Tony Bruno Custom Amps Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by arlum, Jan 19, 2020.

1. arlum

arlum Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Tony Bruno is the best amp designer and builder I've ever come across in almost 59 years of playing the guitar. The only possible equal or better would be Ken Fisher of Trainwreck Amps. I've never had the opportunity to play through a Trainwreck. He too is legendary but the total number of amps Ken built make any hope of owning one, or even trying one out, near impossible. I've mentioned Ken Fisher because I read much about Ken and his amp builds and I've heard them utilized by Brad Paisley. That said ....... Brad also now has Bruno Underground 30s in his amp stable and makes excellent use of them.

Before anyone brings him up I'll just state that I own or have owned amps by Mark Sampson of Matchless, Badcat and Star amplifier fame. He's fantastic. Yet, in my opinion, a couple steps below Tony Bruno.

Again, before anyone brings up Alexander "Howard" Dumble I want to state that while his amps may be some of the most expensive and hard to get I do not believe he is as good of a designer or builder as Tony. I've heard Howards amps used by both Santana and Robben Ford and they sound wonderful. I don't think they sound as good as Tony's Underground 30.

I'd like anyone who owns any of Tony's Custom amps to chime in here. The Underground 30, Tweedy Pie, Pony, Cow Tipper, Lead Man or Super. These amps represent Tony Bruno at his best with no constraints to budgets or production figures like the designs he's done for other amp manufacturers like Vox, etc. Tony's Custom Amp line is Tony using every dream, thought, tool, idea, option, odd but killer, who would have thought, pure amplifier genius to its maximum capacity. Excellence begets Excellence.

I own two identical Underground 30s. I bought both of them used because "new" is very expensive and his builds are recognized as extremely long lasting. I had to reverse some previous owner stupidity on my second purchase but now I've got both of them sounding absolutely perfect and identical to each other. Both were made between 2003 and 2008. Both have Tony's wonderful three knob reverb on the front panel. Both are heads sitting atop Tony Bruno matching cabs loaded with one Celestion Alnico Blue and one Celestion G12H30. Both utilize an NOS Mullard ECC83 / 12AX7 in the first gain stage, NOS RCA 12AX7As or 7025s to complete the preamp tune line, Four Holland made Amperex EL84s and a Mullard Rectifier tube.

I'm very interested in Tonys Tweedy Pie range of amplifiers. I've never owned or played through one but I love "tweed" tone and have wondered what magic Tony worked with it.

I'm hoping to start a club here but I have a hard time finding others who have come to own and appreciate the designs and build quality Tony puts into his Custom line of amplifiers.

BB likes this.
  2. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Not an owner, but a covetous lover of Tony's amps. Always wanted. An underground 30, (or a Cow Tipper) but alas... never had the funds.

Congrats on having two of these beauties! Sounds like you have had some nice amps and know tone. Thanks for posting this. How bout some picks? Enjoy those amps bro!

arlum likes this.
  3. arlum

I'll try to get some pictures together tomorrow. The only difference left between the two Underground 30s I own are the "power on" light color on the front panel. One's green and ones purple. That's just the way they were when I bought them. I bought both of mine used. The first was perfect but the second needed some NOS tubes and one speaker replaced to make it identical to the first one. I purchased the first one for around $2800. The second one was $2500 but after doing the required upgrades to bring it back to original it ran me close to $3500.:rolleyes: Still ..... since both were heads with 3 knob reverb and included the matching Bruno 2 X 12" cabs which now have matching Celestion Alnico Blue / G12H speaker combinations they would have ran me $4656.00 apiece brand new so I'm good with the prices I paid.

4. arlum

Here they are
    FFD36959-FE8C-4CD0-B6B6-94DEB65E9C2E_1_105_c.jpeg 01E72E14-09CD-4910-8E38-ACBF04EDA0DA_1_105_c.jpeg 350968B3-DF55-4A47-9BD4-A60C9EB1DBD7_1_105_c.jpeg 32454104-CFD4-4BE2-876F-3EEE34D1B686_1_105_c.jpeg 543E2EAA-641A-48D3-9B2A-333C5C1B0BC1_1_105_c.jpeg 33179E13-8ECF-4209-AA8C-C124D1ED2917_1_105_c.jpeg

5. tlp123

tlp123 Tele-Meister

Been very curious, read a lot about them, been wanting to play thru one.....

I would love to hear his take on a Marshall Plexi-ish design. By everything I've read I know it would be great.....if he does such a thing.

For the past couple of years that's been my sound.

But....what I'm craving is something with less sag and cush than the typical plexi.

Right now....that's Wizard.

Still haven't worn the new off my MC 25 & MC 50.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.