1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tone Specific Pickups?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Chatnoir, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Snake oil

2. Kanga Blue

Kanga Blue NEW MEMBER!

You might want those details if you were an employer and you were offering a fulltime job for big dollars then maybe they would be reasonable requests.

Most consumers don't do full body cavity searches on the producers of their tools they buy on eBay for example.

Not all people are like you or even like you. You probably will say I have an agenda but really it seems that you and some of the other guys that are extremely out of line in basic etiquette should find something better to do like maybe actually improve your guitar playing?

Have you tried the product? No? Is it a dangerous product for the public? No. Well what's the problem if some one markets their nail file with an air of mystery, no specs and descriptions you don't like etc. Will you ask for a full cavity search on the sales and manufacturing people of the nail file? Will you complain that people paid good money for that nail file? Why are you saving the world from people paying more this nail file than the cheap nail file you use? Do you manufacture cheap nail files? What's your problem man?

Seriously get a life. Go get a manicure or learn to sing and play guitar better?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Hey welcome!
    You know, I don’t want to be obvious guy, but this thread is about pickups, within the pickup sub-forum. There is another sub-forum for playing techniques, etc. Asking for the pickup and manufacturer information is part of smart consumerism. If I intend to plunk down over 100 bucks of my money to anyone, I’m going to do my homework first, so I know what I’m paying for, even if that is aesthetics or quality of service. If I was buying inexpensive pickups on eBay or from GFS, I’m not as concerned with the details, but I’m still informed. 400 bucks? Hah, better be vintage or some P13/Kleenex dead-on reproductions by a person I can talk to on the phone/email/social media connect (if I’m lucky *cough*Curtis *cough* Novak). Most of the time though, it’s Cavalier, Rose, or Buddha pickups for me. No BS from these dudes.

So the problem really isn’t from the naysayers/objective consumers, the problem is purely for “Virgil Arlo” and Tone Specific to figure out. The ‘air of mystery’ and ‘not-very-specific-but-Specific’ strategy can only cover so much of the market.

Bruxist likes this.
  4. LtKojak

LtKojak Tele-Meister

This "Kanga Blue"guy joined just to attempt to somehow diminished the opinion of somebody challenging Tone Specific/Virgil Arlo (these are one and the same) products, in a thread that's been silent for two years?

This activity is highly suspicious, this kind of troll activity by either the maker himself of one of the associated minions is consistent with other cases in other Forums in the past, resulting in the banning of the Tone Specific/Virgil Arlo guy, even as a vendor! Consider yourselves warned!

Posted as a service for the enrichment of the collective knowledge of the TDPRI community.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    ezra1 and Bruxist like this.
  5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I should of taken a screen shot, but I saw a banner ad at this forum site (when I wasn't logged in), said "What are people saying about (TS/VA) pickups at TDPRI.com? Click to find out" --something along those lines. Pretty much consistent with what people have been saying...shady stuff.

6. BruceBoise

BruceBoise TDPRI Member

I am going to try a set of those Tone Specific Blues and I believe that I will be able to tell how they compare with my other guitars. After I play them a while, I'll make some comments. Great discussion - thanks for all that info to help make decisions; building guitars and achieving specific guitar sounds are my passion.

7. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

The demos sound great but so do demos of a LOT of other pickups that are a LOT cheaper. And from pickup makers who do list all the specifics of their products. Not that specs can tell you how a pickup will sound but at least they are willing to post the info

I've had high $ pickups that were disappointing and cheap pickups that sounded great, and in between of course.

Bruxist likes this.
  8. hutt

hutt TDPRI Member

I have installed Lollars, Seymour Duncans, EMG, Fender Noiseless, Suhr and Lace Sensors in guitars I have built. Yes, there are differences in tone between them but mostly the differences are subtle and tweaking amp settings or pedals can narow the differences. My own opinion is that as the price point goes up, the differences or 'improvements' get smaller, not larger. There is a lot of hype and marketing savvy in the pickup world. U-tube videos by manufacturers are bound to sound great because they can optimize the amp/pedal/room combinations. One of the problems is that it is almost impossible to go into a guitar store and try guitars outfitted with aftermarket pickups for comparison so we rely on video presentations or"shoot outs" that can just get confusing. I recently built a hardtail strat with Lollar Golds for pickups. The guitar has the best sustain of any strat I have played. I took the pickups out and replaced them with American Standard pickups....and the guitar still had the sustain. So, to further confuse the issue, tone is not just in the pickups.

9. shallbe

shallbe TDPRI Member

From Tone Specific earlier in the thread:

"We don't have all of the answers. Nor do we claim to be the only source of good Bluesy, Jazzy, Twangy or Punchy tone. Our approach is geared towards a certain type of consumer and may not be right for every player."

IMO, that type of consumer is called gullible.

sugarinthegourd likes this.
  10. sugarinthegourd

sugarinthegourd Tele-Meister

I wouldn’t expect pickups to have any impact on sustain. Not 2 different brands/models of single coil Strat pickups anyway.

11. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I have to vehemently disagree there. Fender makes their PV59 and PV65 Strat pickups, and the ONLY difference is that the 59s use Formvar and the 65s use Enamel, and the 65s are brighter sounding. So, IMO, coating CAN and DOES make a difference.
    PV 59.jpg PV 65.jpg

12. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

People are free to spend their disposable income on whatever they want, and some people need luxury items to make them feel good. This why there are Hermes Birkin handbags that cost $40k or more, and there are also cable companies that sell $20k speaker cables, and $2k power cords to well heeled audiophiles. I feel that a lot of this is snake oil and overpriced, but I can attest that I have personally tried better but affordable cables in my stereo system, and a good set of RCA interconnects in the $100 range, and speaker cables in the same price range DO sound better than the cheapy RCAs with red and black plastic plugs and 24 gauge speaker wire. I was most skeptical of power cords, so I tried swapping out all the different standard removable power cords in my posession (the kind that come with many guitar amps, stereo components, and computers) and I COULD hear differences between them.
    What I find most intriguing is that many well known players who have very expensive and collectible amps like Trainwreck and Dumble, for the most part use the stock pickups in their guitars, and if they do use something else, it's usually no more exotic than SD, Dimarzio, Lawrence, Kinman, or Fralin, not the super booteek ones.

puddin likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.