cevapcici at Destan.

10. Spit roast lamb for the Easter festivity, somewhere in the mountains middle-of-nowhere in North Macedonia, in 1986 near Kicevo.

11. (Because I go to 11 :)) Hot burek at 5 am from the back door of the bakery, as the shop has not properly opened yet. Cold ajran on the side.

20. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

1. Kobe Beef at Suihiros in Tokoyo 1966 - Orders of magnitude above the following
    2. Jim's Fried Chicken in New Orleans
    3. De Fa Chang Restaurant in Xian China - Dumplings
    4. BBQ Beef Brisket
    5. Mint Chocolate Ice cream
    6. Salt Water Taffy from the Amusement park at Golden Gate Park - long gone
    7. Abalone at Alioto's on the Fisherman's Wharf in S.F. and The Roof Top in Cebu City P.I.
    8. Red rope licorice bought by the foot at Pop's Candy store
    9. Original bottled Dr. Pepper, almost close to freezing.
    10. Peanuts at Candlestick Park watching the Giants

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.