Tony Bennett and Diana Krall

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DougM, Jul 4, 2020.

1. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I knew about the album he did with Lady Gaga, but I just found out about this one. Tony sounds as good as ever, maybe even better. I'll be lucky to be still breathing at his age, let alone singing with such power and grace. And, I'm still surprised that Diana is married to Elvis Costello. Such awesome talents, all 3 of them.

2. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

That album is saved as a favorite in Tidal. It gets played a lot.

DougM likes this.
  3. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I am always torn when the subject of Tony Bennet comes up. As a fanatic Sinatra fan, the way Tony has tried to copy just about everything Frank did bothers me. Tony started painting after Frank did, Sinatra started doing duets....Tony started doing duets. It was actually Tony who has given the advice to new singers to steal everything you can and make it yours. I even met him in person the night prior to a performance in Lincoln Nebraska when he was shopping for a grey tie.....they didn't have the tie he wanted and he flipped out. Insulted everyone and called all withing ear shot a bunch of stupid hicks.

Yet I am always torn, because he does have a great voice and carries on the torch for the genre that i enjoy so well. He is likely a very nice man and I probably just caught him at a bad moment, but I do wish it had never happened.

I wish him well and enjoy his singing....but will always be torn on my admiration.

4. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Thanks for that video. It was killer. Great band, great song, great performance. Like how she swung “bumpy road to love,” and how understated she was. I’m just smiling ear to ear.

DougM likes this.
  5. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

I’m a big Sinatra fan, but I like Tony, too.

If you’ve never heard the album that he did with Bill Evans, you should listen to it.

PacificChris, howardlo and DougM like this.
  6. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

I honestly think Tony has a better pure voice than Frank. But Sammy Davis Jr had the both beat in that regard.

DougM likes this.
  7. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

Just spent a chunk of change on a new high end home audio system and the DK/TB album was one of the first albums I played on it. Pure heaven.

howardlo likes this.
  8. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Meister

Details?

9. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

OK...

Pass Labs INT 250 integrated amp,

Harbeth Super HL 5+ 40th Anniversary speakers,

MSB Discrete DAC with dual power supplies,

Roon Nucleus +,

ToneQuest Rockett 88 speaker cables,

Mackenzie interconnect cables,

HiFi Man speaker stands,

Streaming with Qobuz and Tidal. Also have Amazon HD.

No turntable or analog stuff...yet. Just digital streaming for now. Actually sounds pretty darn good. Is that what you meant by details?

DougM likes this.
  10. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It wasn't the voice of Frank's that was incredible as much as it was his phrasings...nobody comes close. A perfect example would be in the song "Send in the Clowns". Many singers have done that song, but only Frank phrased the line "...you in mid-air" as "...you in mi-dair". It prevented the stoppage of wind so he could push out the lyrics. Only Frank did that in every song that he sang.

As for the best pure voices? I really love Lou Rawls, but Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, Nat Cole, and Sammy Davis sure round out the upper positions in any order you choose to place them.

As for Tony? Wonderful voice, just tries to copy Frank too much and lacks originality in everything that he does. His strength really is that he is the last one out there still doing it, so he remains the ambassador of that era.

11. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I think you're all doing a disservice to Astaire. I think he was a huge influence on all of them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.