1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Took a lesson with Daniel Donato

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by teletail, Mar 8, 2021.

1. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

I took a lesson with Daniel Donato today. What a nice guy. Very down to earth, patient, easy to understand; just a great all around teacher.

He gave me a ton of ideas to work on, explained his approach to pentatonics, exercises to help with speed (at my request), interesting discussion of double stops.

I booked two more lessons with him, one a month. If you're looking for a teacher or a tune-up, I highly recommend him.

2. historicus146

historicus146 Tele-Afflicted

Saw him when he first started playing with Don Kelly
    "Dig a Hole in the Meadow"
    "Mental Revenge"
    and of course the fast stuff...
    Simo, Highland, Trapp, Donato, ... always Don had the great tele players..
    Are the venues on Broadway open with the COVID?

tomnardozza likes this.
  3. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

I'm not sure. Each state has it's own rules.

4. asatbender

asatbender Tele-Afflicted

Care to share any of the speed building tips? I have recently purchased some lessons and need a little more speed to play at 100%.

5. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I've considered that as well. If you don't mind me asking, what's he charge? I already have a teacher I take weekly lessons with but I've been thinking about adding on.

asatbender likes this.
  6. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

I paid $100 for an hour and it was a full hour. I know he's booking for the next three months.

asatbender likes this.
  7. mikestearns

Not bad, thanks!

8. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

Sure, I made a joke about Johnny Hiland saying he was fine with me taping his sessions, but don't post it to youtube and Daniel said, post it anywhere you want!

One exercise was to take a scale (I use a major scale with the flat 7) and play four note patterns, a, b, c, d; then b, c, d, e; c, d, e, f; etc. up and down across all the strings.

The other thing was double picking three note arpeggios, for example "c" on the d string 8th fret, "e" on the g string 7th fret; "g" on the b string 6h fret; c- up stroke, down stoke, e - up stroke, down stoke, g - up stroke, down stoke. Then "b", "d", "g" on the d, g, b strings, then a b triad, then a f triad built the same way.

When playing these, you want to practice an economy of motion, not moving back and forth or up and down any more than necessary.

I will say that I knew what my problem was going into the lesson and I've been working on it for a while. I watched the Troy Grady cracking the code videos, which packs 5 minutes of information into about 2 mind numbing hours.

He also has some really interesting exercises for opening up the fretboard with major and minor pentatonics. It will take a while to see how the speed excersizes work out but even after just three days I can tell you that I'm more comfortable on the fretboard than I ever have been before. Nothing earthshaking, just a way I haven't looked at things before.

I can tell you that you'll definitely get your money's worth!

9. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

Yes. The price is good, but the value is even better. He gave me a list of things that I can start using immediately.

mikestearns likes this.
  10. Eeeeeagle

Eeeeeagle TDPRI Member

Back in December 2019, I did an in-person lesson with him since we’re both in the Nashville area. He was super cool and gave me some good info. I enjoyed being able to see his studio as well.

teletail likes this.
  11. claptonrules

claptonrules TDPRI Member

Saw him in Nashville a couple years ago. Really nice guy and shred city. Wow he's fast. Watched two sets, both with him just rippin. Loved it, cool and everything, but was wanting him to do a few blues tunes or slower songs with some long sustains and listen to him make that tele hum. However, loved his show. Incredible player and seems like a nice guy. Hope he's doin ok in this crazy pandemic.

teletail likes this.
  12. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

he has a book out.

13. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

I talked to him about that, because I have it. It's about 7 years old. It's good, but I got more out of the lesson.

14. johnny k

good if you got what you paid for.

15. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

Yes, because it happens so rarely.

johnny k likes this.
  16. mikestearns

That's great! I actually just emailed Isaiah Mitchell of Earthless about taking a lesson, Donato will be next on my list. Thanks!

teletail likes this.
  17. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

Good luck! The only good thing about the plague is that with so many world class musicians out of work, we mere mortals can finally get lessons from them.

mikestearns likes this.
  18. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

I saw him years ago with Don Kelly and was very impressed. I ended up helping him load his gear into his car(not sure he was old enough to drive). Big smile very friendly. I wrote his name down so i would be sure to remember to watch for him...glad i did..He has some nice stuff on Reverb

19. johnny k

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.