Tools for building an amp?

Will_Darden

TDPRI Member
I just find it simplifies soldering. Allows you to not use too much heat on pots etc. I've used it for 40 years.
It also will help if you are trying to desolder old things like the Organ amp you mention. Some of those old Hammond amps just wont even melt with a 40 watt iron! One tiny hint of flux and ouila! it flows.

If those old organ cabs you're talking about are Hammond. It's very cool "ply" they used. It's a hardwood core of maybe 5/8" solid wood and a veneer on each side of maybe 1/16" making 3/4" total. Not plywood, and solid as heck!

I have three empty cabs and some amps out there right now.
Better take a drive up sometime, I'll give em to ya.
One is Hammond, one is Magnavox. The Mag actually had a cool induction speaker output to use the entire cab as a sub. Wondering if there's a way to build my own tone wood amp out of that.

That sounds a lot like this cabinet scrap I have. Probably similar quality and will produce beautiful cabinets. PM me some details and I'm happy to come take those scraps off your hands!

SerpentRuss

Tele-Meister
Thank you for your detailed explanation. That was really helpful!

I can see where generating a static tone would be really good. I can also see where pushing that out of speakers could get really irritating really fast -- which explains the need for a resistance load.
I have two words for you...Ear Plugs - and make sure the wife isn't home.

Actually the tones below 2K Hz are not that bad. Remember, you only need to see relative changes between stages to know that everything is working; you don't have to always be cranking the amp.

I'm 59, but I have 80 year old ears. A decade and a half of gigging and 30+ years working in an industrial environment. I don't hear 10K (much) and from a guitar point of view, I don't think it adds a whole lot to the tone. Stray noise up there will rob you of power, however.