Tool Help

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Beerfish, Feb 9, 2009.

1. dugg

dugg TDPRI Member

Grizzly rules. I tried a 14" laguna at my local weekend warrior woodhouse and it was not better than my GrizzG555 'ultimate 14", though it's much more expensive. But, getting a bandsaw just to cut out solid bodies is not really necessary, you could just as easily use a jigsaw or router. That being said, the bandsaw is by far the most versatile and creative saw you can own and indespensible for resawing. I own a nice router, but haven't used it for a guitar, ever. Maybe it was all those years of cabinet making, I'm just sick of hearing it. Now, I use hand planes and chisels. For an old woodworker like me, being able to use nice hand tools is a plus, not a setback.

2. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You could do it with a jigsaw ............ but not "just as easily". Cutting 1 3/4 in. wood with a jigsaw is not an easy task.

3. twangcaster1

twangcaster1 Friend of Leo's

About medium size bandsaw.

4. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

I just want to testify - how true this statement is!! I finished cutting out the Mini-Strat-Tele neck rough from kiln dried 1.75" poplar, and it was all my poor little anemic B&D jigsaw could do. It took nearly an hour to make all of the cuts, and man is the bottom side out of whack. Look later for a photo of the roughed out neck. I'd love to find a great deal on a 12" bandsaw. I've got guitar-build-itus, baaaaaaddddd.

5. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Let me also say not all jigsaws are created equal. You don't want to purchase a 29.99$ walmart special for cutting 1 3/4" hardwood. Those little guys are essentially made to cut thin paneling and thinner particle boards. You want to invest in a nice big Bosch, Milwaukee, or something or similiar quality and strenous size. Same as with a bandsaw, the little one just isn't made for such work. Eventhough, the bigger nicer jigsaws will cost a lot more than the little bandsaws, you will get more in return on quality, longevity, and portability.

I saw a nice 12" bandsaw at sears today. It had a bigger table and more throat depth than my 14".

6. Tom S

Tom S Friend of Leo's

All my large tools, the bandsaw, jointer, and table saw are Jet. I seem to recall that when I bought them, they where priced very similarly to the competing Delta stuff, in some cases a little cheaper. I thought the Jet equipment was slightly superior. Have the Jet prices gone up a lot? When I bought the bandsaw and jointer, for instance, it was when Jet first introduced the white cabinets. Mine where some kind of special editions at the time, and I think I paid about $525 each for them. This was maybe 12 years ago or so.

7. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jets least expensive 14" bandsaw is about 600$ and there 6 1/8" jointer is about 750$. In comparrison, I only gave 150$ for my Central machinery 14" bandsaw. At the time, we did not have a home depot, but Craftsman and Delta were around 350$. One of these days when I build a proper wood working shop, I am going to upgrade my equipment to Jet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.