Tone Pot Acting like a Volume Control

skeeterbuck

TDPRI Member
if wired correctly , and tone pot works like a volume pot , pickup is partially shorted inside.
Quite common this is the sign of a dead pickup.
I think you may be correct, though the pickup is not dead. I took some preliminary ohm reading and got some rater high readings on the neck pickup. Later today I'm going to unsolder the neck pickup and take some direct readings. I'll keep you all posting as to my findings.👍

skeeterbuck

TDPRI Member
I think you may be correct, though the pickup is not dead. I took some preliminary ohm reading and got some rater high readings on the neck pickup. Later today I'm going to unsolder the neck pickup and take some direct readings. I'll keep you all posting as to my findings.👍
Well, I checked both pickups and this is the reading on the neck pickup: 5.55 Meg Ohms! o_O I think I've found the problem. Unfortunately, the only other neck pickup I have must be reverse wound/magnet because when I use both pickups together, it's a thin out of phase sound. Hopefully I can get the original pickup rewound and I'll be back in business. Thanks to all for you help in solving this issue.

Chuck

IMG_0251.jpg

GuitarRod

TDPRI Member
I noticed that problem with my Legacy Tele and it was the way it was wired that really made me wonder; I've never seen or even heard of the output wire being soldered from the tone pot straight to the jack instead of the volume pot.

The volume was on full as rolling back the tone decreased the signal and darkened at the same time so right then and there I knew that was going to be a serious makeover under the control plate so i get rid of the brightly stiff 500K pots for a 250K CTS volume and MIJ 500K tone pots w/ retained 0.047 green Chiclet cap, rewired it with the output wire running from the middle volume lug to the jack and that double volume problem was solved at last.

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
Well, I checked both pickups and this is the reading on the neck pickup: 5.55 Meg Ohms! o_O I think I've found the problem. Unfortunately, the only other neck pickup I have must be reverse wound/magnet because when I use both pickups together, it's a thin out of phase sound. Hopefully I can get the original pickup rewound and I'll be back in business. Thanks to all for you help in solving this issue.

Chuck

View attachment 1034578

Yes, that IS rather high! UGH!

skeeterbuck

TDPRI Member
I had originally bought this set of pickups from Chris at Fatpups and reached out to him in regards to getting the pickup repaired. I had also sent him 2 pics of the pickup. In his reply Chris noticed that the ground lead from the coil to the eyelet looked suspicious. He informed me to send the pickup back and he would repair it for me. Me being always up for a challenge, decided to check it out and see if I could make the repair myself. Luckily the ground wire is the outside of the coil winding in this instance. I was able to carefully remove the cover and unsolder the ground connection black wire and the coil wire from the eyelet. It was them just a matter of removing one turn from the coil and re-soldering the black lead and coil wire back into the eyelet. I tested my work and got a reading of about 7k ohms. 👍
I carefully installed the cover back onto the coil, bent the tabs back snugly, and re-soldered the center tab to the ground wire eyelet. It's back in my guitar and working great and now can be adjusted with the volume and tone controls. 😍 Success finally!

BFcaster

Tele-Meister
That's awesome!! Good job, and glad the winder was so helpful and willing to fix any issue. Says alot in this day and age!

BTW, that blonde finish (what little of it you show in the pics) looks very authentic. Any more pics or details on the guitar?

skeeterbuck

TDPRI Member
This is my partscaster I assembled in May of 2017. Some specs just off the top of my head: 3 piece ash body already finished and aged by a guy/company called "Dutch Relics" in Holland off of Ebay. I don't think their around any longer. Musicraft neck with 57 soft V profile w/6105 SS frets, aged by MJT from pics I provided of actual blackguard Telecasters. Bridge and brass saddles from a parted out Fender Custom Shop guitar. Pickups are Fatpups Blackguard set. Callaham pickguard & knobs
IMG_0254 - Copy.jpg
IMG_0255.jpg