Tones for Praise & Worship

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by RedBarchetta, Sep 19, 2011.

1. GeoB

GeoB Tele-Holic

Modern tone? Any tone continuously overdone is.... overdone.

Any song that's too wordy (i.e. too many words) you can count on the congregation not singing along (i.e. keeping up) and therefore not worshiping.

Any song overplayed doesn't allow any music to drop through the cracks.

Look around when you're playing, listen, think dynamically and with experienced tonality in mind. Your congregation is diverse and appreciates diversity in the music presentation.

Week after week after week of bombastic assault will result in little, if any real praise going on.

And that the truth about musical interest and the human ear.

2. ETomlin

ETomlin TDPRI Member

Hi GeoB

You make some great points. I have some points myself on this subject. As I've just recently began getting back into CCM/P&W and coming to it from the perspective of being away for far too long, and especially a great lover of it, I have to say that going with something that is the current trend has a lot of merit. First off, let's just have the mindset that the majority of the folks writing and performing are in it for the right reason. For me, the current trend is popular for a reason- catchy riffs, simple, not overly complicated and easy on the ears. Admittedly this is one of the very few times that as a Christian I would say that the "popular" thing is good. Particularly for the local church. In our case specifically many of the folks there have not heard anything close to what would truly be "contemporary" CCM. This works well for our small congregation (typically 300 +/-). The goal for myself is to be a bridge between the generation gap that exists because we know for a fact that there is a portion of our church population that craves more modern worship music along side the well-established hymn population. Yesterday after premiering six new songs to the congregation that were all guitar friendly I had multiple people both young and old stop by and tell me how much they appreciated it. Who would have ever thought in our relatively conservative Southern Baptist church?

Yes, anything done too much becomes driven into the ground BUT we are very fortunate in that right now, the time is right for us to introduce this to our congregation because it's all so new to them. It's a wonderful time to see the Lord use new things for His unchanging glory. :)

3. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Tele-Holic

you mean like the hymns? :D

4. ETomlin

ETomlin TDPRI Member

Great one there!

Okay, to come back onto topic as it's getting a bit off into the sideline here...

I took about 3 hours on Good Friday when the church was closed for the day (no one there but me all to myself, where my gear stays) and finally got a lot closer to the target sounds that I have been trying to get to. I want to thank everyone for their inputs. Now I just have to keep tweaking as able and hopefully will get a chance to try out some nice pedals to see how they differ from the rack unit I'm using.

5. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Good to hear! Good luck with the continued search!

You have an opportunity in your current situation to do some fun stuff. I attended and helped start a church plant a few years ago. The leaders were immersed in Acts 29 ideology which was heavily influenced by Mars Hill. They refused to do any CCM. Their thought was that worship is ascribing worth, or "worth ship" which is a fairly literal translation. Therefore they would not perform any song that did not have a significant, meaty, and meaningful theological content. So, we did a lot of hymns. Which I always found to be ironic given the age of the average attendee was about 24.

We did our own arrangements of every one we did, and sometimes did not even use the original melody. Every song was an original creation, at least in regard to the arrangement and sometimes the melody as well. It was a ton of fun and stretched us creatively. I personally struggled with the fact that 99% of our songs were sung about God, and maybe 1% were songs that we sang to God, but musically, it was a blast. It sounds like you're in a setting where your team could do some of this. The effect of arranging solid old hymns as modern sounding and feeling songs can be really powerful. Of course, variety is the spice of life, so there is nothing wrong with traditional sounding hymns interspersed with modern CCM. I personally don't like it (to listen to or to play) when every song on a Sunday has a similar sound. I like variety.

6. ETomlin

ETomlin TDPRI Member

Dee, that's a great idea. We started looking at doing this a few weeks ago but got busy with the Easter Special. We will begin to look at this soon I think.

Thanks again!

7. ETomlin

ETomlin TDPRI Member

Would the Voodoo Labs GCX work too? (Im thinking not, but not sure)

What I'm wanting to do (if I ditch the rack gear)

Is to:

Have both the Strymon TimeLine and Big Sky midi'd together so that they both change presets together at the same time with one button push and have a handful of OD pedals, etc. individually toggled at-will. Essentially this allows both Strymon units to form the patch or preset together.

8. CapnCrunch

I googled the Voodoo labs controller. It appears to be a midi controller, so I would think it would do what you want. I know some guys use the Roctron Midi Mate to control the Timeline, so I think it would work for the Bigsky as well.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/rocktron-midi-mate-midi-control-pedal

9. bikeracr

bikeracr Tele-Meister

Check out Disaster Area Effects. They make true bypass controllers that have midi incorporated for Strymon pedals. A lot of the P&W guys over at TGP swear by them.

Check out the threads "P&W Pedalboards / Rigs"

10. CapnCrunch

I avoid TGP like the plague but just checked out the Disaster Area website. Pretty cool products. Looks like they have a pretty good range of simple Midi switchers on up to combination pedal/midi switchers.

Do you know if they have any affiliation with Strymon? Many of their switchers are targeted or designed specifically for the Timeline and the Bigsky. Interesting. I don't currently use Midi switching with my Timeline but some of the simpler switchers intrigue me. I haven't made a jump to a programable switcher mainly because I would have to completely re-design my pedal board, which is currently housed in a Halliburton Zero case. It's maxed out though, so no room for switchers.:cry:

11. ETomlin

ETomlin TDPRI Member

Yes I just was pointed to the Disaster Area stuff last night myself. Looking into that as a possible solution.

12. theskypilot

theskypilot Tele-Meister

I try to get close to the recognized sound, but I like some slightly different stuff. I use analog delay more that anything. In fact since I got the Wampler Faux Tape Echo I have only used it and the Carbon Copy. I have a Nova Delay on the board, but it is about to go. I was using a Digitech RV-7 delay, but now use the Vox AC 15 Amp revel and tremolo exclusively. I do use a TS-9 for drive, but find myself more using the MXR Modified Bad*** OD more now than ever.

Let the original sound inform you, but don't let it control you.

13. GeoB

GeoB Tele-Holic

Hymns played at 120 bpm... probably.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.