Too Many Amps? What's your count....

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by grolan1, Nov 11, 2015.

1. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Including two in construction, 22. Mostly tweed, then up to the mid 60's, after that Mesa, Marshall, and Matchless, and a few others.

I don't have storage issues, so I'm not too bothered by it. I honestly couldn't count them in my head so I had to look at my Excel sheet...

My only regret is starting new projects before refurb'ing some of the older ones bought for the purpose of refurb'ing. I need to give myself a good talking to, but I probably won't listen.

2. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

lessee now

Gibson GA-5 Les Paul Junior
    Gibson GA-15
    Either a Lil Dawg D-Luxe or a '76 Princeton Reverb, pending the outcome of trade talks
    Blues Junior
    AC15c1 (small gig amp)
    Ceriatone Mini 20 Lunchbox
    Bad Cat Black Cat 30 1x12 with an extra 1x12 extension cab (big gig amp)
    Drip edge Bassman (68 or 69) with gigantic coffin cab

I also theoretically own (but don't expect to see again) an AC30CC1 with my brother in Seattle, an Ultralinear Super Reverb with my brother in Brooklyn, and another Blues Junior with my son in Oakland.

3. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I honestly couldn't count them in my head so I had to look at my Excel sheet...

This statement is so awesome on so many levels.

4. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

In my gigging days I only had one amp and one guitar. Maybe two effects pedals. Wasn't no thoughtful deliberation required of what guitar/amp/effects combination for what gig.

Now you have consider the room size for what amp wattage/speakers sizes. Also what guitar to project a thick Gibson sound or bright tele tone. Which pedal board you will use---the big, middle size are small one. This requires careful deliberation days in advance to come up with the proper combination. What have we done to ourselves???:rolleyes: Platefire

5. mitchfit

mitchfit Tele-Holic

ok--- "too many"

being two words instead of just one, Mr. Webster can offer up no clarification here*.

wouldn't "too many" assume a separate group of "enough"?

perhaps even a subset of "not enough"?

this starts getting way too complicated, thusly overloading both of my remaining functional brain cells. [at the same time--no multitasker here]

if there are separate groups of ownership quantities, then a "border", or "line" needs to be defined that divides each into their own territories.

this becomes much like the equator, or international dateline. an imaginary line only to be found in representations of the real world. as such, i could sail right over the same imaginary line in my Kon-Tiki reissue scale model and never have a clue that i had done so, IN THE REAL WORLD.

as a result, i reject your reality, and will have to substitute my own in its vacancy.

because i still miss all of the amps i ever let go in the past as much as i enjoy the ones i have kept.

YMMV,
    mitchfit

* pretty rudimentary speech characteristics from a guy who's sposedta be so smart?

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

At last count I had maybe 20 tube amps, but many are "projects".
    Anybody have a definition of "project"?

One thing I find is some good amps I stopped using for a while seem fresh again when I'm playing or listening differently.
    Sometimes I even read about someone else's approach to an amp and try using it differently, or read about a speaker swap that makes an amp specific problem better, and then experiment with that.

The speaker and tube options can greatly change the character of an amp, to the point where it almost becomes a different amp altogether.

And a huge reason to have many amps is my preference for whole amp distortion over pedal or preamp distortion, where different amps have different sounds at different volumes and weights.

There is IMO nothing like a well tuned tube amp running in its best volume range, clean to distortion transition with no on/ off; pick dynamics allowing clean or dirty notes at the same volume setting, or bright and dark tones at the same settings.

The difference between a classic amp well tuned vs poorly tuned is night and day IME.

Tuned being running correctly and set up for the players preference, same as a guitar.

The wrong tubes and speakers can make your favorite amp into a total dog, just as finding the right parts combination can make an amp you don't like into a favorite- or not.

Edit: While I have trouble letting amps go, I have easily sold and traded away 50-100 amps over the years, almost all vintage tube amps.
    There are not too many I regret losing, but they are some of my all time favorites.

7. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

...all too true. I can remember plugging straight into a Kustom 100W tuck and roll; I think it was purple sparkle...but I more fondly remember the smell of dust baking on tube amps...I wish I could bottle that smell.

In no particular order:
    Fender Frontman 25R
    Fender Blues DeVille 2X12
    Ampeg Gemini II (1967) 1X15
    Fender Blues Jr. iii
    Gibson Discoverer GA-8t (1963)

I play a weekly gig and all 5 of these amps have been there from time to time. The Frontman is a handy little practice amp, and it’s not bad for clean and sweet. They all have their unique attractions.

I also own half of a ’67 Bassman head and cab combo; the cab is 2X15 and I leave this at the recording studio of my friend who owns the other half. I can use it whenever, and usually that’s for larger and/or outdoor gigs. He bought a Weber attenuator for it, so it can be dialed to full roar at any volume. I like it a lot.

I’m still pining for a Super Reverb. That will just about do it for me. Well, maybe a Tremolux. Or a Vibrolux.

8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Sunn sonaro with matching 15 cab
    Fender Rumble 100
    Fender twin
    Fender Jam with 15 cab
    Marshall JCM800 4104 combo
    Gallien / Krueger 112 with celestion
    Crown Amcron DC300A for studio effects guitar rack
    2 Beltones 1) 10 watt 2) 15 watt

I have a 4X12 Fender cab and an ISO box

this should be enough for me lots to choose from if I decide to gig again

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  9. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

'76 Twin Reverb
    DRRI
    Hot Rod Deluxe
    Blues Jr.
    Mesa Boogie MkIIb/oak cab.
    Peavey Classic VTX- only one I had for years- great gigging amp
    Peavey Bandit- teal stripe
    Greta
    Loudbox mini
    A Roland for keys and drums
    A Crate for bass

10. cactusrob

cactusrob Friend of Leo's

I have 4 and I love them all for different reasons.

11. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Excelsior Pro loaded with an EV SRO 15

A Muchxs 6x9 loaded Champ with unique features he told me he could probably never recreate

A Fender Prosonic with Weber MiniMass attenuator - I believe this is a 97, making it my birth year amp

1963 Guild branded Reverberocket that's currently getting a complete overhaul by Muchxs

Vox VT20+ with an upgraded Weber 8" speaker (one of the expensive ones, not a sig) and internal sound foam for deeper bass

A little rumble v3 25 watt amp for bass

A converted Eico signal tracer with 4" speaker and magic eye tube, driven by a 6AQ5 and a 12AX7.

A battery powered mini Pignose amp for jamming outside on occasion

12. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Good thread. I'm wrestling with this myself right now because I really only want to own around 3 amps, but it's ballooned to about 5+ because I am pretty sure I would immediately regret parting with the ones I have currently. And, by the way, these aren't high end amps, and I'm a hobbyist, not a particularly skilled player by any means. The current stable is:

Vox AC10C1 (2015)
    Fender Super Champ X2 (2013) (Jensen speaker upgrade)
    Vox Pathfinder 15 (1999)
    Marshall Lead 12 (1982)
    Fender Mustang I v.2

I'm actually not even including the Yamaha THR10 and Blackstar Fly3 because those things are so portable they could be kept on a shelf or stored away in a plastic bin.

The Mustang will get traded in just because it's a bit redundant at this point. But when I bought the AC10C1, that probably would have been the time to get a rid of the SCX2, except I couldn't do it. Having owned the AC10C1 for a few months, I love it and it offers the best objective "tone" of any of these amps, but it also has some limitations in that it is a low wattage tube amp and the same Vox character and gain structure that make it great also make it problematic with (some) pedals.

The Pathfinder 15 and Lead 12 are both TDPRI darlings (seriously, I owe my ownership of both almost exclusively to this excellent website), but on paper, they are inexpensive solid state amps that are not all that valuable or hard to find. But since neither is made anymore, and I love the sound of both of them, it just feels foolish to go trade one somewhere for $40 or $50...for what? To save some space in my closets?

So the primary driving factor here is lack of space, or, to put it another way, owning just enough amps that my wife either won't notice I have too much stuff or complain about the clutter. BUT, I will say that it makes a lot more sense to own 2 or 3 too many amps than it does to only own one. The SCX2 is the closet thing of that bunch to a "do it all" amp that can be made to handle clean tones, heavy tones, take pedals, and excel at both low and high volumes. Tube amps sound great and have tons of character, but being locked into just one of those characters seems nuts to me now. It's definitely better to have the right assortment of amps (not necessarily a large number) versus having a ton of different guitars. A bad amp will always be a limiting factor on the guitar more than the other way around.

13. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Guitar:
    Vox AC15C1
    Fender Super Champ XD
    Peavey Bandit 112
    Vox AD30VT

Bass:
    Fender Bassman 135
    Fender Rumble 40

I'm working on getting a Blackstar HT 40 Club as my next GAS purchase.

14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm gonna show this thread to my wife.

15. 24 track

When you do give her your Xmas wish list!!!

16. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    Possibly one of the reasons I am seriously considering letting a couple go... she comes into the music room and I feel guilty! ; ) Not that she doesn't buy here share of shoes/clothes, etc too! To the point I might have to start stacking them, but no more right.. no more. I must admit, I don't think I'll loose money on any of these amps, so it's kind of a savings account right?

Forgot, I have one more as it sits on a shelf to be admired for it's looks, not it's sound - Piggy (Peavey) Wiggy

17. 24 track

Dweezel Zappa would be proud of you!

18. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

Well...let's see....

'69 SF Vibrochamp (my fave recording amp, best vibrato!)
    '71 SF Princeton Reverb (main small gig amp)
    '75 SF Princeton Reverb (main rehearsal amp, stays in my rehearsal space)
    '73 SF Deluxe Reverb
    '75 SF Vibrolux Reverb
    '72 SF Super Reverb
    '65 BF Pro Reverb (main big stage amp)
    '67 SF Bassman

and breaking the theme -
    Samamp AC22 (love this amp!)
    Vox DA5 (battery powered deck/campfire jammer)

and my acoustic amp - LR Baggs PADI into a full PA.

Princetons and Baggs get the most use.

Don't feel like I have too many. I use them all. When I even consider selling one, I plug in and say no way.

19. valiant

valiant Tele-Holic

Just got one amp.....Valvetrain 205 (5F2a Princeton) but sometimes get a loan of a Cornell Romany....aspire to be a two amp household for reasons of socialability and also 'cause the
    Cornell Romany has such great tone....however a 52 Telecaster and a tweed Princeton is such a perfect match and really a good telecaster and a 5F1 Champ is all yer need for round
    the house.....really haven't got room for lots of amps and in terms of volume only low-watts need apply.

20. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I got. A.a.s too , amp aquisition syndrome....sf super rev, sf champ, goodsell 17, winfield typhoon 15, classic 30,drri,vox,kustom 3x15

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.