Tone Press cell phone interference

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Atiron, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Atiron

Atiron TDPRI Member

I have been experiencing cell phone interference with both of my Barber Tone Presses (an older one and the compact version) and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. A search shows that there has been reference to it in the past but nothing recently. None of the other pedals on my board have this issue and both Tone Presses do it either by them selves or on the board with other pedals. I've tried different power supplies, amps, etc. I've also tried keeping phones at a distance but at gigs I still get the noise from patrons' phones. My Keeley 4-knob gets a tiny bit of interference if I set the phone right on top of it, but the Tone Press can detect a phone from quite a distance. For now, I am using my Maxon CP 101, which I like a lot, but I still miss the Tone Press parallel magic.

2. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

If you have two and both do it, it's poor design.

3. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

It is the secret...radio blender...

Luthier Vandros likes this.
  4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Contact Barber and ask them about it. I've always gotten great customer service from them.

Lies&Distortion likes this.
  5. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, email Dave. Best customer service I have dealt with

6. Luthier Vandros

Luthier Vandros Tele-Holic

Have you moved the location of the pedal since you swapped both in out? Reason I ask is I just stumbled upon a patch cable in my bag that picks up KFI AM 640.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  7. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

I've used what we used to call ouigee beads for outside RF interference or intrastage/interstage troubles. Used on transistor legs in certain circuits and used on the power supply leads in certain applications like video/external cameras. They are made from ferrite and can be little beads (with holes thru for components) or torroidal donuts (different sizes) for other applications. They truly did a magical job. If I 'uz you, I'd take a donut ferrite torroid and do a wrap around (in and out of the hole 4-6 wraps) on your power supply lead and see if that helps you. We bought them from Motorola or electronic parts houses. Cheap.

Luthier Vandros likes this.
  8. Atiron

Atiron TDPRI Member

Thanks for the replies. Dave has one of my Tone Presses in his shop right now. He is a maker of fine pedals and a first-rate individual. The pedal is quiet in his shop, obviously no cell phones are nearby. I have been using the compact one I have here for testing purposes. I just bought the compact one, wanting one to use while my original one was in the shop. But, much to my surprise, the second one displayed exactly the same issue. The old one had similar issues years ago and I removed it from my board and went back to the Maxon for a while. I had my amp tech take a look at the old one last and he sprayed it with air and I went back to using it. But recently the issue has been back and I thought it could be some intermittent problem that was wrong with the pedal. So I sent it to Dave and ordered a compact version for use in the meantime, thinking I could always use it on another board later on. But when I experienced the same issue with the new one, I did a lot of experimenting to figure out what was going on. I used different power supplies, cable, amps, guitars, etc., but the problem remained. One obvious answer is to keep all cell phones away, but that is not practical in the gigging reality world I live in. The pedals are so sensitive that people near the stage with phones cause the noise to happen. I had my board in a local music shop trying out amps recently and it happened when another customer walked past with a phone in his pocket. This caused me to wonder what was happening with the pedal and led me to send it to Dave. As I said, none of my other pedals exhibit this, so I was wondering if any other Tone Press users have experienced this as well. Thanks again.

9. NWinther

NWinther Tele-Afflicted

Common stuff back in the days....I could dial in Russian radio in our rehearsal room by just adjusting the volume on my guitar, other times I could change stations with my tone knob or just by move myself around. Guitars are not balanced low noise beings. It is a coil and a wire into another just as crude electronic gizmo....all of it is taking alot of noise in....and phones and other wireless stuff are modern days source of radio wave pollution.

10. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

See post #7. They worked wonders.

NWinther likes this.
  11. Luthier Vandros

Luthier Vandros Tele-Holic

Rock on with the ferrite bead recommendation. You can get some that clamp onto your power cord.

12. JayDee

JayDee Tele-Meister

Yeah, it's a common occurrence with pedals and sometimes amps when phones are really close. I've never had it happen from several feet away though.

13. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I've never noticed it, now I'm going to have to try and report back, as the Tone Press lives on my pedal board/bench setup. I always have my phone nearby, and my computer is also about 3 feet away.

14. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Update, I put my cell phone on top of my Tone Press and sent a text, and surfed the web on LTE and my wifi. I did hear one funky short burp out of it, but that was it. Far more noise from the phone when I held it near the test guitar (standard Jazzmaster style pickups).

15. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

I have never heard my phone affect my pedals. Guitar pickups for sure. Or my clock radio. But not out of my amp unless near the guitar pickups.

I believe you are, but I wonder why. Seems unusual.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.