Tone tone tone blah blah blah tone do XYZ affect tone blah blah

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
Maybe I'm just tired, or having a bad day, but seriously, I don't think I can stand another thread about whether and how much a tiny component of a guitar affects the holy concept of sacred TONE. That word doesn't even mean what people think it means anyway.

Here's the thing: if you have a passable axe and a decent rig and you can play so you don't sound like a fella made of thumbs, just stop obsessing about the minutiae of tone and just PLAY.

Why? Because:

1. Most people don't give dick about your tone.
2. The more you play, the better you'll sound, regardless of the tiny tweaks you make to your precious plank.

I propose the following: that we have a certain number of days each year on this forum when the word TONE is BANNED.

And breathe . . .

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Yup!
No one ever cared about my tone.
I only care a little.
What matters to me is what I play, and how it fits/works with the people I play with.
It’s easy to obsess about the nuances of how we sound.
I’ve done it.
I think my tone has arrived.
Hope y’all like it.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
I don’t play to people so in fact no one does care about my tone

What’s wrong with spending an hour and a half of a two hour playing session twisting knobs… ;)

It not PERFECT yet!

Oh no! Now I’m talking about it

Last edited:

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Maybe I'm just tired, or having a bad day, but seriously, I don't think I can stand another thread about whether and how much a tiny component of a guitar affects the holy concept of sacred TONE. That word doesn't even mean what people think it means anyway.

Here's the thing: if you have a passable axe and a decent rig and you can play so you don't sound like a fella made of thumbs, just stop obsessing about the minutiae of tone and just PLAY.

Why? Because:

2. The more you play, the better you'll sound, regardless of the tiny tweaks you make to your precious plank.

I propose the following: that we have a certain number of days each year on this forum when the word TONE is BANNED.

And breathe . . .
1655132413510.png

Durtdog

Poster Extraordinaire

Why? Because:

And breathe . . .
Preach it, brother!

Call Me Al

Tele-Meister
Tone: the thing we talk about when we don’t want to practice.

Personally I’m pretty wide open to gear, as long as I get the EQ and gain staging where I like it. I think it’s important to experiment and find gear we like, cause we play our best when we like our tone; but it’s a rabbit hole for sure.

VonBonfire

Tele-Holic
I've discovered if you play an ES style guitar with any wear on it people constantly want to know "how old is that guitar". I think the general public assumes any ES guitar is of 50's or 60's vintage. "Old man's guitar".

I once had a guy eyeball the brand name on my headstock and another time two guys snuck around the stage to have a good look at the back of the SF Twin I was using and were having a quiet discusson. Probably reported me to the blues police and now I have a warrant out.

People who play teles and strats are all sound the same and so never get asked nothing about tone. No one asks what kind of kitchen sink you have either.

*ducks