Too much to ask of an overdrive?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by davidge1, Jun 3, 2016.

1. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Some of this is going to turn into a "favorites" contest.

There was a Machine Head Pedals 72 Degrees on Reverb a couple of days ago for $75. Great low to medium drive sound with any amp I own. If I didn't already have two I would have jumped on it.

The Xotic RC or AC Boosts are adjustable enough to keep you amp's sound at low volumes and still drive it from light crunch to medium OD.

There are also some clean boosts that do a good job if you can try them out with your amp. You have to boost the volume a fair bit compared to unity gain to get the crunch, but if you have an amp that works well at 1 or 2 with the added volume when the boost starts to crunch you're good. If you can build one yourself, guitarpcb Stage 3 is an easy build and cheap as a kit. I also like the slightly older version of the Catalinbread Chili Picosa that has the smalll switch and single knob. The switch is technically for a bass, but it lets some lower guitar frequencies past sort of like the old loudness buttons on stereos.

2. jgmouton

jgmouton Tele-Meister

It's not a pedal but it would do what the OP is requiring - An amp attenuator.

3. Hollandcaster

Hollandcaster Tele-Holic

Timmy, Maxon VOP9

4. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

I use a CMATMODS Butah with my DRRI's. It's somewhat of a Bluesbreaker clone, but it's much less Marshally sounding than most, with less bottom and glassiness than a Distortion, and the tone and gain controls work well throughout their range. The gain dials up very gradually until 3 o'clock, then it goes from low-to-medium gain quickly. You can actually run the tone control above noon without the icepick attack. And it has just enough compression.

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think you just like the Bad Monkey. Some that you tried/named do why you seek in my book. So it's probably just that the Monkey hits your ear right.

6. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sounds like you like the tube screamer with extra eq controls... So I'll say Xotic BB preamp

7. Sofaplayer

Sofaplayer Tele-Meister

Effectrode TD-2A Tube Drive. Open it up, there's a small adjusment screw for bass inside, turn it all up. You'll still lose some bass and may want to dial it back in with an EQ, ideally on your amp. But you will keep your tone.

8. hwestman

hwestman Tele-Holic

A second vote for Tim/Timmy! It is exactly what you're asking for...

RetroTeleRod and AlbertaGriff like this.
  9. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I would also suggest a Timmy.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  10. Scaper2014

Scaper2014 Tele-Meister

Tone city bad horse
    Tone city sweet cream

Get from andertons in the UK

Both £39.99 each

11. Mark*123

Mark*123 TDPRI Member

+1 Timmy!
    Everybody should have a Timmy

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  12. MilwMark

Much as I think the Timmy is a cool design, I'm not sure it's forte is making a SF/BF amp on 3 sound like that amp on 6/7 - and the designer even says so. But everyone's ears and expectations are different.

One thing that's neat about this forum is a guy needs to replace his Bad Monkey and only a few suggest $250-400 replacements for a $50 pedal. Not that there's anything terribly wrong with that; I just wonder where it ends.

I agree with Torch, to some degree a thread like this always devolves into "name my favorite overdrive." Of the ones mentioned so far, I really like the BD-2 into a quiet SF/BF Fender to make it sound like would if played louder and more broken up. I've read that the BD-2 even has a BF tonestack in the path somewhere? I don't like the BD-2 with those same amps at 6/7 ironically - to bassy and trebly. But to make a quiet one sound and feel more like one that's raging, it's not bad.

I also think the DOD 250 (alert "my favorite overdrive") has an exemplary chameleonic ability to meld well with any amp, not impart its own sonic signature dramatically, unless you turn the Drive up really, really far, and improve/thicken things in the mids in a gentle and pleasing way, without sacrificing dynamics. It sounds and feels very much like an amp to me, moreso as you turn up the amp, of course. It can also be had regularly on sale for $60-80, so it's a price performer, in my book.

Good luck OP. Many have embarked on your search, to varying degrees of expense and satisfaction.

13. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

I don't use dirt boxes 99% of the time. If I want edge of breakup tones, I turn up the amp. If its too loud, I use a smaller amp. If its still too loud, I might use an attenuator. And, if its still too loud, I take out my acoustic. My last resort is a Proco Rat.

14. Alex Pearson

Alex Pearson TDPRI Member

Way Huge Overrated Special, or the newest green rhino from way huge which is the same thing.
    All controls at 12o clock with the tone rolled off to like 10o clock.
    I had the same desires, same gear. I just use the amp, guitar, and pedal.
    Amp channels jumped with the Trebles at 6 and bass at 3.

15. Mark*123

Mark*123 TDPRI Member

I think the OP said hid bad monkey died on him and considered OCD and ZVEX pedals as replacement. Timmy is not so expensive and leaves the tone of the amp pretty much in tact. Of course a bad monkey, or any other TS, is nice with a mid-scooped Fender amp because of its mid hump but i wonder if it sound like a cranked Fender amp by itself.

16. MilwMark

Understood. Not saying the Timmy is a price range surprise. But there's at least one $400+ pedal in the list.

17. Sean65

Sean65 Tele-Holic

Wampler Black 65 and Tweed 57 were designed specifically for that.

18. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

The 4 knob spark boost is a nice light duty overdrive. The eq controls along with the 3 modes give a good range of edge of dirt to light overdrive.

19. tremolo3

tremolo3 Tele-Meister

Isn't that the reason there is a pedal called Klon?

I used the OD3 to do what OP is asking.

20. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Thanks everyone for all the advice... i really appreciate it.

I went ahead and bought a used Bad Monkey off Reverb... $49 including shipping... can't beat it! (unless it breaks like the last one)

This is just for home stuff... so achieving a certain tone isn't crucial. When I practice or record, I wan't it to feel something like what the amp does up loud. I like the BM because if you turn up the bass and treble controls enough, it sounds pretty neutral... I don't hear the "mid hump"

After reading all this, though, the pedal I'm now really intrigued with is the Wampler Black '65. Sounds like it was specifically designed to do what I'm looking for. I may need one! ...but for now, the BM will suffice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.