Tone shaping pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by peterbilt1101, Sep 3, 2014.

1. peterbilt1101

peterbilt1101 Tele-Holic

I play a Strat, two teles, and an sg through Fender amps. My favorite OD pedal is the Wampler Euphoria. I love all the different flavors of dirt available with this pedal. But I wish I had more tone shaping ability. There's not enough oomph in this setup there for leads. I originally purchased a Wampler Black 65 to get a pedal I could use as another eq setting or another gain channel if I wanted, but I'm thinking I need more control than that.

I'm looking for something that'll allow me to use my euphoria for dirt but allow me more control over tailoring the eq. Especially the midrange, which is obviously lacking with a tele and BF fender setup. Maybe I wanna set it up for a solo boost, or maybe to get a throaty Marshall sound. I dunno.

I've tried the MXR 10 band eq and the boss eq and didn't jive with them. My list of contenders at the moment is the TC Spark Boost, the Suhr Koko Boost Reloaded, the Empress Paraeq, and the Voodoo Labs Giggity.

Thoughts?

2. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I find that the Sovereign makes a great alternative pedal to keep on the board with the Euphoria.

3. peterbilt1101

peterbilt1101 Tele-Holic

Thanks. Yeah I've had a sovereign. Great pedal but not what I'm looking for

4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Tc spark boost loads of color

5. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

Spark boost works great for me as well

6. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Hello.... EQ.
    [​IMG]
    Boost and parametric EQ all in one. Check out his new improved model.

Practically nothing you can't enhance with this. I had Empress, but seemed a waste as most time I was just using mid band, rocket is perfect. Sold Empress, kept Rocket, small footprint, superb clean, clear EQ and boost.

Only big problem, after trying it post and pre your other drive pedals you'll want to buy a 2nd one so you can do both.

7. ellisvertellis

ellisvertellis Tele-Holic

Funny, i have the same setup: SF Pro Reverb, Tele and SG, Wampler Euphoria, ... and plenty of "oomph". Maybe a speaker swap? I use a pair of Jensen P12Qs.

I do use a TS a lot too, and a Fuzz Face for leads. Oh yes, almost forgot my Xotic EP booster that is practically always on. Maybe thats the one providing the oomph?

8. peterbilt1101

peterbilt1101 Tele-Holic

Thanks guys.

Dave, that VFE Rocket EQ looks cool, but I can't find one for sale anywhere. Their site also shows a Focus pedal that's kind of like a TS boosting pedal with more EQ control. No dice on that one either, but that one looks very very interesting to me. Not sure what's going on there.

Ellis, yes I would suspect that EP booster is what's giving you the "lift" that I'm looking for.

I do think I'm in the market for some sort of preamp / EQ / boost pedal. Just trying to figure out the right one.

9. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Over the years many of the greatest players in the industry have gotten "oomph" into their leads with the basic old Tube Screamer - especially into a Fender Amp. Any TS variant will do the trick. It doesn't have to replace your Euphoria... it would compliment it... when stacked it will open up several options to your tone palette. "Oomph" is the reason a Tube Screamer is on so many professional pedal boards.

If you really want tone "shaping" (the TS is a fixed mid-hump) then any old EQ should do the trick. Graphic or Parametric. Kick it on when needed. This you tube clip shows how Tom Bukovac uses a simple Boss EQ for solos... It's about the 40 second mark and lasts about 5 - 10 seconds.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  10. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

He just re-released it last week or so after updating it, I'd just shoot him a email he may have one ready to go.

11. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Voodoo Lab Giggity is designed specifically for fine-tuning your existing chain. It can fatten up single coil guitars, thin out humbuckers, or enhance OD and dirt pedals.

12. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

VFE also just released the Focus, it's is tone adjustment/mid boost/utility pedal vien. Kind of a TS but without the scream part and more control over the midrange shape.
    [​IMG]

http://www.vfepedals.com/focus.html

13. Snowwizard

Snowwizard Tele-Holic

I play a jazzmaster and Tele through a '65 princeton reverb reissue. So I relate to your issue.

The biggest shapers of my tone are my compressor (Cali76) and my Colour Box.

The cali76 really is a studio grade compressor and adds something very special to my tone.

The colour box makes a night and day difference giving me control over gain shape and highs, mids and lows. Can't recommend it highly enough.

The vfe focus looks legit. As does the eqd tone job

The one that's really intriguing me right now is the pettyjohn pre drive.

14. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

Oomph?
    The 'Billy Brain, of course.
    Then tweak in your tone from the guitar.

15. TeleFool75

TeleFool75 Tele-Meister

I agree with others and say the tc Spark boost (regular not the mini) does a great job. I also have a BBE sonic stomp at the end of the chain like BBE recommends and it makes a difference too. Those things are dirt cheap on eBay and might be worth a try.

16. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

The Giggity is an excellent EQ. I am currently using a Catlinbread 5F6 & that satisfies all my EQ needs. Check out EQD Tone Job.

17. 73Telecaster

73Telecaster Tele-Meister

Peter at VFE makes some really nice stuff. Now I'm thinking about his EQ! Anyone want to buy a Source Audio Programmable EQ? lol

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.