Tone tone tone blah blah blah tone do XYZ affect tone blah blah

PennyroyalFrog

Tele-Afflicted
What's the adage about a bad carpenter blaming his or her tools? Not completely relevant, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

fjblair

Tele-Afflicted
Maybe I'm just tired, or having a bad day, but seriously, I don't think I can stand another thread about whether and how much a tiny component of a guitar affects the holy concept of sacred TONE. That word doesn't even mean what people think it means anyway.

Here's the thing: if you have a passable axe and a decent rig and you can play so you don't sound like a fella made of thumbs, just stop obsessing about the minutiae of tone and just PLAY.

Why? Because:

1. Most people don't give dick about your tone.
2. The more you play, the better you'll sound, regardless of the tiny tweaks you make to your precious plank.

I propose the following: that we have a certain number of days each year on this forum when the word TONE is BANNED.

And breathe . . .
The 6.5 microfarad resister mod will change your mind, but don't use the cheap flux.

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGHH!!!

Someday, and it won’t be soon, our colleague, Hemingway, will get the the gear fever. Yeah, you can inoculate, say prayers, burn incense, wear GAS goggles, but you live, you breath and suddenly you have at least 5 or 6 guitars. Because, tone.

So Ima do our colleague, the Movable Feast dude, a solid. I’m going to post some Tone Quotes, fresh off the postings right here on TDPRI - and maybe that will be enough to chill the GAS. Yeah, probably not, but we don’t give up easy.

Word:
“Nice crystalline jangle…

Letting those power tubes cook…

Grainy natural distortion and the vibrato is so chewy..,

notch out some ice in the upper/mid highs while still retaining some sparkle…

Has a lot of bark and not as stout as the neo creamback…

Could it really be as simple as a lower gain v3 tube?…

It has a velvety breakup that I’ve rarely heard in other amps and which just keeps getting smoother and more liquid as the gain and volume go up…

Very lively, spanking and expressive…”

And for bonus points, a link to the Tone Stack Calculator. Because, tone.

Just put a new speaker in my old SF Princeton. Der FleiderMaus!