Tone Report DIY builds - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by Tom Freeman, May 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Tom Freeman

Tom Freeman TDPRI Member

For anyone who gets the Tone Report online newsletter each week, you may have noticed that a few recent issues have had articles describing how to build a few pedals. I think there were things like a vico-vibe trem, a Big muff varient, a couple fuzz pedals, and even a miniature amp in a stompbox format in this past week's issue.

Has anyone tried building any of these? Any thoughts on the build process for them, as well as the sound? Are they worth trying? I've been thinking of making the vico vibe/trem, but I've heard things about how there's a noticeable loss of volume when the effect is on.

2. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Holic

The tutorials in tone report look like decent walkthroughs. Haven't tried any of those particular builds, bUt you could follow their process and build pretty much whatever you want from this site.

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/

You can find just about anything you'd ever want there, as long as it's not a proprietary digital effect.

There are also a few great walkthroughs at the fit club at tonefiend.com

Disclaimer, it's an addictive hobby. You won't stop after just one.

Tom Freeman likes this.
  3. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I love this series from tone report. The fuzzes and trem are on my short list to build.

Tom Freeman likes this.
  4. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

I skip by them ... I suppose they're good for getting people at least looking at diy as an alternative.

5. Tom Freeman

Tom Freeman TDPRI Member

matmosphere, you're definitely right about the hobby being addictive. I just got into building my first pedal not too long ago, a silicon fuzz face clone. Now that I'm done university for the summer and have more time (and assuming my summer job pays me soon, more money), I'm planning on doing a bunch more builds, particularly a variant on the TS 808 circuit. However, the builds featured in tone report have caught my eye, and I have the feeling I'm going to try a couple of them relatively soon if nothing stops me...

6. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Holic

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/tstech/tsxtech.htm

This is a great read on the tubescreamer circuit. I just finished a build of one on a madbean board. It seems alright but I haven't had a chance to rub it through its paces yet.

There are a lot of great pedals based on the ts circuit. The Zen drive and the Timmy are both very well thought of and are very close to the ts.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.