1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Too much hair for the band...

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Bullfweet, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Bullfweet

Bullfweet Tele-Meister

Here's a guitar track I presented to an internet band I was a member of, for an original song we were working on... It was rejected because it had "too much hair" on it...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I thought this was about Buddy Whittington’s joke about his bandmate, Mouse Mays...

He’s not just a member of the Hair Club For Men, he’s also the warehouse!

3. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

I think it sounds ok, but you never know, obviously didn't match whatever vision the writer had in mind. Unless you wrote the song? The guitar sort of competes for attention with the vocal, but that's what mixing is for, right? Oh well, makes me feel better about just doing things by myself, then when people don't like it, it's too late to care!

Bullfweet likes this.
  4. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, hair band'eque for sure.

I can make you feel better by critiquing the song now if you'd like :)

I wouldn't sweat it, although it sounded like you worked up a lot of guitar for them.

GFrank, Mjark and Bullfweet like this.
  5. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Tell the singer to go up an octave. Obviously he doesn't have enough hair to pull it off.

6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Monthly "at ease" weekend!!!

MikeBee, Bullfweet and Telenator like this.
  7. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

The intro does have a hair metal vibe. The tune itself is cool, but the guitar rhythm is way too busy for the style. You have two potentially very good songs there.

8. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Greener (the acoustic version) might fly.

jchinkley and Bullfweet like this.
  9. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Holic

It does sound pretty gainy to me, in an 80s kind of way.
    I think a cleaner tone would put some air into the song and make it more contemporary sounding.

Bullfweet and gregulator450 like this.
  10. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

there is a whole lot squealing pinch harmonic tone going on. The melody is a little too "Jack and Diane" for comfort though.

Whatever... I kind of liked your guitar part. The gain didn't really sound "hairy" too me, but it does have kind of a hair metal 80's thing going on.

What did you use to get that tone guitar/amp/pedals?

Frank Roberts and Bullfweet like this.
  11. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I think it was all the squeals. Doesn't quite match up to the song vibe. Well played, all of it.
    Singer could go an octave up. You could always transpose or tune down to get him up there.

No offense to anyone in the band. Just first impressions

Bullfweet likes this.
  12. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Holic

It's melodic like a country tune. The metal treatment doesn't help and actually hurts this song. A higher key for the singer could help and clean up the guitars, the arrangement and approach. It's not a bad song.

Bullfweet and middy like this.
  13. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

It's not the hair, it's the spandex.

GFrank and Bullfweet like this.
  14. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Well, it sounds to me like the lead guitar player (you, right?) can play his ass off, and came up with a bunch of lead parts that work together. There is a certain mid-hump, bass-rolled-off 1980s lead guitar tone going on, but I like that kind of tone and don’t mean it as a rip at all. It could be translated into “too much hair” by some people, I guess.

If I were a producer here, my suggestions would be to consider this version kind of a sketch pad, trying ideas out to see what works. I would say, mute tracks for the moment and get back to acoustic guitar, drums, and the vocal. Get some more syncopation going on there between the syllables and strum pattern and the drum part. Make it cook along a little more, with less long, drawn-out easygoing-sounding syllables. It has some room to do that in different ways without becoming nervous or A metal song or something.

In keeping with the other suggestions to sing higher...man, an octave up sounds tough to me, but maybe a key change, some capo experiments, could get the vocals into a range where they had a little more bite and energy.

At that point, try adding some of those guitar ideas back in, maybe with less squeals to give the vocals a little more room.

I am wrestling with this same kind of thing on a song I’m working on now. I have a dense wall of multi-tracked guitar crunch and busy drums and am finding it really hard to come up with a hard-hitting vocal that will stand up to it. And haven’t gotten past loving how all those tracks worked out together. Dropping some of them out here and there seems logical but I’m still too precious about it to do it.

So, keep at it and don’t get discouraged. There are a lot of cool parts there to work with!

Bullfweet and tanplastic like this.
  15. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

That is really good IMO .

Bullfweet likes this.
  16. GBfun

GBfun TDPRI Member

As a songwriter I like the potential of your song ! Of course it's a demo song and not expected to be a finished version, right ? And its fun to want to slap too much effect on a song at first. But that strong effect can cover up too much of the meat and I think that's an issue here. And effects are tricky little b..sters ! They can sound great in a room and sound horrible recorded and vice versa. In my speakers the reverb wash is a big mess that is distracting me from the AWESOME...and yes...delightfully busy guitar work I WANT to hear ! The busy guitar work shouts musical EXCITEMENT and I like it a LOT in music. As sounding a little like Jack and Diane...yeah a bit ; same beat, same instruments, same pace ? A little more creativity in melody and arrangement could fix that up I think. But this is a demo song for c's sake, not a master ! My last comment is a bit more about artistic congruence and isn't a strict rule. And that is, the tempo of the song is too slow to match the "excitement style" of the guitar playing, so I suggest speeding it up to match the guitar work. And then determine if the guitar work is too "busy". But clearly, the guitar player is awesome and having fun, and if the beat and pace and lyrics and melody all match up to that, then a strong song is born ! Sometimes it doesn't always work out. I've thrown out a ton of songs myself. Its part of the learning process. I would do some more work on this song and see where it can take you, bearing in mind that you want You, your Audience, and maybe your band members to experience the Fun of it while You have Fun playing guitar. Right ? We already have a boatload of good songs that don't feature guitar players having fun, or even playing on them ! It's time we all change that....;)

Bullfweet and mexicanyella like this.
  17. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

The guitar track would be better on a heavier song.
    The song itself could do without the lead guitar but is crying out for a hook.
    Just my 2c

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    gregulator450 likes this.
  18. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

When did Zakk Wylde join The Turtles?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    MilwMark, joe_cpwe and gregulator450 like this.
  19. Bullfweet

Bullfweet Tele-Meister

Hi Larry, thank’s for the listen !! Yes, I agree, my guitar is competing with the singer, big time. This version of my guitar track was never mixed *into* the song, it was set *on top of it*. At the time we were putting the tune together we had just finished a rather mellow song, and I was told by the owner of the group to “kick it in the butt, and put some hair on it”..which I did of course, as soon as they heard it, it was like..”whew, too much hair”. The version that was published is quite tame. And it sounds much better, because I’m *in* the mix, instead of “on it”. Appreciate the listen, Larry, and your insight :)

Digital Larry likes this.
  20. Bullfweet

Bullfweet Tele-Meister

Thank’s for listening, Joe Well, I think I spent about an hour on it, so it was really no loss. In the end it was published with a much tamer guitar part on my behalf, and pushed back farther into the mix.. Thank’s for the ears, Joe Appreciated !!

joe_cpwe likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.