1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tool for truss rod adjustment?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by srblue5, Jan 20, 2021.

1. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this thread, but here goes.

I have a great tech but I'd like to learn how to do minor adjustments on my own (especially if we keep going in and out of lockdown). Some of my electric guitars have truss rod adjustment at the headstock while others have it at the base of the neck. Any recommendations as to what tool(s) I should use to adjust a truss rod?

I probably will start with my most recent purchase, a Squier CV Mustang, whose string height is just a touch too high for me. The truss rod adjustment is at the headstock.

Boreas likes this.
  2. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Well, it depends...

https://www.squier-talk.com/threads/chinese-truss-rod-size-vs-indonesian.57276/

Likely somewhere between 4 and 5mm. Some say a 3/16" "works".

I have also seen this quote:

"Indonesian and some Chinese use 4mm truss rod adjusters. Some Chinese and all Korean use 5mm truss rod adjusters"

I guess you are on your own. I would advise getting a METRIC set of Allen wrenches (long handle) for about $10. An individual wrench will likely be $5-8. You will probably need them for saddle adjustments as well. Did you get any with the guitar?

Just make sure the wrench fits well. If it fits loosely, you will likely ruin the nut, not the wrench!

Suggestions:

1. Always loosen string tension to adjust. This lessens the likelihood of stripping threads and nuts.

2. Always begin by LOOSENING (counter-clockwise) the nut slightly, paying attention to the position of handle of the wrench. The nut is often "frozen" and it will be easier to unfreeze by loosening. Then return handle to starting point and adjust carefully from there.

3. If there appears to be corrosion and the nut requires allotta force, you may want to take it to a tech to mess it up.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  3. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Truss rods are just a standard allen wrench head in various sizes. Each brand seems to be a slightly different size.

Fretting out likes this.
  4. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

When you say the strings are too high are you looking at neck relief? You need to check that prior to adjusting anything. Most people like a very slight amount of neck relief but some like the neck perfectly flat. On certain Telecasters there is a body route (for base adjustment) to insert the wrench but you have to take off the pickguard to access. It could be straight slots or a hex style, I have both.

5. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

True for Fender headstock adjust- but could be metric 4mm or 5mm or standard sizes. ... heel adjust is slot or screw usually. Gibson has a tool as it's more like a socket, rickenbacker too.

So there isn't hard and fast rules- just options per instrument and brand.

corliss1 likes this.
  6. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I can only recommend what's worked for me, but this guy's setups are great for Teles and Jags, I assume other models. No affiliation:

https://hazeguitars.com/sketchysetups

7. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Truss rod adjustments are not intended to adjust string height. Making changes at the bridge and/or the nut are the proper places for string height adjustments. However, you do need to have neck relief adjusted properly before you start messing with bridge and nut adjustments.

Paul G. likes this.
  8. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Fretting out likes this.
  9. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

The best one for vintage style is this one available at stew Mac

290ACD49-E7EA-4DF6-98CA-FD10D53E6FBB.jpeg

Oops I didn’t read

You just need some Allen keys probably metric

10. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

As stated, never adjust your action with the truss rod...it's a totally independent procedure.
    First, check if your TR needs adjustment and proceed.
    THEN start thinking about action.

Paul G. and erratick like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.