Tonerider Guitar Pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by SacDAve, Feb 18, 2019.

1. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Started a new guitar want to have two Hum-buckers was thinking about Tonerider's I used some in a tele build I really liked them and their prices are pretty reasonable. I was looking at the Octane and Generator I like hot pickups those two caught my eye. So any thoughts on them? Also where is a good place to buy them? If anyone one has a suggestion of other pickups to consider that would be great, not looking to break the bank on this build.

2. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

I've got a set of their city limits pickups in my strat build and a pair of humbuckers (alnico 2 i think) in an Epiphone LP. Both are great, that LP has consistently been one of my go to guitars since I rehabed it about 5 years ago. I bought my pickups from byo guitars.

They're definitely good pickups, but I haven't bought any in several years because I decided GFS is equally good for quite a bit less $$$. I can't truly compare though as i haven't bought any strat or hb pickups from GFS, just tele and P-90...

3. SacDAve

I've bought some GFS pickups kind of hit and miss. I was looking GFS and thinking it might be a good starting place you can always upgrade. I've had my best luck with Seymour Duncan's but the $$$$ is just to much.

4. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

I'd rank BYO one notch about Tonerider, and both a couple notches above GFS.

5. unfamous

unfamous Tele-Meister

MacDaddy Music did me right, TR pups seemed to be priced similarly everywhere.

6. SacDAve

I checked out BYO I see an order in the near future. I need some other hardware items also thanks for the posting BYO

7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've put Toneriders in three different builds now, two of them Les Paul Jrs. The Alnico II Classic is a GREAT PICKUP. As good as anything you'll get from SD or DiMarzio. Haven't tried the Octane or Generator, but if you want classic PAF tone that distorts beautifully get the Alnico II.

I've gotten them off EBay, Amazon, and believe it or not, Walmart.com. Should run you less than $60 including shipping.

SacDAve likes this.
  8. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Dupe.

9. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I got an Alnico IV Classic (AC4) for the neck position a couple of years ago. I'd have to say that it's better than anything similar to SD or DiMarzio that I've tried. I have a really hard time bonding with humbuckers, especially in the neck position. The AC4 neck is really open sounding, and the bass never seems excessive (specifically what I don't like about many neck 'buckers).

Before I got the AC4 neck pickup, I partially assumed that it would just sound like a variation of something I'd already tried. That's actually been my experience with every Tonerider pickup I've purchased, which also includes a Tele Hot Classic (TRT2) bridge and Tele Vintage Plus (TRT1) neck - all have been really balanced sounding, w/o any funky peaks or unpleasant treble characteristics.

Dismalhead and DADGAD like this.
  10. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity

I also had a great experience with the Alnico IV Classic -AC4's. Put them in a Epi LP.

A very high quality build and I thought they sounded great !

11. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I am regularly gigging Tonerider PAFs that replaced the over-fat 49x set in an old 90’s Gibson. Open, bright, clear & no woofy bass.

The Bare Knuckles intended for it never made it in.

Zero hesitation to recommend the Toneriders.

SacDAve likes this.
  12. SacDAve

Just ordered the Tonrider's Alnico IV Classics - AC4. Going to be while before I can test them still working on the guitar

Matthias likes this.
  13. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

I had some AC4s. Great, smooth tone. They were serious fun when they were in my Blacktop Strat for a while.

14. sudogeek

sudogeek TDPRI Member

Put Tonerider alnico 2s in my MIC Epi Sheraton II (along with new CTS pots, caps, etc) in place of stock pickups and DM 36th Anniversary PAFs - a world of difference. They’re staying.

15. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

So good -- great prices. Have a couple of sets - Generators and an Alnico Classic sets. Worth more than what they charge for them. I'm mainly a Bill Lawrence/Wlde pickup user but the Toneriders are great for more traditional humbucker tones.

16. nashsed

nashsed TDPRI Member

I have a Tonerider Octane in my Epi SG and the difference between the stock pickup and the Tonerider was astonishing.

The Octane is fantastic for high gain settings with excellent clarity. It also cleans up quite well when you roll down the volume but it can't match a proper PAF style pickup.

Also, since it's such a high output it tends to overpower the neck pickup in the middle position.

If you're gonna be playing a lot of metal go for the Octane or else the Generator is a good compromise which could be a more well rounded option.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.