took off all the finish in the back of the neck

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by nosuch, Jun 30, 2009.

1. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

I sanded the back of the neck of my MIM esquire. just wanted to take off some of the shiny an slick poly but went all through to the wood very fast. so I took it all off.
    do I need to seal it with oil or something so the wood is a bit protected?
    what would I use?
    I read an interview with bill nash in which he states that taking off the finish from the fretboard (or fret-side of the one piece neck) would give a better sound so I am thinking about going all the way and take off the finish between the frets also. how would I do that without ruining the frets?

2. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

It must allow more mojo to be released to the air. :rolleyes:

I remove the finish on the back of my necks and use danish oil to seal it, then buff it to a slippery, glass-smooth finish. Doing the front just seems silly.

3. olaftheholy

olaftheholy Tele-Afflicted

use chemical stripping agent on the front.
    Oil afterward, gunstock oil/tung oil/ danish oil/ linseed oil

4. Thorpey

Thorpey Tele-Holic

yeah i agree with both of these guys with regard to finishing the neck after sanding... with linseed oil imo... however with regards to the fret side of the neck... dont sand it down!!! If you MUST do it... you a chemical stripping agent as mentioned!!! :eek:

5. iansmitchell

iansmitchell Tele-Afflicted

EVH used unfinished maple necks since the start, still does.
    The only problem is they look dirty as hell, but they break in more comfy and natural than a 20 year old pair of jeans.

6. discogravy

discogravy TDPRI Member

I'm thinking of doing this to the neck of a squier tele i've got -- what chemical stripping agent would be good for this? (or what should I be looking for in one)

7. iansmitchell

iansmitchell Tele-Afflicted

Yep.
    It's called:
    800 grit sandpaper.

8. discogravy

discogravy TDPRI Member

I'm looking to strip the front, which is why I asked about a chemical stripping agent. Sandpaper isn't that...

9. dobrodoc

dobrodoc Tele-Holic

I removed the finish from the neck of my 1955 Martin D-28 with an Old-Timer pocketknife and a quart of George Dickel.

10. steve s

steve s Tele-Meister

:eek: :eek::D

11. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

Watch out you don't remove the fret markers too - you may find that a chemical stripper will remove them.

I'd highly suggest you stop where you are at now and seal the back of the neck with something...

12. sohel001

sohel001 TDPRI Member

How do I remove the finish off my 52 RI's neck. ... is straight nitro) Just put tape on the pickups to catch all the steel finings. ... Steel wool took the nitro right off with no problems (unlike poly where I had to I figured I'd tape off the headstock and heel, so to keep a nice finish there, ..... Personally, I would just use that - it may take a while to get all the finish off, ..... Then he would heat up the back of the neck with a blow dryer on high, ... Perfect color match. took about an hour start to finish and MAN.removing neck finish Builders and Repair. ... That's all I want to do with it........ Oh, by the way, to bring back some of the luster, .... to be glue or maybe the finish i took off. goes pretty deep, too deep to sand off completely.I think the back of my neck uses a poly finish. Are there any finish checks/cracks ... but of course I'd still prefer a neck that feel smooth all around. ... on the back part of the neck on my Gibson Advanced Jumbo to take the gloss off .Over all, we are mighty happy with the results, though it took quite a few tries to get it right… ... To that end, we quickly bolted the neck back onto the body, and strung the ... to the tops of the frets to chisel off the excess finish. ... how hard was it to take all the gloss off the neck I build all of Rickenbacker's acoustic instruments in my own shops ... if the finish was just taken off or if the shape of the neck has been

13. csparks75

csparks75 TDPRI Member

Use a razor blade to carefully scrape the fretboard side, then I might follow that up with the 800 or 1000 grit, haven't decided yet. I've done that to my Gibsons and it makes a world of difference.

I have a problem with my Classic Vibe in that it has a TON of poly on the neck, which makes it harder for me to play it. So, I'm going to take some 800 grit to it and rough it up a bit.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.