1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Took my pickguard off...

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by tonedreamer, Apr 14, 2017.

1. tonedreamer

tonedreamer Tele-Holic

I bought some copper tape to shield the pickup cavities of my Tele. Took the pickguard off and noticed 2 things right away, there's a crack in the wood below the neck, and also the cavity is painted. My question is will that crack cause problems later? Been playing this guitar for about 4 years now with no problems. Also, is that paint possibly shielding paint? If it is, would it help/hurt to line it with copper tape anyway? Thanks guys 1492185627266.jpg 1492185634981.jpg 1492185643385.jpg

2. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

yeah it's shielding paint. the crack won't be a problem, i've messed up routing on my bodies enough to completely rip out that chunk of wood between the neck and pickup cavity, and it plays just fine.

3. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't worry about either one.
    I've seen much worse neck pocket cracks.

Is that Schaller drop-D key worth the trouble/expense? Does it work well?

4. tonedreamer

tonedreamer Tele-Holic

Honestly, I don't really like it. It drops down to D flawlessly, but when you flip back to E it's always sharp. Always. I've adjusted the fine tuning screw, stretched out the string, etc., it still does it every time. Can't figure out why

Piggy Stu likes this.
  5. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

I wouldnt worry too much about it. The bolts do more than that piece of wood. The copper wont hurt nothing but i wouldnt imagine youll have a huge noise decrease either.

tonedreamer likes this.
  6. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Yes, that's shielding paint. Adding more shielding won't help any.

That crack isn't desirable, but it's an easy fix. If you like the guitar already, don't worry about it.

7. nervous

nervous Tele-Meister

I have these on all my guitars and love them. The trick to you problem is in the initial tuning. Tune your E a tad flat, flip the lever and the shape you refer to will be the correct tuned E. it takes a feel to learn how much but after the first flip and return, assuming an in tune E, it should hold the E until you touch the tuner again to retune. In that case it's just this technique repeated. Sounds way worse than it is easy once you do it a couple times.

This is detailed pretty clearly in the Hiipshot instructions as well:

http://hipshotproducts.com/files/all/gt_gb_m4_setup_and_instruction.pdf

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  8. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

It wouldn't hurt to work some thin glue into both sides of that crack. Use something like a pin to push the glue into the crack by jabbing the pin repeatedly as far as it goes into the crack.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  9. Galibier_Un

Galibier_Un Tele-Meister

It looks like shielding paint, but why not check? Resistance should be 30 or 40 ohms. Then you'll know for sure.

While you're at it you can check for continuity between the three cavities.

... Thom

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.