Tonerider pickups.

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by sleezzee top, Feb 26, 2014.

1. sleezzee top

sleezzee top Tele-Meister

I'm going to replace the pups in my squire affinity. I don't use the guitar much as I mainly use my A merican tele and les paul but fancy upgrading anyway. I think im going to go with toneriders but don't know whether to go for hot or vintage. I kind of thought the hotter pups might add depth to the affinity as it is a thinner guitar than other teles. Any suggestions? ? Thanks.

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Don't conflate tone thickness with body thickness. I'd go hot if I was playing rock and vintage if I was playing country or funk or other styles. You can add a boost pedal to thicken up a vintage wound pickup to the output of a HB, too. IMO

3. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I installed a set of Hot Classics in my Fender MIK LiteAsh. the LiteAsh now is a great companion to my Classic Vibe Blonde with AlNiCo III pups. hot, nice & gritty.
    I believe the TR vintage pups are Alnico 5 magnets - so, cleaner and more jangly-er.

what's your preferred style?

4. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

I have both sets in two different guitars. My take is that I wouldn't say that what differentiates the Hot Classics is a particularly hot signal. It's not super hot. It is a very different tone however, mostly because it's A3 versus the A5 in the vintage plus.

If I'm going to play something more in the vein of classic rock, I'll grab the guitar with the A5's. If I'm going for a more country/Americana sound, I'll grab the A5's.

To oversimplify things: The A5's are Don Rich, Pete Anderson territory and the A3's are Rolling Stones/Black Crowes territory. I like both a lot. Different tones, but both good.

5. welshman71

welshman71 TDPRI Member

I've got the Hot Classics and they're great, I think whatever ones you get you'll love em...

6. sleezzee top

Thanks guys. Well I have my us standard tele with standard tele pickups. Might try something with a bit more bite this time.

7. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

Have not played the Tonerider pups on a Tele, but I am a huge fan of their build quality and tone in general. I actually have used their Rebel 90 (P-90) in Teles and Strats, and it sounds great.

8. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I've used hot classics in a tele, loved them, especially the angry bridge pup. I've used the blues strat pickups, loved them even more. I've used a PAF style humbucker at the neck. Loved it again.

9. matt mcgriff

matt mcgriff TDPRI Member

How about the CV tele pickups? I just sold a set on eBay, brand new, for $35. Seems to be the going price. Very comparable, from what I've heard, to the toneriders. Even made in the same factory.

10. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

The Hot Classics sound great- not overwound at all. The VPs aren't to my taste, but I'm not going for the clean twangy thing. As far as the CV tele pickups only difference is plastic wires instead of cloth. They are made in the same factory and wound to within 5% of the Toneriders. The newer CVs are equivalent to the VPs. The original CV's in the 50's tele were equivalent to HCs.

11. sleezzee top

What are cv?

12. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Classic Vibe

13. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

I have Tonerider pickups in my beat up leave-it-in-the-living-room guitar that I use for noodling in front of the telly.

Bought them for the price, love them for the sound. They hold their own against any other similar voiced pickup. TBH pickups are simple things and once you get past the cheap crap there's little difference between a good low priced pickup like a Tonerider and a booteek hand wound pickup. Biggest difference is usually the price.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.