tonight show ~ Fallon ~ is this really considered funny?

Harry Styron

Friend of Leo's
Fallon is from SNL, and there has only been one funny person from SNL and they fired him: Norm MacDonald.
He is sometimes funny and sometime not, like the rest of the ilk. Dennis Miller was also on SNL and had similar leanings as Norm, but was much less funny. I don’t like SNL and never did. I also don’t enjoy Disney.

Gimme Chris Rock or Dave Chappell or Roy Blount Jr! Or Richard Pryor or Bob Newhart!

skitched

Tele-Meister
He is sometimes funny and sometime not, like the rest of the ilk. Dennis Miller was also on SNL and had similar leanings as Norm, but was much less funny. I don’t like SNL and never did. I also don’t enjoy Disney.

Gimme Chris Rock or Dave Chappell or Roy Blount Jr! Or Richard Pryor or Bob Newhart!
(Chris Rock was on SNL)

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
When he was on SNL was around the time I stopped watching it, pretty much because it wasn't funny anymore. I think Will Ferrell was on at the same time - yuck. Haven't watched the Tonight Show since Johnny Carson left; same reason, Leno wasn't funny and neither is Fallon. Heck, Johnny wasn't that funny either but I grew up with him and I liked the give and take with Ed McMahon.

I'm not sure they want a really funny person on these late night shows or else they'd hire a real comedian who can make people laugh. They want someone generic that appeals to both conservatives and liberals and isn't going to get grandma's panties in a bunch. Surprised they haven't given Bob Sagat a chance yet. Jimmy Kimmel - same thing. He's kinda make you smile funny, not bust your gut can't-stop-laughing funny.

Now if Chris Rock was a host, I'd watch it all the time.

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
I didn't find it funny but the "music" was awful. I could only get through about half of it.
There is plenty of bad music on YouTube. There are bad originals and bad covers. The reverse is also true.
Fallon appeals to a different viewer. I wouldn't expect Leno fans to like it. I could never stand Leno.
The thing about it is that you don't have to watch it if it doesn't appeal to you.

popthree

Poster Extraordinaire
I didn't find it funny but the "music" was awful. I could only get through about half of it.

The thing about it is that you don't have to watch it if it doesn't appeal to you.
Agreed, and I changed the channel. But I wanted to discuss it on here since I thought the behavior lacked good taste and I wondered what others may have thought about it.

Northern Tele

Tele-Meister
I don't watch TV but from the the odd bit I see, it seems television personalities these days are not there because they are funny,engaging or smart. Rather they get airtime if they are a sniveling,virtue signalling moron who is willing to pander to odious hollyweird celebrities.

Rodney Dangerfield is my idea of someone who was funny.

matmosphere

Tele-Afflicted
Team Coco all the way. Conan is great as a talk show host. I think he understands the job and obviously puts in the work go do it well.

Fallon does not.

Leno used to do hilarious standup, but was just never any good as a host. I think he’s great with his own material, but tanks when he’s given other peoples jokes to read. Probably like what would happen if somebody like Chris Rock got to host, he wouldn’t be allowed to do his thing.

Letterman was great, nothing else needs to be said.

Kimmel is on TV, also nothing else to add there.

like him or not Colbert’s sense of comedic timing is impeccable.

68tele

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
last night i watched a little bit of the tonight show. fallon did this bit where he and, i think it was the members of 'the roots', shared music they had each found online. all of it was stuff that an amateur recording artist had made. the segment was called songs that shouldn't be played or something along that line. they would share a song, playing it over the air on a smart phone, which sounded like crap, obviously, and then they would all make fun of the song. what is the point of this? why would successful people like fallon and the roots think it is funny to pee all over aspiring artists like this?

Okay, I just saw the bit. My opinion: 2 of the 4 songs were obvious goofs, not serious in any way: "I Like Cereal", and 'Eating Potato Chips to a Beat'. 1 song was obscure and I couldn't even really locate easily, and one song was outsider music released 50 years ago. I wouldn't count any of it as being from 'aspiring artists' at all.
Was it 'music they found online'? Not necessarily - Fallon said that they might've found it, OR the 'artists' sent it in to the show.
Was it anything to get outraged over? Nope, if anything the 'artists' got plugged on national television .
Was the bit funny? Nah, it was weak filler.

popthree

Poster Extraordinaire
The part of it I saw was song 1 and Fallon said he found it online. They were not kind about it, and came off as mocking the performance, which sounded like someone really trying to be good and quite serious.I changed the channel as I thought it was very unkind of Fallon and his friends to behave that way.