1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tonight Show Guitarist

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by KRZ4TELE, Feb 9, 2017.

1. KRZ4TELE

KRZ4TELE Tele-Holic

I'm a pretty regular viewer of the tonight show with Jimmy Fallon.
    The guitarist in the Roots house band plays a different cool Gibson guitar every time I see the show and
    always exhibits all manner of fretboard gymnastics, but I haven't heard a note he's played yet after several years of watching. Anybody know something about him? He certainly looks like he's tearing it up!

viccortes285 likes this.
  2. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

3. mrgp52tele

mrgp52tele Tele-Meister

Not a fan of The Roots. Everything they play sounds the same. Same drum beat, same sound. I don't understand why some think QL is a great drummer. Letterman's band blew them away. To each his own.

RedRock, DonM, bender66 and 2 others like this.
  4. mrgp52tele

mrgp52tele Tele-Meister

Just my opinion

RedRock likes this.
  5. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

He has a great story about Prince breaking his guitar, I think the one you mentioned.

Basically Prince came on the show and played the guitar in rehearsal, liked it, and wanted to buy it, but the guy didn't want to sell and he went back and forth with Prince's people but wouldn't sell. So Prince played it during the show anyway and threw it up at the end as he does, and no one was there to catch out. Took a big piece off the headstock that had to be repaired.

6. threadbare

threadbare Tele-Holic

Work at a NBC affiliate so I have to watch at work every night. I like when someone sits in with the Roots because they have to play "real" music and Captin Kirk gets to stretch out a bit. He can really play, but they seldom let him. No shortage of cool guitars though.
    My favorite late night band is Conan's love watching Jimmy Vivino play!

bender66 likes this.
  7. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Love Jimmy! Those guys look like they're having fun & tear it up. I miss the band sketches involving Max & the band, but I don't watch it much since the move.

Jimmy seems really cool in his rig rundown & loves to talk gear. This is worth 45 min.

threadbare likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.