1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by umktcxw, Nov 30, 2020.

1. umktcxw

umktcxw TDPRI Member

Hi - this is for sale on UK Ebay:

"Lawsuit Era Telecaster (F)ender Logo 1970s/1980s?"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lawsuit-...356370?hash=item1aab13e0d2:g:Em8AAOSwO6BfvSRp

Serial number: E346279 would make it:

Production year: late 1982 - early 1985
    Made in Fullerton, USA
    Production year: late 1986 - early 1987
    Made by Fuji-gen, Japan

The logo and serial are chipped - just look wrong. To be fair, the seller suggest it might be a replica.

Anyone any thoughts?

Cheers

2. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

wait, i don't understand the question. you're asking if it's a fender? or you're asking if it's actually lawsuit era?

lawsuit era means cheap(er) japanese copies from the late 70s early 80s. i'm not sure why someone would fake that, but i guess they do command higher prices than chinese partscasters.

umktcxw and TokyoPortrait like this.
  3. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I am interpreting this as a 70s Japanese copy that has a Fender neckplate and Logo from the way it is described.

umktcxw and TokyoPortrait like this.
  4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Looks like a genuine Fuji Gen Tele to me. Immediately after Lawsuit era Ibanez and Fernandes Fuji Gen brought out quite accurate US 70/80s style. My guitar teacher had a wine red big headstock Strat with the same features of 3 bolt microtilt and F-tuners.

umktcxw likes this.
  5. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Lawsuit guitars were replicas, often better, guitars than the originals they were copying. I cannot comment on Fuji- Gen ( legal reasons) other than to say they made Tokai, Greco, Ibanez ( early), Fernandez, Burny, Profile in the same factory as they made Fender MIJ guitars ( although I cannot substantiate this) but they were extremely good guitars. That was Fuji- Gen in the 70s and 80s.
    They even made high quality Epiphone acoustics under license to Gibson.
    Today they are collector's items and are worth the $1500 or so they command. Check out eBay Lawsuit guitars.
    Yamaha SG guitars go for up to $5,500 and are great guitars. Ibanez Artists ( I owned one) are also semi - valuable. Try getting a George Benson model under a few $$$$$.
    It's not about the money- they are extremely good guitars and still sought after 40-50 years later. Deservedly so, they are made well and play well.
    Nothing about that guitar tells me it's a lawsuit, it could be a partscaster with a Fender decal. , Anyone can buy a Fender decal but a Japanese guitar should say MIJ or Crafted in Japan. That's all I know. Good luck.

umktcxw likes this.
  6. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

Dunno, but if this seller thinks 3.4kg / 7.5lbs is “heavy/hefty,” then they’ve never held, say, an Ibanez Roadster...

Anyway, how does the price stack up in the U.K. against similar guitars?

Pax/
    Dean

umktcxw likes this.
  7. umktcxw

umktcxw TDPRI Member

Currently £175 - which could be really cheap - depending on what it is. I just like the look of it - the body has seen a load of bumps and scrapes, just need to hope that it plays well.

8. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Scratching my head.....

9. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Most use the 'Lawsuit era' to describe the lawsuits Gibson brought against Ibanez in the 70s. Ibanez was the only one involved in the suit. Granted, Ibanez was involved in supplying music stores with private label copies and it was for the open book headstock.

So when 'Lawsuit era' is applied to Fender-type products ... it's just odd like seeing an elephant on a tricycle.

Jakedog likes this.
  10. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

but overall, they are cheaper. there were a lot of lawsuit guitars, they weren't all made by fujigen. some are of high quality and some aren't. i wouldn't mind having an ibanez 2460. i'm not sure i'd take a gamble on a random tele of unknown make unless it stays at 200 pounds. i really have no idea what this thing is.

Tonetele and umktcxw like this.
  11. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Varnish on the fingerboard looks like it is freshly buggered around, and one can see that there were other machine heads on it originally.

umktcxw likes this.
  12. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

Too good to be true? Do you mean is it a Fender?

The answer is probably not. The fact the seller thinks it's not but says he or she "doesn't really have a clue" suggests to me that they have more then a clue that it's not a real Fender (possibly told as much by the pro musician it came from). If they were that clueless, then I would have thought they would be advertising it as a Fender as they would be none the wiser. It seems they are hoping someone will assume it is a real Fender and take a chance on it.

Whether it's worth even £175 as I replica, I would say not as it looks to be in dreadful condition and who knows who the manufacturer was. The seller is about 10 miles from me, but even pre-covid, I don't think I would trying this out as much as I like Teles and like a bargain!

umktcxw likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.