1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

tonerider Hot or Vintage p90 for thinline

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by roflcopter, Nov 19, 2012.

1. roflcopter

roflcopter TDPRI Member

Geesh... first post for me in probably a year. I'm finally getting around to my build that I started 2 years ago. It's a thinline tele with dual p90s. Swamp ash body with african mahogany top and a ric/prs style f-hole. wilkinson half bridge with brass saddles and a 5way switch with series/parallel and phase switching

I can't decide between the ToneRider Hot90 or Vintage 90 set. I'm looking for a different sound that what I currently play, just not sure what each is really gonna give me compared to my keystones.

Current Setup:
    MIM with BL Keystones and a 4way switch - compensated 3 brass saddle bridge.
    Homemade Timmy - homemade ts808 with some 'boutique' mods - behringer compressor
    Vox AC15c1

current Backup guitar is rondo tele with hipshot b-bender

I'm planning on getting a tele custom (rondo $120 special) soon with the dual HB that I'll probably go PAF in, but that's down the road a bit.

I'm leaning toward the hot set, but I'm not sure how well that would pair up with the semi-hollow body. Hoping on some input. Maybe its a matter of a hot90 bridge, vintage neck?

Any suggestions? Thanks folks!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  2. revelation2012

revelation2012 Tele-Meister

I have the Tonerider Vintage P90 in the neck of my highway one tele with 500K pots. I like it very much. It is clean and takes OD well. Very nice warm clean jazz tones. Very good blues too. I have it paired with a Dimarzio Chopper T which is very much in the tonal range of a bridge P90 IMO. However it is about a quarter again brighter than my neck P90. So I have to roll the tone back a little if I have the tone wide open on the neck P90. Thinking about giving the SD Pearly gates for Tele a try in the bridge.

Anyway I am satisfied with the Tonerider Vintage P90 in the neck position of my tele. Don't see the need for anything hotter in that position.

3. roflcopter

roflcopter TDPRI Member

Thanks for the response Rich. I too will be running 500k CTS pots and a .022mfd orange drop with the super switch.

That makes sense to run vintage in the neck position, but now im curious about the bridge. Seeing that they'll be able to run in series, which i doo too often, maybe i should just get a matched vintage set and make my next guitar a bit hotter, otherwise i'll probably have an issue with balancing them when ran together in series, unless i swap out my volume pot with a concentric.

Otherwise vintage seems the way to go, and I think itll match the guitar a bit better as itll be a thinline.

4. emisilly

emisilly Tele-Afflicted

I have the vintage set in a Yamaha semi-hollow. Great pickups! They are plenty hot for me, and I like an overwound pickup for the most part. I think the hot wind Toneriders might be too hot in this guitar at least.

5. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta Tele-Afflicted

Watching.....

6. roflcopter

roflcopter TDPRI Member

Thanks for the response. Just what I needed to hear. Gonna throw the vintage set on my xmas list. Might as well, the timing is right. haha.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.