Tongan Volcanic explosion...

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
Mrs R swears that she heard the explosion, and so did some friends. We are 2.5k kms away from Tonga. Tsunami reached here, strong enough to damage some boats in harbours on the northern coast.
1642367219943.png
Still not much news out of Tonga as yet, NZ & Aus are sending surveillance planes today.

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
nah...just nature being nature
Yep, good old Plate tectonics in action. Not very far from where I'm sitting right now is the Hikurangi subduction zone, where the Pacific Plate is sliding underneath the Australian Plate. Apparently the parts of it closest to me are currently 'stuck' and if/when it releases suddenly, we are in deep doo-doo.

NZ also has 12 active volcanoes.

" The subduction zone offshore Gisborne accommodates ~6 cm/yr of plate movement while offshore the Wairarapa this decreases to 2-3 cm/yr.

GPS measurements in the North Island suggest that parts of the plate boundary beneath the lower North Island are locked and building up stress that will eventually be released as earthquakes. Earthquakes that occur at the boundary between two plates at a subduction zone are referred to as subduction earthquakes, or sometimes as "megathrust earthquakes".

Because much of the plate boundary is beneath the ocean, when an earthquake occurs it may suddenly displace the seafloor and all the ocean overlying it and consequently generate a tsunami."

Last edited:

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
Update - A second NZDF plane (C-130) is leaving for Tonga shortly, with provisions and water-desalination equipment.

Still no news on when comms will be restored, although there is apparent confirmation that the fibre-optic subsea cable connecting Tonga to Fiji is believed to have been damaged at sea.

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Is this eruption still going? or was it the big blow then the volcano settled down?...

was the location on the sea floor?. or on a build up of older rock/lava?...

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity
That appears to be a pretty significant eruption but information thus far is still kind of limited.

EugeneWeemich

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Yep, good old Plate tectonics in action. Not very far from where I'm sitting right now is the Hikurangi subduction zone, where the Pacific Plate is sliding underneath the Australian Plate. Apparently the parts of it closest to me are currently 'stuck' and if/when it releases suddenly, we are in deep doo-doo.

NZ also has 12 active volcanoes.

Oh wow.... first time I experienced an earthquake was in NZ.

fingers crossed.

new bandname, tho: MEGATHRUST!

jimmywrangles

Tele-Holic
There may still be more to come, this volcano erupts roughly every thousand years or so and is currently 1100 years from the last one so it's right on schedule, when it does erupt it does so with multiple explosive eruptions like the one we've seen here.
My source was some volcanologist guy who seemed to know his stuff. He had a beard so I believed him.

ce24

Poster Extraordinaire
About 6 or so hours later at around 4 am my son was awakened by his dogs went outside and BOOM HUGE BANG them rumbles for like 15 MINUTES. All the neighbors in his neighborhood thought it was the military base doing maneuvers.... Nope wasn't that... It was the volcano blast..... In Wasilla Alaska!

Last edited:

jimmywrangles

Tele-Holic
We had a thunderstorm that afternoon so any explosions we heard got lost in the rumbles.
Very few volcano's in Australia so I'm a little bummed I didn't get to hear this one. I'm on the East coast so it should have been loud.