Took The Paint Off My 1998 MIM Squier Tele

Bellacaster

Tele-Afflicted
That looks great! My first electric was a 1998 MIM black Squier tele. I modified it to death. I would have treated it with more respect had I known at the time how decent of a guitar it was, but I learned a lot about guitars in general on the journey.

ScottJPatrick

Friend of Leo's
I used a wood chisel laid flat to remove the finish and whatever brown gunk filler they used on the body on mine, not as pristine as yours but mine was always a beater anyway. Yours looks great, really nice job.

upload_2021-8-23_15-41-39.jpeg

upload_2021-8-23_15-42-42.jpeg

Mitch T

TDPRI Member
Looks perfectly fine!

I had a crazy good sounding CIJ Jazzmaster that turned out to be a three piece body plus veneers on front and back as well. With the rounded edges of the JM that wasn't good looking enough to turn it into a clear finish though

Jipes

Tele-Meister
Beautiful result, I suppose those were poly layers right ? My friend who refinish my Thinline Custom had an awful time stripping out all the layers as well

EsquireOK

Poster Extraordinaire
Nice look. I always liked those bazillion-piece bodies with the thin caps. Made for some good looking tops without much expense.

My only suggestion would be to go with the early G&L ASAT look. Make all the hardware, and the pickguard, black. A wrinkle finished metal pickguard and control plate...yummy.

rnztqksu4xydx8mdfktc.jpg

Last edited:

DennisM

Tele-Meister
Beautiful result, I suppose those were poly layers right ? My friend who refinish my Thinline Custom had an awful time stripping out all the layers as well

Yes. All poly. It was worth it...I guess, but I won't do it again.

TimT

TDPRI Member
Looks awesome but if you do it again try using a heat gun and a scraper. It'll strip the poly finish off in no time.

Maguchi

Tele-Afflicted
I'm happy with the results but what a PITA! I am convinced that this 98 MIM Squier is a Mexican Standard with a factory Squier decal. It started as black. THICK black. Then I had to go through Lake Placid Blue, then I had to go through candy apple red, and the black primer under the red, plus all the gloss coats between all of them. I stopped at the sanding sealer and polished it out with No 7 rubbing compound. I lost count of the hours of sanding. It took around 2 months to complete.

View attachment 891645 View attachment 891646 View attachment 891647
Great job, looks good! Any idea what type of wood it is? Doesn't look like alder, possibly ash, but might be another wood type.

Last edited:

DennisM

Tele-Meister
Great job, looka good! Any idea what type of wood it is? Doesn't look like alder, possibly ash, but might be another wood type.

Thank you. The top and back are thin wood laminates over a multi piece ash or alder body. Not sure what they are. I'm guessing maple or ash.

oregomike

Tele-Holic
I used a wood chisel laid flat to remove the finish and whatever brown gunk filler they used on the body on mine, not as pristine as yours but mine was always a beater anyway. Yours looks great, really nice job.

View attachment 891720
View attachment 891721
Oh, man. That’s a lot of work. I used a heat gun and it bubbled up and pretty much dropped right off, except for some really minor pieces. Looks good though.

Chipss36

Tele-Holic
I recently removed almost a full pound of poly off a USA SRV, strat body.

I used a heat gun, took about an hour or so…the heat gun is the way to strip poly…also piles of black goop from the control cavity’s.

I have shot the body in blond nitro.
But need to wait for winter and less humidity to shoot the clear.

Bet the ops guitar lost a bit of weight as well.

Attachments

• 7F7A920F-7089-440F-B017-8898F2168DA6.jpeg
    7F7A920F-7089-440F-B017-8898F2168DA6.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 24