Took The Paint Off My 1998 MIM Squier Tele

DennisM

Tele-Meister
I'm happy with the results but what a PITA! I am convinced that this 98 MIM Squier is a Mexican Standard with a factory Squier decal. It started as black. THICK black. Then I had to go through Lake Placid Blue, then I had to go through candy apple red, and the black primer under the red, plus all the gloss coats between all of them. I stopped at the sanding sealer and polished it out with No 7 rubbing compound. I lost count of the hours of sanding. It took around 2 months to complete.

005.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG

Last edited:

dlew919

Doctor of Teleocity
In ten years on normans rare guitars guitar of the day lemmo will say ‘it probably had a poly coating but it’s now a player’s grade. When you want a real vintage squier but can’t afford premium …’

mkdaws32

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
It could very likely be exactly the same body as a MIM Fender Standard. Ive read that 1990’s Fender “Squier Series” MIM guitars were built using overstock Fender bodies and necks with cheaper import hardware and electronics. A few upgrades and you had a fantastic instrument for the price. I’ve played some and they are indeed excellent.

DennisM

Tele-Meister
It could very likely be exactly the same body as a MIM Fender Standard. Ive read that 1990’s Fender “Squier Series” MIM guitars were built using overstock Fender bodies and necks with cheaper import hardware and electronics. A few upgrades and you had a fantastic instrument for the price. I’ve played some and they are indeed excellent.

The neck looks and feels identical to the MIM Standards I've played. Same profile....9.5 radius. I have done all the hardware/electronics upgrades and it plays and sounds wonderful.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
Maple neck AND three-ply pickguard?! I thought those were mutually exclusive as stock? Then again, a pickguard swap is like the easiest Tele -mod available so that might have happened. Plus for D'Addario strings. My usual go-to brand. :)

DennisM

Tele-Meister
Maple neck AND three-ply pickguard?! I thought those were mutually exclusive as stock? Then again, a pickguard swap is like the easiest Tele -mod available so that might have happened. Plus for D'Addario strings. My usual go-to brand. :)

The pickguard is stock. Yeah, one piece maple neck that looks and feels identical to a MIM standard. This is how it looked stock:

tele2 002.JPG

Last edited:

hemmings

Tele-Meister
So this is a veneer on the front and back that covers several pieces of wood in construction like a lot of Mexican bodies?
Either way it looks good. It would be easy to paint yourself if you ever decide to now as well.

DennisM

Tele-Meister
So this is a veneer on the front and back that covers several pieces of wood in construction like a lot of Mexican bodies?
Either way it looks good. It would be easy to paint yourself if you ever decide to now as well.

Exactly! I did the top first and kept waiting to find a seam. I thought I had a 1 piece body (haha), but you're spot on. Veneer on the top and bottom over a multi piece body.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
The pickguard is stock. Yeah, one piece maple neck that looks and feels identical to a MIM standard. This is how it looked stock:

View attachment 891708

Color me surprised, then. From what I've seen, maple fb is usually found on 50's specced Tele's and those usually have 1-ply pg:s, whereas the 60's specced ones have 3-ply, but they on the other hand do the rosewood -thing for fb. Also, good choice on changing color on that thing! As it was, it looked very stylish, very formal and about as Rock'n'Roll as a tax review. YMMV but I find the black and white Tele:s to be frightfully boring to look at. Same for Strats! If not repainted you would have had to go all Joe Strummer on it to get it non-boring. Now it looks warm and ready to twang. :)