Tone tone tone blah blah blah tone do XYZ affect tone blah blah

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
As long as you have a good pair of these.
And no, it doesnt matter if they are PF flyers, Converse Taylor
or New Balance. Black/white give the tone.

Attachments

• tshoeCapture.JPG
    tshoeCapture.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 4

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire
Maybe I'm just tired, or having a bad day, but seriously, I don't think I can stand another thread about whether and how much a tiny component of a guitar affects the holy concept of sacred TONE. That word doesn't even mean what people think it means anyway.

Here's the thing: if you have a passable axe and a decent rig and you can play so you don't sound like a fella made of thumbs, just stop obsessing about the minutiae of tone and just PLAY.

Why? Because:

1. Most people don't give dick about your tone.
2. The more you play, the better you'll sound, regardless of the tiny tweaks you make to your precious plank.

I propose the following: that we have a certain number of days each year on this forum when the word TONE is BANNED.

And breathe . . .
Yeah you’ll play better, but with the same tone.

Bluego1

Friend of Leo's
We hold these truths to be self-evident: if you practice you will sound better. If you don't practice, nothing with wires or tubes or strings or op-amps will make you sound better.

But also: sometimes a sound will inspire you. You pick up a guitar and it opens a window.
This is correct. Just by playing more and more it amazes me how the fingers learn to do the little things like instinctively muting adjacent strings, cutting off notes properly, etc. Every time I play a song, my tone gets better.

Winky

Tele-Holic
This is correct. Just by playing more and more it amazes me how the fingers learn to do the little things like instinctively muting adjacent strings, cutting off notes properly, etc. Every time I play a song, my tone gets better.
The instinctive muting thing always amazes me. I'll try to show someone a chord with some strings muted, and it will always take me a while to figure out which strings I'm actually muting, and which ones I'm playing. I almost can't do it if I'm thinking about it.

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
Maybe I'm just tired, or having a bad day, but seriously, I don't think I can stand another thread about whether and how much a tiny component of a guitar affects the holy concept of sacred TONE. That word doesn't even mean what people think it means anyway.

Here's the thing: if you have a passable axe and a decent rig and you can play so you don't sound like a fella made of thumbs, just stop obsessing about the minutiae of tone and just PLAY.

Why? Because:

2. The more you play, the better you'll sound, regardless of the tiny tweaks you make to your precious plank.

I propose the following: that we have a certain number of days each year on this forum when the word TONE is BANNED.

And breathe . . .
I don't like the tone of your comments. OK, actually I do- at some point you have to accept your guitar as a complete musical instrument and concentrate on making music with what it has to offer, which for pretty much any instrument is a lot.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity

Why? Because:

And breathe . . .
If you have a Good song and, you play it well, thew rest takes care of itself.
YEP!!!

Old Verle Miller

Tele-Meister
If you're in a cover-band and the crowd knows the music, you have to pay attention to making the song sound "right" for them. That includes "tone."

In session work the producer is in charge of the finished product. That can include "tone," i.e., "... make it sound more like ..."

In any other situation you are your own arbiter of the sounds you make.

oldunc

Friend of Leo's
And you know this part how???
I don't know it, but it sent me to Wikipedia to look up Don Rich- always entertaining; people might find some interest in the section on "musical equipment" at the end of the article (his practice habits and dreams are not discussed). Also found out that Buck Owens didn't write "Act Naturally", which I suppose I should have known.

dswo

Tele-Holic
I get the point, especially about gear. But guitarists aren't the only musicians who pay minute attention to how they sound. If it were just a question of hitting the right notes, I have an iPad app that can do that.