1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Tone Pot 'travels' ... too loose

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by historicus146, Feb 6, 2012.

1. historicus146

historicus146 Tele-Afflicted

My tone pot ... when turning it ... doesnt stop where it should.
    If feels like it hits a 'stop point' but then goes beyond.
    ie... on a clock face going from 12....clockwise around to 12 ... but then beyond. There is a stretch where it 'floats' or turns with no resistance. Perhaps, to follow the clock model...about from 8 to 10.
    For those who are familiar with Scruggs tuners...it feels like a Scruggs tuner with the stop not set all the way.

The knob is not loose to the post.

Asking for solutions or suggestions...if anyone knows off the top of their head.

Thanks..

2. PaddyWagon

PaddyWagon Tele-Meister

Does your knob have a little screw on the side? Literally just last night my tone was doing this and I feared the worst and that I'd have to do surgery but it turned out that the little screw that clamps the knob down onto the shaft was just loose.

In my case the knob did not slide up and down, only rotated too far, which kind of matches your description.

3. historicus146

historicus146 Tele-Afflicted

That little screw was tight...but I cranked it again anyhow.....and whadda ya know..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.