Tonerider Vintage Plus

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by '69ThinlineCC1, Feb 18, 2011.

1. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Good luck! Let us know how it works out for you.

2. Wilk

Wilk TDPRI Member

Thanks, i'll report the results, of course.

3. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

I found with the VPs I had to get the bridge pickups set up "just so". The HCs are a lot more flexible as far as being able set them close to the strings or back them off.

4. RT1a

RT1a TDPRI Member

Hi all, I just got the new Toneriders in the mail today. I am really excited about installing them. However, I suddenly realized from reading this thread I need to shield the cavities of the body first. I am going to try using shielding paint this time. I built a strat last year and it is shielded using foil. Sticky messy job. If the shielding paint works good, I'm going to rip the foil out of the strat and use the paint on it.

Building guitars is a lot of fun!!!

5. Wilk

Wilk TDPRI Member

Today during rehersal i tried my VP neck at higher volume/gain and the noise was barely noticeable. I exagerrated this, what i thought was the problem, but in fact it is normal single coil hum i think. Sometimes i'm hypersensitive about meaningless details, so now i can say that the tonerider which i got is a great pickup.

dotnetbrett likes this.
  6. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Great news, Wilk.

I love my VP's, and my HC's - and my OV's. All are great p'up sets for the Tele.

7. jakaj

jakaj Tele-Meister

Hey everyone- I'm thinking of getting tonerider vintage plus set - but what I am really after is a bridge pickup with some bottom to it - not fuller - but more "concave" with bass as well as presence treble - I love my Classic Vibe 50s blonde - but the bridge pickup just does not have any bass - and I have heard twang with bass before! (Texas specials) - just wondering if there is much bass from tonerider bridge (- I am using an el84 amp, likes bass frequencies from the guitar unlike fender amps...).

Thank you in advance for any replies or advice :)

8. dotnetbrett

dotnetbrett TDPRI Member

You can ALWAYS get a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder Bridge. You will like the Bass a lot

9. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm thinkin' he bought a set about 5 years ago.

Dismalhead likes this.
  10. jakaj

jakaj Tele-Meister

dotnetbrett thank you for your reply! And you are right sjtalon, I bought several in fact :), haven't tried a quarter pounder yet though. I figured out that the tone I was looking for was a blend of a pickup selection, girthier strings (I settled for 11s in the end - i lean towards nines for sly fusion licks but like a bit more resistence on my picking hand for other genres), a mildly clipping loud fat clean amp, the right hand position (just a bit left of the bridge pickup) and pickup height and balance. As far as pickups go -
    so far I am liking the slightly overwound GFS single coil-sized dual rail a tad lower than suggested, the lower output suits me better for distorted tone, and a bit hotter works well on pushing the amp. That said - the suggested quarter pounder is certainly in the cards - next time I have time not spent playing or working, I'll try it for sure.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  11. mapesaudio

mapesaudio TDPRI Member

I just purchased a Tonerider trt2 hot classic for my bridge postion, haven't received it yet, I have the stock cv50 bsb tele neck pickup. I just would like to know if the polarity will be reversed as it was when stock I understand the toneriders are made in the same factory. The reason for my curiousity is that I installed a Fender CS Broadcaster in the bridge and both pickups have the same polarty. It sounds ok, but not sure middle position on 3way switch is quite what it's supposed to be. I like the alnico 5 in the neck, but if there's a polarity issue, I'll get the trt2 neck pickup to match. Thanks in advance.km

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  12. sjtalon

The Tonerider/CV bridge would be South top polarization, and the necks are North to give noise reduction.

The broadcaster is NORTH top.

Sounds like you had a out of phase issue with that one.

13. mapesaudio

mapesaudio TDPRI Member

Phase seemed to be OK but the polarity was certainly an issue. I appreciate you letting me know that both the tonerider and cv bridge are the same polarity. Seems I'll be alright. Thnx.

14. sjtalon

>but not sure middle position on 3way switch is quite what it's supposed to be.<

For the most part, If you had them wired right phase wise, them being the same or opposite POLARITY wise, shouldn't really effect the tone, just that you would not have the noise reduction with two of the same polarity in a set (when played parallel).

Could be just that it was a mis-mach with the broadcaster. Some don't play well with others.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.