too much technology ?

Ajs91

TDPRI Member
All of our dogs have had ID chips implanted. Most vets have a scanner. If you bring in a stray the first thing they'll do is scan it. You can use the chip to open the dog/cat door (door only opens when it recognizes the chip) and they also sell feeding dishes that only open when the chip is recognized.

First thing I thought of was the TV cartoon "Futurama" (1999-2003). Everybody gets "career chips", which assigns your life job.
You mean I can stop feeding the stray and neighbor cats finally!?

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
If I didn't know better, I'd think this stuff was custom designed, to make folks lazier, technology dependent, docile and compliant.....:rolleyes:
I'm of the last generation that had to remember phone numbers. I can remember my best friends parents phone number from my high school days, but any contacts I put in my phone these days I have a difficult time with.

Nubs

Friend of Leo's
I work in IT, so of course I'm a proponent of technology. However, there are situations in which technology just slows things down...

Do we really need a touch screen to pour our soft drinks? Or replace a pad & pen?

No we don't. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best one.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
In the meantime, I notice 6 new tickets in the system for people who can't print, and 23 password changes this morning for people who forgot their passwords.

If the robots do selective destruction, I'm not automatically opposed.

And just like that, GB took the grammar police to a level no one had ever even thought of before. :eek::D

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I work in IT, so of course I'm a proponent of technology. However, there are situations in which technology just slows things down...

Do we really need a touch screen to pour our soft drinks? Or replace a pad & pen?

No we don't. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best one.
I work in IT as well. It's interesting to see how things have changed over the last 30 years. While obviously there are plusses, I see some detrimental effects. Pretty fascinating from a social point of view.

And agreed on the soft drink machine. Overkill. I just want a Coke - in a glass bottle.

StevesBoogie

Tele-Afflicted
In late summer 2019 I was in downtown Seattle for a conference. First time there. Decided to go out exploring the old fashioned way - walking. I mapped out my route beforehand.

I got to a busy intersection, the walk sign turned red. About 20 of us at the corner.

I looked to my right, looked to my left. Every single person's nose was deep into their phone!!!!

It was TWILIGHT ZONE. It was so friggin' spooky. I thought I was being filmed in some movie set.

middy

Friend of Leo's
I work in IT as well. It's interesting to see how things have changed over the last 30 years. While obviously there are plusses, I see some detrimental effects. Pretty fascinating from a social point of view.

And agreed on the soft drink machine. Overkill. I just want a Coke - in a glass bottle.
I thought we all worked in IT.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I remember a few years back somewhere in Europe
wanted to go to credit cards and age ID for pubs just
using your ID chip in your arm.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
So much goofiness here. Don't forget most if not all of this automation and technology being complained about is all market driven stuff. We don't have a government forcing this on us. Even the 2022 model year change with more robots in all cars (AEB) came from the car makers and not some government or conspiracy as many dullards say and think.

Now that I know we all work in IT, my lunch time caffeine didn't work. Can I trade for those print queue and password resets? I'm really struggling with some far more complex stuff, and losing patience with a VP not getting that if Cisco and Microsoft say it's not an option for hundreds of millions of people, it's not an option for us.