Tone woods...is this a subject best to death yet?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Mission6_OG, Sep 17, 2021.

1. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Is this the time where I can ask if $90 paper in old Easter European tank’s motor oil cap is superior to 2cent polypropylene or 4 cent teflon “tone capacitor”? :D

bebopbrain and aging_rocker like this.
  2. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Friend of Leo's

Yep. That's the correct answer. :twisted:

All guitars sound a little different. You might be able to hear it, you might not. Almost nobody listening to you play it will notice it.

Some folks will happily debate differences in 'tone' that a bat with an oscilloscope could not distinguish in a double-blind test. Good for them. ;)

Kiwi_Neil and ghostchord like this.
  3. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

When I watch the Barnwood Builders tear down all those log barns.... all I see is the tone wood in the smaller studs, beams and rafters.... often they cast them aside if they only need the big log beams....

old old well seasoned wood... that's the ticket..... tone wood a plenty in those old structures...:)

Rmccamey, ghostchord and Mission6_OG like this.
  4. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I will go up the back of my property with a chain saw and shop for my build tomorrow.

5. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I’m stuck on Paulownia. Build a few to see what you like, and sod all the nay sayers… then go make music with it.

6. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I know this subject has been cussed and discussed, as my mom used to say, but something just occurred to me. Korina. It never seems to come up much in these endless discussions, and maybe it deserves consideration. I recently got a Hamer Special K (think LP special with P90s) made from it and I really like the way it sounds. Plus it's nice and lightweight. Has anyone ever built a Tele out of it?

7. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's

The best ever really great tone wood is well practiced tone fingers. They'll make almost anything sound good, or nothing sound good without them.

ChicknPickn and Happy Enchilada like this.
  8. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

There's an electric guitar hanging on the wall in a local pawnshop here that's made out of a TOILET SEAT. Once again proving the insanity of threads @ tonewood for electrics. What about the clear lucite guitars played by famous rock stars? And the ones in the YouTube videos made from corrugated cardboard and cement?

9. Bassdawg

Bassdawg TDPRI Member

Laminates are used extensively in the world of the double bass as well.
    FWIW - The Zoot Suit was a cool SG. I almost bought one when they were still being made and GC was not having much success moving them. A buddy of mine advised me to stay away... that they were 'not popular'... indeed, look at the used prices when they show up now. Crazy money, I should have snagged one.

10. Bassdawg

Bassdawg TDPRI Member

Kiesel is actually flipping the concept on its ear .... they charge a premium for a "Royal Ebony" fingerboard (variegated ebony), when it actually costs less. Brilliant marketing.

Rmccamey likes this.
  11. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

I concur and would like to add that before heavy metal and high gain pickups became POPULAR (not the advent of metal) in the late '80s, it was accepted in guitar playing and building circles that wood type made a difference on solidbody tone. As heavy gain became more popular, so did the idea that wood type doesn't make a difference in solidbody tone. Well if you play with a large amount of gain, the pickups are going to distort and color what you hear or don't hear. As more and more sites like TDPRI appeared, the idea that wood doesn't matter was spread on threads like this one by uncredentialed internet bloggers!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    Zepfan likes this.
  12. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

Paulownia is very resonant and is being used by some of the boutique builders like Suhr. However paulownia is such a soft wood that I would be worried about dents and dings from even the lightest bumps caused by daily use.

'Besides, although a few early samples were made in pinewood, it was a material too soft and too easily dented for a professional guitar. Therefore Leo soon switched over to what later catalogues would term a "clear blond hardwood," ie ash.'*

*The Fender Telecaster - The Detailed Story of America's Senior Solid Body Electric Guitar; by A.R. Duchossoir, Copyright 1991 by Hal Leonard Publishing Corporation, Milwaukee, WI, page 11

Attached Files:

13. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Paulownia is no softer than that Sitka Spruce in the top of your 45 year old D-35.. J-200, or the 714 ce... the difference is, those guitars are all 3000.00. which tends to kick-start your awareness of the guitar and compels you to be careful...

It's not rocket science.... and just to keep ya up to speed, a 3 pound Tele Body in Swamp Ash is a lot softer than a 4.5 pound one..

r

14. h34vy d1st0rt10n

h34vy d1st0rt10n TDPRI Member

Tonewood the term invented by Gibson marketing BS. They sprayed BS so successfully, they can sell better? Just change 250k, 500k pots and play with values of tone capacitors 010-099 uf, in the cavity of your stringed plank of wood you can find them.

15. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Been beat to death, absolutely. Might be a little something to it on acoustic guitars, I doubt it, and nothing to with it on solid body or hollow body electric guitars. That is my opinion.

16. palethorn

palethorn TDPRI Member

Try changing the nut. Perhaps a graphtec one would darken the tone a bit. Different saddles perhaps? Try another pot value. I'm not convinced it's the wood problem.

17. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

Yes, kill it off. It's the ridiculous denial that makes this once interesting topic a stupid waste of time. If some people think it's okay to use the crappiest woods, why use wood at all? If your opinion holds more credibility than a well known obvious reality then fine - make your guitar out of an old couch cushion and leave the wood to the rest of us and stop bringing it up.

Maguchi likes this.
  18. ChicknPickn

ChicknPickn Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Saw/heard a guy in the seventies tearing up a Lucite Stratocaster. Sounded great to me. Didn't like seeing all the innards of the guitar, but I reckon that was its real purpose.

Chiogtr4x and Arfage like this.
  19. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

Yeah Those can be pretty cool. Different ones hide the wiring better than some. I wonder if they make a hollow one because that stuff is heavy.

20. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Back in the '80's while weekend window shopping at a MD Vintage guitar shop, my buddy, just for a moment, picked up a Lucite Stratocaster on display.
    The shop owner said
    " Be careful there, that's a $10 K guitar!" Yikes!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.