Too Weird... (the nature of chance)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TokyoPortrait, Feb 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

This is just too weird.

I just finished saying my probable fav song is Million Miles Away on the current Rory Gallagher thread.*

As I walked away from the computer I could hear this very song playing on my music system, which is linked to an iPod set to shuffle.

This is, I think, at least the third time something like this has happened to me with TDPRI threads and music playing on shuffle. It happened just the other week and I can remember (vaguely) this happening in the past too.

I know it must just be chance and not poltergeists, sun spots or gliter covered unicorns, but I'm slightly freaked out.

Now, if I post this and find someone has started a thread about The Butterfield Blues Band I'll really freak out.

Pax/
    Dean

* https://www.tdpri.com/threads/any-r...’re-favorite-song.1008538/page-2#post-9650159

Greggorios and tah1962 like this.
  2. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

Toadtele and TokyoPortrait like this.
  3. tah1962

tah1962 Tele-Afflicted

Do you have Alexa? Amazon is spying on you. :D

radiocaster and TokyoPortrait like this.
  4. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Yup, Amazon.
    I assume all your wifi is on the same unit.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  5. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

iPod huh? You're being stalked by Tim Cook.

TokyoPortrait and tah1962 like this.
  6. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Holic

I check my phone or computer at least 2 times a day and the time comes up 12:34...it just means my life's in order :)

7. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome ... to The Matrix ...

8. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

Chunkocaster and TokyoPortrait like this.
  9. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

For decades, I've had songs in my head, only to have them come on the radio minutes later. Never figured out a way to make any money from it, sadly.

richiek65 and TokyoPortrait like this.
  10. TokyoPortrait

Hi.

This is a good point. I was talking to someone the other day and he said he was in a van driving along and discussing a certain type of alcohol, and suddenly on their phones, two people in the van started getting adds for a liquor store in the town they were driving through and also for the type of alcohol they were discussing (secondhand anecdotal evidence doesn't equal fact, but, ya know, this is the internet :D).

But, this particular iPod is old and not connected to anything other than the unit that plays the music out loud, and that is connected to nothing other than the iPod and the mains.

I figure that while it's chance, it's also not in the zillion to one camp. I have 5,212 songs on my laptop as I type (58 of which are Rory Gallagher), and something like 20,000 on my desktop. But, really, it's not that varied a bunch. And, on any portable playback device the number is probably a lot less. It's certainly a lot less on this particular iPod. So, if I'm looking on TDPRI and I click on a music vid, it's probably because it aligns with my tastes anyway. I reckon that lessens the odds on a chance alignment considerably.

Pax/
    Dean

tah1962 likes this.
  11. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

plate of shrimp.

12. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Was it playing when you typed? Perhaps your subconscious heard it?

13. TokyoPortrait

Hi.

I'd turned it down the day before, while practicing and recording a wee test. It was still faintly audible when close, which is what happened after I stood up from typing and walked over that way in the room. The song would have been on when I was typing, and I had to think about what to list as fav., so, it's possible. Maybe even probable it influenced my choice.

But, it probably wasn't on when I came across the thread and started reading, so it is still freaky it was on. Especially in the context of this not being the first time something like this has happened with reading TDPRI and something playing in the background. As I hinted at before, I totally and completely do not believe in anything 'para' anything. So, I know it is just pure chance. But still, doesn't stop the momentary spooked feeling.

Pax/
    Dean

14. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yeah, my life is the Truman Show, too.

15. Ditchgator

Ditchgator TDPRI Member

If you get the chance(ahem) look into watching the movie "What The Bleep Do You Know"
    Randomness of your world(s) and what happens when you look at something.
    When you see...it changes everything. ;):cool:

16. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

Had something similar happen last year when my folks were in town to visit. We were discussing things to get my father for his birthday. I looked at his grossly huge wallet and told him I'm getting him a new one. After we talked about it for a while, I got on Instagram and

BLAMMO!!!

All of a sudden wallet ads started appearing. Welp, that was it for me. I promptly deleted my account and removed the app from my phone.

Ads based on your browsing history is one thing, but when devices and apps start listening to you when they shouldn't be, that's when you know it's time to take them out back for a shot right through it.

The worst part of it is I told my brother about it and his response was "Yeah that's just what they do now"

Yeaaaaah NO. They can "do it" to everyone else. I'll keep my privacy for as long as I can thanks.

Ditchgator and TokyoPortrait like this.
  17. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

On the flip side: how many times have you read about a song and it didn't play on your iPod that day? Probably hundreds.

I'm not saying it's not a bit odd that happened, I'm just adding some perspective.

18. Tallthinman

Tallthinman Tele-Meister

I think it was Tim Minchin who said - To assume your one in a million thing is somehow special is because you dramatically underestimate the number of things.
    Or as Lawrence Kraus puts it - The universe is so big that incredibly rare events happen all the time.

aging_rocker and TokyoPortrait like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.